A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Giving Back

Giving Back

The love and support we have recieved from others in the community we live in is so amazing. Everytime I am able to help others my family is rewarded 10 times over. The lastest example, was helping the cancer center with their yearly fundraiser. They did a video about my fight with GBM. It helped raise 70K for the cancer center. Soneone was so moved by seeing it, they gave the cancer center 4 tickets to a college baseball game to give to us. They told us to be there about a half hr early. when we showed up we had front row seats and then a man came and had us go on the field. we took family pics with the team and mascot. They also geve my boy not just a signed poster but a real batting helmet signed by the team. The best part, it is his favorite team he is 8. my 11 year old daughter got a gameball and a t-shirt. This is just one example of atleast a dozen different way we have been rewarded by giving to others

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi JP

What goes around comes around my friend. Thanks from all of us to the great work you have done here and your post is a shining example of the silver linings that we need to look for in those dark clouds.

Cheers
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ditto what Cman said.
    Oh Josh, that was so very very nice of them.
    Bought a smile to my face.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Aww.

Sorry to be so utilitarian, but I have to point out that "giving back" and being able to help someone besides yourself ... even if there's nothing you can do to get well or into remission ... can make a big difference in your quality of life and how you feel from day to day.

I'm personally not too sociable IRL and still afraid to commit to anything with health and finances being so uncertain right now. But at some point I will run out of excuses and start paying back what I owe.

One little thing I plan to do ... mark one year anniversary of diagnosis by donating my ponytail to those Locks of Love charity wig people. It's the least I can do since mine didn't fall out.
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

Experienced User
    This is a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

Couldn't agree with you more Penni. Helping others is what unites us in this world. When we work together, amazing things can happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Penni View Post
    This is a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.