A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Diagnosed with 1 Intact Ovarian Cyst and 1 Ruptured Ovarian Cyst

Newbie New User

Diagnosed with 1 Intact Ovarian Cyst and 1 Ruptured Ovarian Cyst

Hello, my name is Alyssa and I was hoping that some of you could share your ideas with me. Let me tell you how I got to my diagnosis first:

Last Tuesday, May 29th 2012, I started having bad abdominal pains in the center and right of my abdomen. This started around 8 am and I called my mom later to ask her about it. I decided to make an appointed and got in at 11:10. At first my doctors were highly concerned I was suffering from appendicitis. After some blood work and an ultrasound of the area they sent me home but warned to go in immediately if the pains came back. For more than a week after that I continually got extremely sick to my stomach any time I would eat. My appetite was decreasing and I was feeling fuller quicker as well. I was all constipated and usually had only diarrhea when I could go. Then suddenly at 1 in the morning, on Friday June 1st, I was getting stabbing pains in my lower left abdomen region. At this point I was sure it wasn't appendicitis. My husband took me to the hospital where they did blood work (which came back ok), a pelvic exam, and two ultrasounds (an external and an internal). The doctors told me right away before my tests that they were sure I was suffering from ovarian cysts. The pelvic exam lined up with their thoughts so we did the ultrasounds which came back showing that I had one ruptured cyst adding extra fluid to my abdominal region, and one intact cyst. They said that the intact cyst could be a functional cyst, but they ended up decided not to do anything about either of them and told me to go home and make an appointment with my primary doctor. My appointment with him is on Tuesday the 5th of June. It is now June the 3rd and I am still having adominal pains regularly now, can barely eat because I feel so full, and my stomach almost makes me look pregnant at this point and I have to pee more often than usual. I'm suppose to take ibuprofen for the pain and Cephalexin, an antibiotic.

A little more about me:
    I am 19 years old. I have gotten multiple Bartholin's Gland Cysts already that have been drained and treated with a word catheter each time. My aunt has had problems with ovarian cysts and my grandma on the same side of the family has had problems with fibroids. My mom has also had dysplasia. My mom's mother died of breast cancer and I know at least one of my mom's sisters has had breast cancer. I have had a swollen lymph node in the back of my neck for at least three years now (that no doctor previously seemed worried about).

So I'm wondering if you have any idea if this may be more serious, or what my doctor might end up wanting to do when I see him on Tuesday. Any reply is well appreciated. I'm just a little freaked out here.

Hello, I am sorry you are having these worries.
    If the pain gets too bad before your Dr's appointment please go back to the ER.
    We can't speculate if this can be more serious than cysts or what your doctor may wish to do. Someone more knowledgeable than me on this subject will hopefully be along.

If you are not happy with what your Doc says then please get a second opinion. I hope that something will be done to ease your pain and to have your fears settled that it is "just" the cyst causing these problems.

Good luck.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016