A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Liver Abscess or Liver Cancer

Newbie New User

Liver Abscess or Liver Cancer

My father 57 years south asian(Pakistani) previously operated CABG on all four valves 1 and half year ago now some days ago he suffered from fever and abdominal pain(right side near ribs) when admitted in hospital labs found him victim of typhoid fever. Next day a sonologist carried whole abdomen ultrasound and found the following,

1.Liver
    -Normal in size, shape, homogenous texture and raised echogencity.
    -outer margins are smoth.
    -Hypoechoic well circumscribed lesion measuring 4.2 x 3.4 cm seen in right lobesegment VII may be suggestive of abscess.
    -No intra hepatic biliar duct dilatation seen.
    -C.B.D. measuring 3 mm, portal vein measuring 6 mm, IVC and hepatic viens are normal.

2.Pelvic/Iliac Fossa
    A lumph node visualized measuring 1.9 x 1.2 cm.

Gall Bladder, Pancreas, Spleen, Right Kidney, Left Kidney and Urinary Bladder all appear to be normal.

After ultrasound the consultant physician further referred for whole abdomen CT Scan.

The conclusion of CT scan is following

A well defined hypodense lesion measuring 4.0 x 3.2 cm is seen in segment VI of liver in periphery causing slight expansion of adjacent hepatic capsule. Another subtle small hypodense area measuring 2.81.0 cm is also seen in segment VII of liver. These both show no significant enhancement expect subtle wall enhancement . These are most likely abscesses. would recommend ultrasound guided aspiration with lab correlation.

Now yesterday the sonologist and radiologist aspirated the a little quantity of abscess but the physician said after looking the abscess that its not abscess but he suspects it as a mass or tumour in liver because of its colour. So, he suggested MRI and Biopsy and he thinks my father may be suffering from a liver cancer.

Please, tell me what is it I am very upset and confused is there any chances that my father do not have any liver cancer. Please reply soon with your valuable answers and suggestion.

Hello. I am sorry that your father and you are going through this.
    This time of tests and waiting for results is horrendous.
    We know how you are feeling as we have been through it too.
    There is no way that anyone here can tell you what it is.
    The answers have to come from your father's doctors when all the tests needed have been done. The time that they take to do these tests is needed so they can reach a diagnosis.
    Even the doctors do not know yet which is why they wish to do more tests.
    Good luck to you both.
    Aussie, age 59
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo or hap transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable. All I needed to hear. I am pumped and ready. BRING IT ON