A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: "Borderline Proliferating Tumor" inside my left ovary. Is this Ovarian Cancer or not?

Experienced User

"Borderline Proliferating Tumor" inside my left ovary. Is this Ovarian Cancer or not?

The pathologist found this tumor inside my left ovary.
    I have been reading up on it...one article said that it was neither type 1 ("low grade tumor") nor was it type II ("high grade tumor of malignant potential").
    The gyn oncologist deemed me "lucky," but warned me that "it can come back."
    Has anyone had this type of "middle ground" Endometrial tumor?
    Thank you.

Never heard of it, so they are saying it's precancerous? What kind of diagnostic test did they do?
    Married my best friend 12/10/11 :
    Hysterscopy with D&C 5/4/12
    Diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer 5/14/12
    160 mg/day of Megace (Progesterone) to see if we can stop the cancer and protect fertility
    D&C, and suspicious freckle removal 10/11/12
    10/19/12 All benign
    12/18/12- Megace decreased from 160 mg to 80
    2/7/13 Benign biopsy
    5/23/13-Benign office biopsy results!
    11/2013 Biopsy - Benign, Megace dose dropped down to 40/day
    1/2014 - My Doctors at OSU thought it would be beneficial to do another D&C to test a larger sample and the results were benign as well. The doctor suggested that I try weaning myself off of the megace in June. I have another biopsy in August, and if that goes well we can start trying for a baby!!!

SusyQ, That's what I have, but mine is serous, not endometrioid. I think the endometrioid type is very unusual, and it's hard to find information on any of the borderline tumors. The way it's been explained to me is they can multiply and spread like a cancer, but it does not know how to invade other organs as a cancer does. If it recurs it sometimes comes back as a low-grade invasive cancer, but usually not.

The good news (and it really is good news!) is they're usually found early and they're usually cured by surgery and they usually don't come back. Was yours stage 1?

Whether it's "cancer" or not depends partly on which doctor you ask. Mine is being treated as a cancer because it did come back and it's inoperable and it's causing the symptoms a cancer causes.
    Last edited by Serous2c; 07-22-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Experienced User
    Thank you for your responses.
    Serous, you are so right about my cancer.
    It is kind of in the type 1 category, rather than the serious type II.
    It is in neither "camp," right in the middle.

Hopefully it did not "drop any bombs" before the surgeon took it out with my ovaries and uterus.
    Hopefully, I did the right thing by agreeing to the hysterectomy.

Thank you.