A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Difficulty keeping my financial affairs in order

Difficulty keeping my financial affairs in order

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask you all a question. Since being diagnosed in 2010 with stage 4 colon cancer and then doing chemo and radiation, I seem to have a hard time remembering when to pay the bills, balancing my accounts, turng in paper work to social services to keep my health insurance, etc. I don't know if the memory loss is from chemo, pain meds or what. Am I the only one experiencing this? Thak you for letting me vent.

Can you have a calendar on the wall with big daily spaces that you can write upcoming things you have to do?
    This is what I have had to do for years as my memory was crap even before diagnosis.
    I put stuff on it for months in advance..date that rates have to be done, etc, birthdays for the whole year.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Senior User
    Hi Rainey,

Perhaps you have a close family member that you trust to help you keep track of the financial stuff. My husband and I have been taking care of my father-in-laws finances for over 8 years (he has alzheimers) and my mother-in-law just got diagnosed with terminal lung cancer (extensive small cell) so he has just spoken with her about taking care of hers as well. It is a bit of work but it is actually a relief for us to do that because now we know that the bills are not forgotten and government rebates etc are applied for. You would then be able to concentrate on getting well! Best

Just a thought...all the best!

Thanks sounds like a good idea, but sometimes I feel like all I do is sleep and go on appointnent. I will get a calendar today and try to get myself organizes

I don't have a lot of help or support, which I think makes it harder. Before I got sick, I was the one that did everything and was there to help whoever needed help, but when I got diagnosed, it seems like everyone disappeared. Since I am sick I still have to do everything I did before except work. I am so tired I don't think I could work

I am so sorry that you are going through this with little or no support in real life.
    Many of us know about people deserting when they are needed most.
    Sometimes too the ones we never felt would can front up to the bat.
    We are here for you.

Another idea may be to have 2 calendars going..the second one in the toilet that we have to contemplate if we need to spend some time in there.
    I used to have the times tables in there with my now adult kids.
    It gave them something to stare at when they were trying to get out of doing the washing up.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Rainey, I don't really have anything to add, but it's good to hear someone else is in the same spot.

I have never ever missed a bill in my life and suddenly I am losing track of things and finding I have no memory of what I did or did not do. What a scary feeling.

Oh, one thing I just did that I expect will help was organize my crap, meaning put everything away according to my usual system. I let it lapse last winter when I went into treatment, and I hope that was a big part of why I was having problems. (My system is a little accordion folder for statements and paid bill stubs. I keep unpaid bills in the original envelope and stack then on top of the folder until theyre paid. I also write the amount and date due on the envelope so it's easy to see when I have to pay at a glance.)
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.