A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: What symptoms did you or your loved-one experience?

What symptoms did you or your loved-one experience?

I've been wondering what other people have experienced symptom-wise that prompted diagnosis. I'm here to gain information and support. Thank you so much.

Hi Echo,

Welcome to the forum. I assume that you have the unfortunate need to be here, whether it is for you or a loved one. Either way, sorry you had to find us but glad that you did.

You'll find lots of different experiences here. For my dad, his only symptom was jaundice. Usually this presents if the cancer is advanced, but my dad's case was rare. The tumor was just in the right spot to cause a blockage in the bile duct and cause jaundice. I guess you could say he was fortunate since they were able to surgically remove the tumor, but unfortunate in that the cancer didn't stay away. He is undergoing treatment right now for a recurrance in his lungs.

I can tell you that lots of people experience pain in the back, side, or abdomen. Some experience weight loss. Some have nauseau or diarrhea. It varies from person to person and I'm sure others will chime in soon enough.

Feel free to share your story when you are comfortable and best of luck to you.

Debbie
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Hi

Like Debbie's dad my dad just had jaundice no other symptoms

Lisa

Senior User
    As you can see by the replies, symptoms are all over the place. For me, it was abdominal pain in the upper right quadrant that was aggravated by eating, feeling hungry and full at the same time so that I could not eat much and losing 10 pounds in three weeks and then continuing to lose weight. My pain was in the wrong place, so the GI doc said, but still he suspected something was causing it. After ultrasound, endoscopy, CT scans and an MRI, the endoscopic ultrasound with a biopsy confirmed it.
    Diagnosed June 20, 2012 with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.
    Surgery on July 19, 2012, distal pancreatectomy with removal of a portion of the stomach and colon adhering to the pancreas, splenectomy.
    Pathology report July 26, 2012, clear margins all around
    Stage 2 (T3N0) in July, changed to Stage 3 Oct. 10.
    Started Gemzar Sept. 17, 2012
    6 month scan clean, NED
    Completed chemo end of March.
    July 5, scan shows pseudocyst between what is left of my stomach and pancreas.
    July 12, two stents put in to drain pseudocyst, pain on left side reduced.
    Dec. 6, results of last scan, 10 mm and 6mm mets to liver, 3 small mets to lungs.
    March 25, folfirinox is working but bad reaction to oxaliplatin. Giving it one more try.
    Switched to folfiri, minor reaction.
    5 rounds of Xeloda.
    Done with Xeloda, starting gem/abrax in 3 weeks.
    Started hospice Feb. 11

Experienced User
    My dad's Dr. originally thought he had a urinary tract infection and an unrelated rash. Not sure what symptoms made them think there was a UTI. Then when he got jaundice they sent him for a CT scan. That was the first day I knew it was serious. I googled jaundice and itching and the first hit told me pancreatic cancer. Not good.

Newbie Regular User
    Hi,
    My mom started with loss of weight, sleeplessnesss, pain in abdomen and ended with jaundice. When she went to the hospital for my dad, she ended having surgery to by-pass the tumor as we found out later on.
    She was diagnossed with pancreatic cancer stage 4 with met on liver and spreading towards stomach. Started chemo July 8.

Senior User
    Really bad Back Pain

Experienced User

symtoms

Jaundice was what drove my dad to the ER, but I think he was having other less specific and ignored symptoms for months, such as back pain, loss of appetite, general fatigue, etc...

Hi there,
    My mom started itching and then turned jaundice. Her blood sugar spiked to the mid-300's. She is not a diabetic ...never has had any problems with her blood sugar. We went the the ER within a week of these symptoms and they felt it was her gallbladder even though she never has had pain as a symptom (thank God). After an inclusive CT scan and MRI, she had the endoscopic ultrasound with biopsy. Her tumor was very small, but adenocarcinoma just the same. We were blessed she was diagnosed in a matter of days. I've read so many people who have suffered with symptoms for several months and their doctors still could not figure out what all of it was caused by. We were able to start treatment very soon there after. You are in my prayers...keep the faith and stay positive!! I'm sorry you are going through this.

My mom experienced a back ache on her LEFT side for a long time... she ignored it and dismissed it as nothing more than 'back ache'. She also experienced some heartburn and indigestion symtpoms, too... looking back on it now. Eventually the tumor caused her duodenum to be blocked... first signs of something being wrong was her inability to keep down any of the food she ate and a lot of bile build up coupled with significant weight loss over a period of a month. She was eventually diagnosed with stage 3 unresectable adenocarcinoma after a CT scan and endoscopic biopsy. I'm happy to say that she was dx just over a year ago today, and I thank my lucky stars every day that she is still here!