A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Suggestions as your loved one nears the end

Newbie New User

really helpful

thanks for posting this original post. really helpful. my mom is really tired of hospitals and being pricked and prodded and really just wants to be comfortable.

Newbie New User
    This is truly amazing! My mom is nearing her end and it is a horrific process to see someone who has always been so incredibly strong reduced to a shadow of herself. I hope that I will be able to muster as much grace as you and the other posters here. Just knowing that you have shared this experience with us is incredibly comforting and is certainly timely for me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart!
    Coral

Senior User
    At our last appointment my mom was offered hospice, even though she is in stage 2 inoperable, her body can not take anymore treatment. She is in a facility to help get her strength back, now I am lining up nurses to help me with mom while I work so I can bring her home to us......I have to admit, I am very scared of what is going to happen. I know everyone is on a ticking time clock, some louder than others. I am selfish and want to keep my mom as long as I can, so I pray God gives us more time. Mom is refusing hospice, but she is stronger now. I just feel lost at times and try not to think about it.
    Caregiver/my mom has pancreatic cancer stage 2 inoperable, Diagnosed January 2013(starting seeking help for pancreatitis April 2012)
    Did radiation/chemo pill, a tiny part in the center of the tumor still alive after treatment
    Tried chemo drip, after each round mom needed blood transfusion
    Mom is weak, doctor said she would not administer any more chemo
    September 2013 Mom is now stronger, no longer seeking treatment, coming home
    January2014 Mom living life
    July 28, 2014 Mom is at peace

Newbie New User
    Let's hope for a day that Cancer is just horoscope sign and nothing more!

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    An article that I came across on grieving and saying goodbye. I hope this will help someone a bit who is going through this.

http://www.caring.com/articles/how-t...m_medium=email
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Newbie New User
    Debbie, that article was absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for posting it. I am hoping against hope that my 63 year old husband with Stage IV PC will die peacefully in his sleep or have a massive heart attack. I cannot imagine watching him waste away.

Don is participating in a clinical trial that seems to be "working". Liver mets have shrunk some and his spirits are very high. None of the usual treatments worked, although he did not receive Folfirinox or Abraxane chemo. I understand these two drugs have awful side effects. Don did say, however, that if at the end of the clinical trial, he will start these two drugs and stop if the side effects get too unbearable. After 15 months with this disease, he has not missed a day of work, still plays golf and participates in his hobbies. When I married him 6 years ago, I didn't know he was such a warrior.

I am so sorry at the loss of your father.

PattyJo

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    PattyJo,

I'm glad to know that this article reached you....but by the sounds of it, you won't be needing this advice for a long time. He really is a warrior and I'm happy to hear that your husband is doing so well. That gives many people around here some hope for their fight!

Tell him to keep it up!

Debbie
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

I think we may want to consider that we members of the forum have become surrogate family members to each other during either our own or our loved ones' battle with PC. If we are the patient perhaps we can make sure that we have a spouse or family member or even a close friend on the board give us a heads up when we die. It's scary to worry when we don't hear from members after an absence and wonder if this is it. Just a thought that we have a way set up just as we do at home to notify important people in our lives the information on our passing. I belong to two boards I regularly post - here and a political one and with both boards have made some incredible friends along the way. I am tying to train my computer illiterate husband how to post, but have a good friend who will do it for me when the time comes and he needs help getting the information out. I guess I'm just saying we're here for each other through a good part of our journey's, let's not drop the ball at the finish line.
    Oct 2013 CT shows .7mm mass on tail of pancreas
    Mar 2014 CT shows 1.8mm
    Apr 2014 EUS FNA after 2nd opinion showed cancer
    May 16, 2014 Open distal/splenectomy Stage 2B adenocarcinoma 3.1cm w/ local spread, clean nodes
    June 13, 2014 Baseline CT showed mets to liver, staged upped to 4, Will begin chemo June 20th Gemzar and Abraxane. Given 6m to a year.
    July 25, 2014 Happy Birthday to me! My tumor markers went from 212 to 32!!!!
    August 20, 2014 Pulmonary Emboli in both lungs, CT scan shows G/A combo not worth the side effects. Decided to stop chemo for now.
    Oct. 2014 CA19-9 now at 525, liver is swelling and so is pain.
    Dec. 2014 Started Hospice
    April, 2015 declining
    Blog

Regular User
    Many prayers on the journey hospice can and does have many things like fentenal patches, morphine and things for anxiety... They may even have better and or more suggestions for pain, there is no reason to be in insurmountable pain.

Senior User
    Im sorry to sound bitter...but this is very raw for me
    I read many articles...videos...blogs...there was NOTHING....and I mean NOTHING that prepared me for the final hours of my moms life..Yes we had hospice...but....the uncontrollable pain she suffered.....knowing she was dying....she was fully awake, coherent...in a lot of pain...and talking to us until she passed on....it was the most heart wrenching experience I ever had to go thru....and it deeply saddens my heart that my mom had to die in such a painful manner. It will forever haunt me.
    Caregiver/my mom has pancreatic cancer stage 2 inoperable, Diagnosed January 2013(starting seeking help for pancreatitis April 2012)
    Did radiation/chemo pill, a tiny part in the center of the tumor still alive after treatment
    Tried chemo drip, after each round mom needed blood transfusion
    Mom is weak, doctor said she would not administer any more chemo
    September 2013 Mom is now stronger, no longer seeking treatment, coming home
    January2014 Mom living life
    July 28, 2014 Mom is at peace