A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Request for cancer survivors

Newbie New User

Request for cancer survivors

Hi All!

Please do not take this as "spam" or something like that - I am Gabriele, a journalist from Lithuania, and I am looking for people willing to share the stories of how they battled cancer for a book.

This book: "77 stories on surviving cancer" will feature human interest (stories from survivors) as well as medical points of view (interviews with oncologists, psychologists, and scientists). It will be compiled from stories written by journalists from Lithuania, Poland, USA, UK, Germany and India. The book is due to go to publishers in a few weeks, and it will be published in Lithuania (thus, it will be in Lithuanian, but I could translate the stories that I write), the circulation will be 3000 units.

The main aim of this projects is to tell stories of success in the realm of treating cancer and this way inspire people who have this illness and their relatives. Part of profits will go to cancer charities.

So please if You are a cancer survivor yourself, or know someone with an inspiring story - do let me know, I will be incredibly grateful, and You will get a chance to make somebody's dark days a little brighter.

Gabrielle,
    I'm a little puzzled as to how you can obtain individual stories,proof, collate and put 77 personal stories as a book right now as you say it is going to the publishers in "a few weeks".
    Remarkable authoring.
    Technically you are in breach of the rules as you clearly state it is a commercial venture with part of the profit going to cancer charities.
    I'll wait for input from our other moderators and Admins on this.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Newbie New User
    Dear Barry,
    I was not expecting such an angry response, sorry. As I mentioned, the 77 stories are written by a group of journalists from a few countries, thus it is obvious I do not need all of them - actually I am looking for 2-3 at most.

And again, I am sorry I did not know I couldn't look for people who would be willing to be interviewed - this is what journalists do, and you can find call outs for people all over internet forums - it is the best way to seek out good stories, and actually helps in making sure the media is not biased or skewed towards one point of view, which would be the point if journalists would choose their own subjects by themselves, all the time, don't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    Gabrielle,
    I'm a little puzzled as to how you can obtain individual stories,proof, collate and put 77 personal stories as a book right now as you say it is going to the publishers in "a few weeks".
    Remarkable authoring.
    Technically you are in breach of the rules as you clearly state it is a commercial venture with part of the profit going to cancer charities.
    I'll wait for input from our other moderators and Admins on this.
    Barry

Gabrielle ,
    My reply was not angry at all and was certainly not my intention.
    I doubt if anyone reading my reply could think it was angry in any way.
    It was to state the obvious.
    As you are posting on an English speaking forum and requesting input from our members, the responses you get would naturally be mainly in English. Why would you need to translate after publication in Lithuanian, back into English.
    Maybe I'm missing something and if so I apologise.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

If anyone is interested please PM gabriele-_lt.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Newbie New User
    Oh, sorry, maybe I misunderstood something about your intention. Well about the translation English - Lithuanian - English: I thought the potential interviewees would be interested how the final story (and not just the Q&A) looked like, I could translate it back to English, it's common practice with international projects worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    Gabrielle ,
    My reply was not angry at all and was certainly not my intention.
    I doubt if anyone reading my reply could think it was angry in any way.
    It was to state the obvious.
    As you are posting on an English speaking forum and requesting input from our members, the responses you get would naturally be mainly in English. Why would you need to translate after publication in Lithuanian, back into English.
    Maybe I'm missing something and if so I apologise.
    Barry

I'd think a faster way to get real, verified people would be to give your info to oncologists and ask them to pass it on. Anonymous posters can be anyone they want online. The ex journalist in me hates how lazy reporters troll online for self-selected and often fake interviewees. There's a real world, and it's ultimately a lot less work to just find people out there. Even approaching people walking out of cancer centers would turn up more reliable sources.

(Side note. My dentist said "so you're a cancer survivor" when I updated him on my status. Eight months after treatment, I told him he was being way premature.)

Oh, above reminds me. You probably want to make sure your survivors are five years cancer free. I think that's the generally accepted benchmark for cancer survival. Unless you also want people in long-term cancer treatment. That's a whole nother universe - chronic cancer sufferers living with it for years or even decades.
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

I clicked on this because of the subject and I'm 'surviving' but I agree with the above... interesting...
    www.CancerKickinGirl.com

Fall 2011 - SO SICK. Should have seen a Dr. for diagnosis!!
    Beg. of 2012 Age 26 - Almost DEAD & diagnosed Stage 4 Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer - Spread to Liver, Lymph nodes, Stomach, Cervix, Abdomen & Bowels... VERY SEVERE CASE of PC
    8/12 - Hospitalized for a week for spleen rupture
    2/13 Chemo stable/ cysts shrunk, no growth - I'll take that
    3/13 Hospitalized for hole in fistula in colon caused by cancer. Got stent and healing!