A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: 2 1/2 year old son diagnosed with ALL pre B cell Leukemia

2 1/2 year old son diagnosed with ALL pre B cell Leukemia

Hi everyone, I am very new to all of this. My son was diagnosed with ALL pre B cell leukemia on Sept. 5th 2012. His symptoms were bruising on his lower legs, and tiny red dots called petechiae and the day we brought him in he was very pale in color. My emotions are all over the place and I would really like to connect with someone who has dealt with this before with an infant. I understand it is rarer for an infant to go through this but I figured this would maybe be the best place for me to find someone. We are almost done with his induction phase or first round of chemo. He has had chemo almost every day in various forms. When we came into the hospital his white blood cell level was at 258,000 and they told me that he was very critical, there was a possibility of organ failure. Today is now Oct. 8th and his bone marrow is starting to recover and is starting to produce good white blood cells and he is starting to build his ANC. From what they tell me there are currently no leukemia cells in his blood anymore however we have not done another bone marrow aspiration yet.

thank you for reading I look forward to connecting with all of you..

Newbie New User
    My son was diagnosed on 30/8/2012. So we are currently going through a similar thing, although my son is 8 and able to tell me when he hurts or is sick. I see the parents of infants in the ward and my heart goes out to you as this is hard enough to deal with let alone trying to guess how your child is feeling. I am finding it very hard being away from the rest of the family as we live 5 hrs away from our treating facility. I wish you the best on your journey.

I never had leukemia but i know stem cell transplants are highly effective in treating it.

And generally younger kids do very very well in beating leukemia. As for older people it isnt the same.

Good luck to you and your family.
    -Nodular Sclerosis Hodgkin Lymphoma Stage 2 Bulky (2010)
    -ABVD x4
    -Radiation @ 1500GY
    -*Remission* (December 2011)
    -*Relapse* Nodular Sclerosis Hodgkin Lymphoma Stage 2 No bulky (June 2012)
    -ICE x2 (Failed 100%)
    -DHAP ( German Chemo) x2
    -PET= NED 100% Clear
    -Auto SCT with (Carmustine,Cisplatin,Etoposide)
    -Remission + waiting for some small amounts of follow up radiation.

Hi, my daughter was diagnosed in 2007 with ALL. She was just under 2 years of age. It's a long road but these kids are resilient!!

Im sorry I'm not sure why I wrote 2 1/2 year old he is 2 1/2 months when he was diagnosed he is now 4 1/2 months
    He went through his first round of chemo and we thought that he was doing amazing however when we did the bone marrow test it was not the results we were expecting. Now we are working on round two and he isnt doing as well with the meds this round it seems. He is on a high dose of methotrexate given over a 24 hour period and his body is releasing the drug slower then what it should. The first round he ended up getting a staph infection in his hickman and we needed to do emergency removal of it. This round his skin is very sensitive and he is breaking out in a rash it seems wherever he had electrode pads on him.

fnq_megs what type of ALL did she have and how old was she? How did she do with treatment?

Our son was diagnosed June 1, 2011 at the age of 4. Feel free to message me anytime. It is very overwhelming at first but talking to other parents is a great help!