A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer aka Papillary Carcinoma

Newbie New User

Diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer aka Papillary Carcinoma

I am 24 years old turning 25 in a few days. I am wondering if anyone has any possible suggestions as to what could cause this type of cancer Papillary Carcinoma. I am a pretty healthy person 135lbs, I eat right for the most part. Ive never had any major health problems and its not hereditary. One thing I keep wondering is if it was from my switch to bottled water instead of tap water. Ive been drinking bottled water for the last few years religiously. I have recently switched to drinking distilled water and using a stainless steel container for it, hoping that it makes a difference. My nodule has gone down in size but its too early to tell. The doctor wants to do surgery and have my whole thyroid removed. They still need to do an MRI and im sure the next thing will be "oh we need to remove your lmph nodes because its spread". I dont trust doctors at all they are a bunch of money grubs, as you can see. Also I want to wait and see if it will go down in size with me now drinking distilled water and not using plastics, I dont want to rush into surgery as the doctors would like me to do. Anyways if anyone has any insight into this please respond.
    Thanks,
    Dominic

how are you doing now?

Newbie New User
    I'm alive....

djc, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's not uncommon for people in your situation to be angry and want to vent--this is certainly a place to do it.

That said, I don't think anyone could say for certain based on the limited information you've provided, what exactly caused your cancer. I can almost assure you though that if bottled water caused thyroid cancer, we'd likely be seeing a much greater incidence than we are. You can look to environmental factors, but hereditary factors could've also played a role. Sometimes, our bodies are just predetermined to make cancerous cells.

As for you and your doctors, I'm sorry that you don't perceive them to be good people--"money grubbers," I believe you called them. With a disease like cancer, I think it's vitally important that you trust your primary oncologist and their medical team. I don't believe that they'll do any more or less than what's absolutely necessary to treat your cancer, so to your comment about "removing lymph nodes," no doctor would agree to that if they didn't suspect or have evidence of metastases. They're not going to invent problems in order to charge you more money.

There is some good news to this diagnosis. Thyroid cancer is very curable. It's likely not overly aggressive, so I would discuss with your oncologist, all of your options. Ensure you understand what their plans are for treating you. Question why they're taking the approach they're taking. Get a second opinion from another doctor, and discuss with your family, friends or significant other.

As my oncologist said, you always have an option to "do nothing" when I was diagnosed with a form of head & neck cancer. He didn't recommend it of course, and said that in another six months the cancer may have likely spread and my tumor might've been the size of a baseball. Very ugly. My advice to you is that if it's cancer, accept it, and have it treated. You're young, in good shape, and have a whole life to enjoy. Get to it.

Please be aware the original post here is from 2012 and now has continued on

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...784#post303784

Closing this now to avoid confusion as 4 years have passed.
    Aussie, age 59
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo or hap transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable. All I needed to hear. I am pumped and ready. BRING IT ON