A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: taking glutamine for neuopathy

Newbie New User

taking glutamine for neuopathy

I have breast cancer of the left breast with mastectomy, ILC, stage 3a, 6 of 9 nodes involved ,hormone positive, HER2neg. I am done with the 4 rounds of
    DD AC and now looking forward to my 12th and final blast of Taxol next Tuesday. I get a month off and then on to 35 days of radiation.

Would like to compare notes about taking glutamine for the numbness/ tingling in the fingers and toes. I was told to take 30 grams total a day and have been doing that until about a week ago. I began having some pretty gnarly things happen which made my life very difficult as far as trying to function. I quit the glutamine about a week ago and things are very much improving. Won't go into the details unless I hear from others about this.

thanks---PAM

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Glutamine is fairly well tolerated in healthy individuals provide the recommended dose is not exceeded. Common side effects are bloating and constipation. If you have any liver damage then it can cause issues and I would be very reticent to use it when having chemo. I assume you asked your treating doctors about taking it during treatment, if you didn't then that is a big mistake. I am glad your issues have gotten better isnce you stopped.

All the best with the rest of your treatment, its nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Good luck
    Age 60
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

With the Cman on this. If I were well I wouldn't give too much of it too much thought, but don't mess with your cancer. It can morph like the blob if you feed it the wrong something. Jody
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Prettybird
    There has been some observations by practitioners that suggest glutamine could feed tumor growth. However, this study found that the glutamine didn't make the tumors grow on mice.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...2248049090066B

I've never heard of glutamine being used for neuropathy. However, as one of the amino acids found in glutathione, perhaps there is some logic in trying it. However, another way to increase glutathione is by getting your methylation cycle working. A prescription vitamin supplement called Metanx will help do that. (The ingredients in Metanx are available over-the-counter.) Metanx is used for diabetic neuropathy. Be sides increasing glutathione production, these special forms of vitamins help improve blood flow and repair nerves.

Another substance used for diabetic neuropathy is benfotiamine. Benfotiamine is an active fat soluble form of vitamin B1. (If you are diabetic or have cancer, you probably need this form rather than ordinary vitamin B1.) The neurological side effects of Xeloda (5-FU) are thought to be due to its interference with vitamin B1. However, doctors are hesitant to prescribe vitamin B1/benfotiamine because vitamin B1 is one of the nutrients required for tumor growth. If you are on Xeloda, you might want to ask your oncologist if it is okay to take benfotiamine during your recovery week, when you are not taking the Xeloda.