A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Memory of My Dad

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Wishing my dad a happy birthday in heaven. Wishing you were here with us, but I will keep you in my heart until we meet again. I love you with all my heart and not a day goes by without missing you. Happy Birthday, my dear sweet Dad! ♥
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Super Moderator Top User Hope2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieC View Post
    Wishing my dad a happy birthday in heaven. Wishing you were here with us, but I will keep you in my heart until we meet again. I love you with all my heart and not a day goes by without missing you. Happy Birthday, my dear sweet Dad! ♥
    Wish there was a "like" button here!
    This dark night shall end and the sun will rise again...
    Believe

- Dad diagnosed in 1992 with primary bladder cancer
    - bladder removed and new one made from resected intestine
    - chemotherapy regimen started
    - mets to large intestines discovered in 1993...more chemo...tumors disappearing
    - complained of neck pain Dec 1994. Mets to brainstem confirmed
    - passed away Feb 24, 1995

On my dad's birthday last year I bought a balloon and tied it around the beautiful wood box that his ashes are in. I think my mom thought I was nuts. My dad was probably looking down telling all his friends & family that I tied it wrong! Debbie, I know he was looking down & smiling and being SO proud of you for your continued help to everyone here and just for being the beautiful person that you are!

Laura
    Dad diagnosed with Stage IV PC with mets to liver March 4, 2011 ~ Died 11 months later, February 4, 2012.

Newbie New User
    Aloha, just came upon your Beautiful Photos and memorries, thank you for sharing your Beautiful family, your father must be proud to have had you as a daughter, I also served on the USS Midway CVA-41 during the years 1957-1959, in 2006 I found out I had lymphoma B cell, went through chemo, I dont know what years your father served on the Midway? it was a great ship to have served on, God Bless and stay strong, eddie

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for sharing that...I get a kick out of hearing others being on that ship. Don't know why, just makes me smile! He would have been on around 1961-63. I might have the dates a little off, but it would have been around those years. I hope he was proud...I am so proud of him, and I miss him so, so much.

I hope that you are doing well now after treatment, and continue to do so! Thank you for sharing!

Debbie
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

Today was 6 months since we lost my dad. 6 months. Half a year...already. Funny how on one hand it feels like he's been gone so long, and on the other hand, it may as well of happened yesterday.

Today, we also celebrated my grandfather's (my dad's dad) 91st birthday. I sat there watching him open his gifts with his family around him and just couldn't fight the feeling that I will never get to see that....my dad as an old man surrounded by his children, his grand-children, and even some great-grand-children. Cancer is so unfair. It takes people too early and leaves behind so many broken hearts.

My heart, with whatever healing may have occurred in the last 6 months, felt re-broken today. My mother and I visited his grave today, with a new wreath of beautiful spring flowers to hang on his headstone and left with a huge hole in both of our hearts...mourning for the man that meant so much to both of us.

Dad....miss you more than I can ever say....

Your Precious Dad

Deb,
    I know I've told you this before, but you dad is so stinking precious. I want to kiss his cheeks and give him a big hug. I will, one day, when I see him in Heaven.
    Love and Hugs to you, Deb. Your dad would be so proud of your advice, compassion ,and strength for those who are battling and those whose loved ones are battling.

Awwww Deb, I know how hard those days are, it's reopening that wound again and again (not that the scab ever seems to heal). You're so right, some days it's seems so long ago, other days it's as if it just happened. Thinking of you & your hero, and knowing just how much he is missed by everyone. We had some pretty special Dads. I know how proud he is of you that you've continued to be such a huge support and help to others here even after your own loss.

L.
    Dad diagnosed with Stage IV PC with mets to liver March 4, 2011 ~ Died 11 months later, February 4, 2012.

Debbie...I know the feeling of wishing for things you know you won't get to see. You were so staunchly faithful and loving with your dad through his illness and now in his memory...what a legacy he left behind in you. Hugs!
    Mom (65) diagnosed with locally advanced adenocarcinoma on May 2012
    First line of 5-fu and radiation for 5 weeks allowed cancer to get slightly worse.
    July 2012 Gemzar and Tarceva started.
    October hospitalized due to ketoacidosis and dehydration
    November scan showed pancreas tumor reduced by 47% and tumor markers coming down.
    March 2013 ct showed cancer stable, but mom repeatedly hospitalized for infections, low sodium, weakness and malnutrition.
    Mom lost her fight on March 18, 2013

Thank you all for your words!

Prouddaughter...yes, you have told me that before! It is so funny because one of the things that I miss most, just the simplest things, is kissing his cheek or feeling his scruff rub up against my cheek when I hugged him. And he was truly precious!

Laura...thanks for always being there! We did have amazing dads! I hope you found a picture of your hero for the frame!

Soshayna...he was a great person and he made it easy to love him! Hugs to you too....I hope that you're feeling ok. I know you suffered a huge loss, too!