A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In Memory of My Dad

Senior User
    Thinking of you, Bill, today on this, the anniversary of your passing. You would be so proud of your daughter, Debbie, for how she has held on. She is a source of strength and inspiration to so many of us here, and I think it must be due in part to what a wonderful father you were to her. While I didn't have the pleasure of knowing you, I am sure that your family is holding you close today with so many happy memories. Blessings to them all.
    --Melanie
    Oct 16, 2012 - Husband, 65, diagnosed with Stage 4 PC, 2.5 cm growth in tail of pancreas and 3 small mets, one on liver, two in abdominal wall
    Oct 28, 2012 - Began Folfirinox
    Nov 26, 2012 - Third and final Folfirinox, husband lost 70 lbs in 4 months, 35 since beginning treatment
    Jan 2, 2013 - Scan reveals progression of disease, however husband has regained 20 lbs since December. Folfirinox ended. No chemo while husband is feeling well.
    March 18, 2013 - Recheck, but no new scan. Regained total of 35 lbs, to 197, husband is asymptomatic and feeling very good.
    April 24, 2013 - CT scan reveals more mets in the liver, ascites present, 4.5 liters removed, weight back down 27 lbs to 170 (in 5 weeks).
    April 29, 2013 - Began new chemo regimen of Gemzar and Abraxene.
    May 29, 2013 - Determined that cannot continue chemo. Weight down 29 more pounds to 141 (in 5 more weeks). Feeling forlorn.
    May 30, 2013 - Began home hospice, 7 1/2 months after diagnosis.
    August 6, 2013 - Weight down to 120. One year ago he weighed 245 lbs.
    August 14, 2013 - He passed from his suffering with me by his side, loving him to the very end. Pour toujours, my love.

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    One year. Wow. One year since I've heard my dad's voice, since I've held his hand, gotten one of his great big hugs, or felt his scruff when I kissed his cheek.

We had a celebration of his life tonight. My aunts and uncles came over to my mom's and from there we went the cemetery...sambuca in hand, which was my dad's favorite drink....and each did a shot, or two, "with" my dad. There were tears but there was also a lot of laughter.

I guess you could say that's healing in motion, but oh, there were parts of my heart that were still split wide open. I imagine these holes will never close up completely, not until I see him again. What a wonderful dad...I just can't even find the words to say how amazing, funny, kind and loving he was. Simply the best.

Love you Dad...I hope you know how very much alive you are still in my heart. ♥
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Quote Originally Posted by New Journey View Post
    Thinking of you, Bill, today on this, the anniversary of your passing. You would be so proud of your daughter, Debbie, for how she has held on. She is a source of strength and inspiration to so many of us here, and I think it must be due in part to what a wonderful father you were to her. While I didn't have the pleasure of knowing you, I am sure that your family is holding you close today with so many happy memories. Blessings to them all.
    --Melanie
    Thank you so much for the beautiful post, Melanie. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

Lots of love to you and your family, Deb and thank you for choosing to stay here to selflessly help others.
    Aussie, age 59
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo or hap transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable. All I needed to hear. I am pumped and ready. BRING IT ON

Deb,
    Was thinking of you yesterday (as you know...), you have continued this whole year to help others and your dad would be so proud of you. In this whole horrible journey I am glad that there were some positives...like having friends like you. Having someone who truly understands the ups and downs of the journey and the grieving process has been a true blessing. Be sure to take time for you, and if you need to talk...

Laura
    Dad diagnosed with Stage IV PC with mets to liver March 4, 2011 ~ Died 11 months later, February 4, 2012.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    What a beautiful tribute to your Dad! Yes, he is alive in your heart and always will be. Thank you for sharing this with us and thank you for helping so many on this forum

Lisa

Senior User
    Great Tribute and I love the pictures nice to see what everyone looks like. god bless you and your mom. xo Cathy
    October 2012 dx stage 4 pancreatic cancer mets to Liver
    November 2012 failed Whipple
    December 2013 Mom is septic put on a respirator no chemo fighting for her life _happy new year in hospital she Also is dx with c diff turns around with heavy duty antibiotics from January till March
    March-september 2013 DECIDE to start. Chemo CA 9-19 # 14500 dr decides to add abraxine to gemzar had everyside effect also stent change 4 times in and out of hospital many infection
    October 2013 Ct scans shows liver leisions gone put no change to pancrease change chemo to xeloda
    January 2014 tumor markers up
    January 24 cancer spread lungs , spine, abdomin, stomach liver and pc tomorrow all lit up on petscan so back on gemzar and abraxine.
    May 2014 no change everything stays the same after 18 rounds of chemo chemo brake
    August 2014 on chemo brake scans shows all tumors got bigger mom wants to continue chemo meeting with drs on the 28th Dr said if mom not strong enough no chemo.
    Xo Cathy

Thinking of my dad today, on what would have been his 70th birthday. I have a very heavy heart because I wish so much that he was here to celebrate with all of us.

Happy birthday, Dad. Love and miss you so much! ♥♥♥

Super Moderator Top User
    He hears you Deb....I'm sure of it.

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Ah Deb, I wish he was still with you to celebrate what would have been his 70th birthday. But like Irish said, he hears you.

Hugs of comfort to you today.

Lisa