A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My FOLFOX Diary

David,
    Jeeps not the dreaded Picolax, that's just not fair. Sounds a good idea to leave it till AM, but after taking that you sure won't be having a daily walk, more like a trot or canter to the loo.
    Please to hear your in motion .LOL
    Sorry one shouldn't laugh, but it brings back memories.
    Keep going friend ohh I had a Jack D and lemonade for you as you missed your nightcap.
    Anytime you need to miss it, just yell and ill have it on your behalf.
    Take care
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+4.
    Active surveillance ceased and intervention recommended.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 07/09 to be done.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Moderator Senior User
    Mine is called Laxido, but it is mix with water stuff.

Haven't taken any yet, and passed a good motion this morning, though it took a while.

On the TMI front these last two motions have been the first with the sort of consistency and girth that I used enjoy before the problems started.

Other things - definitely finding food tasting blander, though none of the metallic flavour I've heard of.

And felt a little sick this morning, but haven't vomited. Took a couple of the optional nausea pills, as well as the last but one dose of the others.

Mild tingling of fingers, but hardly worth mentioning.

David

Moderator Senior User
    I was hoping to feel much better today, but actually don't really, except on the finger tingling front.

Slept much better last night, but also had further nap this morning and feel like another now.

Appetite lower, and food tasting blander. Just taken some more optional nausea tablets, not that I've been sick, but have been feeling a bit sick.

Wanted to get on exploring my new camera out of auto mode, but somehow not motivated to read the manual or do any experiments.

Just feeling a little out of sorts, with not much joi de vivre.

David

David,
    You sound to be holding up well all considering, but sorry your not feeling too grand, nausea just makes one tired and the old neuron activity reduces to tick over mode so no wonder your new camera isn't getting your attention.
    Ohh maybe you'll enjoy this, son and heir has just been on the phone from Dubai.
    He's a captain with Emirates on the A 380, last night had to do a sim check, was oing through the pre flight check list and got failed on 1 of the item list.
    Gues what it was, the sim training captain who was I believe Indian, said I'm sorry ou have failed, Simon ober the mic said why.
    The guy said you didn't check the port side window was closed.
    Si replied I did but that was earlier, response, I need to see you check it's closed, Simon, don't you think it'll be bloody noisy and draughty on taxi and take off.
    Ah says the guy, I can't pass you, you'll need to do another sim check tomorrow night.
    I wont type in Si expletives, but it is similar to an anal evacuation.
    Best wishes
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2.

Motto

Moderator Senior User
    I've just had another hour asleep. Maybe I've just got over-tired with wakeful nights, and had more to catch up on than I thought. That might be part of it, anyway - I should have caught up by now.

But before that forced myself to play with the camera a bit, got some nice results, and felt better for having done something.

Chemo is indeed as much a mental fight as a physical one.

Quite pleased with this, hand-held on pretty big zoom, cropped a bit, but otherwise not manipulated.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/p.../trimagain.jpg

David

Moderator Senior User
    More of the same today - lots more naps, less appetite and have eaten less in consequence. Should eat now, can't think what. Had sausage mash and beans all planned, but don't fancy it at all now.

The best part of the day was early - one of my mates took me for a trip to a local beauty spot to do some wildlife photography with new gear. Took some reasonable shots. But since then have been sleeping on and off between watching sport and keeping up with the internets.

Must eat something, even if I don't really feel like it.

Cheese and tomato toastie calls.

David

David,
    Mmm love a cheese and tomato toastie. I use halloumi cheese when I can get it.
    Nice photo of the Bluetit, good steady hands if you were using a telephoto lens.
    Went for a walk along the Solent from Warsash towards Swanwick and back all in all about 9 miles,there are 2 estuary wildlife sanctuaries along this walk.
    The 1st by Warsash there were hundreds of Mallards, several white egrets and a blooming large grey crane.
    Please even if you don't feel like it, try and eat regularly and drink (none alcoholic please) fluids as much as you can take.
    Maybe talk to your doc about supplemental food drinks, I got prescribed Fresubin 2 kc drinks, the are rather yummy, come in several favours, Cappucino, Fruits of the Forest, Vanilla, etc. My favourite was undoubtedly Cappucino. Gives you a meal in a plastic bottle and has all the nutrition you need.
    Keep napping and us updated.
    Best wishes
    Narry
    Last edited by Baz10; 11-18-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Darn IPad and index finger again, Narrynshould read Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto

Moderator Senior User
    Not feeling at all like alcohol at the moment. Drinking mainly juice and coffee. The District Nurse coming for blood tomorrow morning - will talk about drinks then,

I'd like to get a solid night sleep tonight, but fear that the odd hour I've spent dozing may keep me awake again. At least I can keep in touch with the cricket after about 4 if too wakeful.

Just one picture I quite liked today

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/p...bosherston.jpg

David

Moderator Senior User
    Well it's a week now, so I've been thinking what, if anything, I've learned. Looked back to dennper's thread to compare, and actually there are similarities and differences. I suppose everyone is different.

The days I've felt worst have been days 6 and 7. Out of sorts, and feeling a bit nauseous, and no joy to life. Much better today - day 8.

Like Dennper, the tingling and other sensitivity to cold died off after a couple of days, but I was very wakeful in the nights for the first few days, which led to more fatigue later. Perhaps that was anti nausea medication, as the nurse warned me that one of the meds might have that effect.

Bowels have pretty much settled down to regularity again, though still gassy. I avoided medication to get them moving again, but will have to look at what happens next time on its merits.

Hope to have a few good days now, before my next treatment, but if I have learnt anything so far it is that one has to expect the unexpected.

All in all, for people following, so far it has not been a bundle of fun, but compared with some of the sorts of chemo regimes I read about in forums about other cancers there are a lot worse. So far there is nothing that I have experienced that has been close to unbearable, for all that there have been days, and periods within days, that have been a bit unpleasant. There have certainly been times when I have been enjoying life over the last week. The odd time when I have pushed myself to get on with things, and have felt that I've benefited from having done so. Sometimes, though, just lying down and drifting off to sleep has seemed a better option.

The bottom line, though, is that there has been nothing to greatly fear, so far.

My appetite is not too bad, though tastes still seem bland, and I expect that to continue, as, I gather, by the nature of the treatment it hits taste buds.

Can't think of anything else that needs saying, so I'll stop.

Moderator Senior User
    Felt generally even better today, though got tired and had nap late afternoon.

Ate well, and think sense of taste coming back a bit at this stage of the cycle, though time will tell on that.

Having a slow beer tonight. Will maybe have one more.

David