A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Debís Rectal Cancer Story and Chemo Log

Debís Rectal Cancer Story and Chemo Log

Inspired by Dennis and David, thought it might be helpful to others to add a chemo diary from a female perspective.

History: I was diagnosed with rectal cancer on May 4, 2012 at 49 years old after several months of increasing blood in stool and change in bowel habits and abdominal bloating. I was in no pain, didnít want to admit there was a problem and ignorantly hoped the symptoms would resolve themselves. I have always been healthy, rarely visited the doctor, never had a surgery, never been in the hospital except to birth two children, and my most disabling illness to date was a bout of pneumonia and pleurisy five years ago. Finally, after a co-worker shared with me her fatherís recent death from colon cancer, I decided to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. He was not overly concerned with the symptoms but suggested a colonoscopy was in order so we scheduled it for four weeks later. When I came out of the anesthesia, he was saying the ďCď word to my poor shocked husband. I was not completely surprised and had warned my husband that I didnít know what, but the doctor would find something wrong. Over the next couple weeks came rounds of scans and blood tests and more poking around than I remember having my whole life and then a followup with the gastroenterologist. I had a rectal adenocarcinoma measuring 2cm x1.5cm within 2cm of the anal verge. I cried when he said because of the low location of the tumor, I would almost certainly need a permanent colostomy--and that was the first time I cried. He sent me to the oncologist and after discussions, more scans and exams with oncologist, radiation therapist and surgeon (who gave me hope that he could put me back together), the plan was to start with Xeloda pills and radiation for 5-1/2 weeks to hopefully shrink the tumor, then 4-6 weeks of rest, then lower anterior resection and temporary ileostomy, then 4-6 weeks of rest, then 12 rounds of FOLFOX, then 2 weeks rest, then ileostomy reversal. The early chemo/rad to the pelvic area was tolerable and my blood counts remained mostly in the normal range, no hair loss except ďdown belowĒ, but all beverages tasted awful and by the fifth week I was in the bathroom constantly and in tremendous pain during both urinary and bowel output. I would liken it to birthing a barbwire covered bowling ball from my anus and peeing flames. I was quite miserable and almost ready for that ileostomy! Finally, 2 weeks after treatment finished, things settled down and I felt completely normal during the entire month of August except thatís when the hot flashes began--ugh (pelvic radiation can cause early menopause). My surgery took place on September 5, 2012, just after my 50th birthday, and I was in the hospital for 5 days. I was provided with terrific pain medication and didnít mind the ileostomy as much as I thought I would (okay, maybe Iím exaggerating a little!). I was able to use the bathroom and walk and eat the next day (against my doctorís advice who wanted to leave in the catheter and force me to continue a liquid diet). However, progress slowed down and it took me a full 6 weeks to fully recover from the surgery. The pathology report of my 20cm of removed colon showed clean margins, evidence of prior treatment effect, 1 of 6 lymph nodes affected: Stage 3, T2, N1, M0. On October 8, I had the port-a-cath placed in my left upper chest and started FOLFOX6 on October 16. The first two reports are general and based on memory. Will be current with CHEMO #3 onwards.

CHEMO #1 (Oct. 16) Ė Day 1 not so bad. Comfortable in the chair and no pain in hooking up meds to port. Couldnít believe the amounts of pre- and post-medications. Took over 5 hours. Kind of loopy when I walked out of there and seriously wondered whether I could drive.
    Day 2 Ė Not bad. Difficult to shower with the chemo bag (2 bags really counting the ileo!) Chose to sleep on reclining couch for the days I have the pump instead of bed which is where I spent a lot of post-surgery nights.
    Day 3 Ė Pretty tired. Couldnít wait to disconnect. Went home and slept a couple hours. Went to bed early.
    Days 4-6 Ė Exhausted but couldnít sleep well. Felt like I had the flu but didnít. Lucky to get 4-6 hours without waking but that is not a new development since the hot flashes began.
    Day 8 Ė Follow-up doctor visit. Reported exhaustion, popped a few anti-nausea pills at random intervals, throat hurt swallowing cold beverages, bad taste of beverages, no neuropathy. Severe mood swingsóasked for anti-depressant and got it. Doctor decided to add hydration next round on disconnect and again at follow-up appointment.
    Days 9-12 Ė Severe headaches for 3-1/2 days, heartburn followed by vomiting on Day 11 (no more spicy food!)
    Days 13-14 Ė Finally feel better. Lost a couple pounds so now down about 15 pounds since the beginning of all this. Luckily I could afford to lose a few!

CHEMO #2 (Oct. 30) Ė Days 1-3 same as before but with immediate cold touch sensation on Day 1 (canít touch items in fridge without oven mitts), less mouth cold sensation but increased jaw pain due to constant jaw clenching as if Iíd had a lot of caffeine, occasional tingling in fingertips and toes, manageable infrequent headaches. Hydrated through port on Day 3.
    Days 3-6 Ė Pretty darn tired. Slept when I could. No nausea but drank a lot of diet ginger ale! Weird that I crave carbonated beverages and sweets when I rarely drank or ate them before. Woke up at midnight on Day 5 and worked from home for a few hours, then back to sleep.
    Day 7 Ė Follow-up doctor visit. Slightly low on white blood cells=1.3 (normal range is 1.5-6.5). Whole blood count (WBC)=2.3 (normal is 4.8-10.8). Didnít feel like I had a cold but a little sniffley. Mentioned some blood when blowing noseónot uncommon apparently. Hydrated again. Think it helped even though I had been able to drink more fluids.
    Days 8-14 Ė Feel mostly pretty good. Able to work from home. Daily anti-depressant seems to help regulate the moods. Day 14 afternoon abdominal pain and noticed stoma had stopped producing about 1 pm. Based on my past viewing of other blogs suggesting a couple tablespoons of olive oil but not having any, I drank a dose of grapeseed oil at about 5 pm. Actually didnít taste as bad as I expected. Then I checked the stoma and wiped off some solids that were packed around itóuck! Around 6:30 pm it was back to working again. Whew! Dodged a bullet and didnít really know who to call. I guess it would be the ostomy nurse from the hospital. Lost a couple pounds but the hydration helped put some back on.

CHEMO #3 (Nov. 13) Ė Day 1 - No chemo due to Neutropenia. White blood cell=0.3; WBC=1.2. What happened? I donít feel bad at all. Gave me a shot in the arm to boost the blood cells over next 24 hoursÖouch! Sent home in chemo shame and told to avoid sickies, red meat and salads and return the next day. I asked the nurse what happens if the # is 0 and she said we put you in a ďbubbleĒ. Donít know if she was jokingÖ
    Day 2 Ė Back to try chemo again. No can do. White blood cell=0.7; WBC=1.9. Sent home for 2 week break from meds. Mixed emotions. Happy to feel good for 2 weeks and have a great Thanksgiving. Sorry to delay end of treatment by 2 weeks. Mostly happy. Went to bed at 10 pm
    Day 3 - Woke up around 3 am. Wrote this blog sometime between 4:30 and 7:00 am after working a couple hours from home. Boy have my sleeping habits changed!

Öto be continued!
    Deb f53
    Diag at 49 RCa 5-4-12
    28 rounds Xeloda+radiation 5-12 to 7-12
    Lovely month of normalcy in August
    LAR + temp ileo 9-5-12
    Stage IIIa T2, N1
    FOLFOX 10-16-12 x 12 rounds for 6 months
    Round 12 completed 4-4-13--YAY!
    NED 4-12-13 CT Scan
    Ileo reversal 4-19-13; contracted c-diff--went into toxic shock; 2nd surgery 4-22-13;
    Hospital release 4-30-13
    7-13 to 9-13 Joined LIVESTRONG program at YMCA
    NED 8-13 Breast and cervical biopsies (due to abnormalities)
    NED 9-20-13 Colonoscopy
    American Cancer Society 9-21-13 Relay for Life Event
    NED 4-10-14 CT scan
    NED 1-13-15 CT scan
    NED Dec 2015 Colonoscopy
    NED Feb 2016 CT scan

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    Deb-Hi welcome- I think thats a gfreat idea from the female point of view. thanks for sharing this. Im glad your ileostomy isnt giving you problems through all the chemo- mom has a really hard time with that every time her darn bag pops off/ leaks. through treatments.
    I think with the white blood count low you wouldnt feel much you just wouldnt be able to shake a cold or fight any infections l.(which is why they advise staying away from ill people-kids that go to school are bad to be around too. and of course shopping malls restaurants etc- you may get flu like symptoms from the injection too(Im sure they mentioned that).I hope your treatments go well and keep us updated.
    very well. When your red count is low thats when they will give you a transfusion to boost it because then you will be really tired(make that exhausted).
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Moderator Senior User
    All the best Deb.

Get well and stay well.

I've been told that it is pretty rare to go right through the planned FOLFOX regime as planned - something usually gets in the way like cell counts or side effects.

David

CHEMO#3 (Nov 27) My blood counts were back up so on with chemo. Dr reduced oxiplatin slightly. Also got a flu shot today. Was in the chair from 9 till 2 and hooked up to the dreaded take home bag. Started getting the cold touch and taste towards the end of treatment. Tingling in fingers and toes more pronounced day 1 and 2. Probably doesn't help that outside temperature is colder. Kept falling asleep in chair and when I got home-had to restart a TV show 4X to see it all! In past treatments fatigue didn't hit me until day 3. Took a Lorazapam not for nausea but to help me sleep through the night. Worked well until 4 am and here I am!

I have to tell you it felt so great to be off meds for the holidays. I went shopping with my daughter for a senior pix and prom dress (wore a mask as a precaution), helped make Thanksgiving dinner, enjoyed visits from friends and relatives, and many soaks in the hot tub. It was wonderful.

Finally, I get such inspiration and advice from the posts on this site as well as those on The Colon Club and UOAA discussion boards. Thank you all!

Deb
    Last edited by Deb in Texas; 12-01-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot to mention flu shot
    Deb f53
    Diag at 49 RCa 5-4-12
    LAR + temp ileo 9-5-12
    Stage IIIa T2, N1
    NED 4-12-13 CT Scan
    Ileo reversal 4-19-13; contracted c-diff--went into toxic shock; 2nd surgery 4-22-13;
    Hospital release 4-30-13
    NED 9-20-13 Colonoscopy
    NED 4-10-14 CT scan
    NED 1-13-15 CT scan
    NED Dec 2015 Colonoscopy
    NED Feb 2016 CT scan

Deb- glad you enjoyed the holiday. thanks for the update I hope you continue to do well.oh and yes that utside temp drives mom crazy- she cant even stand shopping in the grocery stores near the dairy produce/meats I told her to wear lightweight gloves but ah she wont.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Chemo #3 (cont'd) Day 3 (Nov 29) Well, the fatigue crash started almost immediately after my disconnect. I was given hydration and a shot to boost my cell count over the next 2 weeks. Went home, ate some chicken soup and slept for an hour and a half. Pretty weary and sluggish all afternoon. Neuropathy improved but still difficult to find beverages that appealed. Hot chocolate, hot tea, milk. Wished for a lukewarm V-8. Kept waking briefly about every hour last night. Better this morning.
    Deb f53
    Diag at 49 RCa 5-4-12
    LAR + temp ileo 9-5-12
    Stage IIIa T2, N1
    NED 4-12-13 CT Scan
    Hospital release 4-30-13
    NED 9-20-13 Colonoscopy
    NED 4-10-14 CT scan
    NED 1-13-15 CT scan
    NED Dec 2015 Colonoscopy
    NED Feb 2016 CT scan

Deb hope your feeling better tomorrow and that you have a chance to catch up on some sleep. thanks for the update
    MOMS Journey
    oxyplatin,5fu
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion

Felt surprisingly really great yesterday morning (day 4) from 4 am to noon, and worked from home, then crashed. Tired, miserable. A few naps between 5 and 8 pm then bed at 9 with Lorazepam to help sleep. Cold touch and taste starting to dwindle away. Up at 3 am. Not feeling so bad now. Really hard to predict when I will be feeling good or bad. Always have to take it one day or hour at a time.
    Deb f53
    Diag at 49 RCa 5-4-12
    LAR + temp ileo 9-5-12
    Stage IIIa T2, N1
    NED 4-12-13 CT Scan
    Hospital release 4-30-13
    NED 9-20-13 Colonoscopy
    NED 4-10-14 CT scan
    NED 1-13-15 CT scan
    NED Dec 2015 Colonoscopy
    NED Feb 2016 CT scan

Felt okay Day 5. Did some laundry and laid around a bit then wen shopping for an hour in the afternoon. After that had a sudden craving for Mexican food and marguarita! My husband and I went out for an hour and boy did it taste good and wiped the bad taste out of my mouth for awhile. I didn't care if I regretted it later! Crashed from 7 - 10 pm then restless sleep until 2 am and here I am. Noticed my tongue was black. Thanks to Dennis's blog, I figure I might have a mouth fungus. Ugh! What next? Drinking some chai tea.
    Deb f53
    Diag at 49 RCa 5-4-12
    LAR + temp ileo 9-5-12
    Stage IIIa T2, N1
    NED 4-12-13 CT Scan
    Hospital release 4-30-13
    NED 9-20-13 Colonoscopy
    NED 4-10-14 CT scan
    NED 1-13-15 CT scan
    NED Dec 2015 Colonoscopy
    NED Feb 2016 CT scan

Deb-amazing you were able to eat that-did it taste normal? the alcohol probably didnt help if you have a mouth fungus guess youll have to get that special mouth wash from your doctor that kiss the bacteria.
    besides the normal expected side effects sounds like your doing pretty good.
    MOMS Journey
    oxyplatin,5fu
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion