A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PanCan Clinical Trials

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Copied and pasted from Marykins....

Please consider CLINCIAL TRIALS
    It has been awhile since I have been back to this forum, hope all is going well for everyone.

I just read on the pancan.org site that just 4.57% of pancreatic cancer patients enter into clinical trials. Although this % is greater than other cancers - the need for higher participation is much greater for pancreatic cancer. I encourage every one diagnosed to seek out a trial!!! Most clinical trials require that chemo has NOT yet been started to be considered for participation in the trial - so, there is an importance of finding one soon as possible after being diagnosed. I know there is such a shock when you first hear the news but if a cure is to be found for this deadly aggressive demon these trials are the path to that cure.

From my own experience - my husband was given 4 to 8 months. We found a trial 3 days before he was schedule to begin his chemo treatment. Three different trials and 13 MONTHS later he passed. I feel in my heart that he, and I, were only given these extra months because of the trials. My husband would always tell anyone that would listen, "this may not help me with a cure but it might just uncover a cure or better life for my family and friends." PLEASE follow my courageous and loving husband's lead and ask, seek, and find a clinical trial! The government approved trials can be found on this link - http://clinicaltrials.gov/
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Carboplatin + Paclitaxel with/without reovirus Phase 2 human testing

Interesting new clinical trial....
    This phase II clinical trial is studying how well giving carboplatin and paclitaxel with or without viral therapy work in treating patients with recurrent or metastatic pancreatic cancer. Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as carboplatin and paclitaxel, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Viral therapy may be able to kill tumor cells without damaging normal cells. It is not yet known whether carboplatin and paclitaxel are more effective with viral therapy in treating pancreatic cancer.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01280058?
    Last edited by BobInBonita; 02-03-2015 at 05:03 PM.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

I did a little research and found some info that I hope will help. It is very possible that you have already seen this but I didn't want your question to go unanswered.

http://www.singhealthimu.com.sg/Pages/default.aspx

It looks as though you can follow the steps outlined here and they can try to match your mom up to trials she may be eligible for.

Also, this is a worldwide database...
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/

You may have some luck searching there and using the search terms "Pancreatic cancer and Singapore" or any other location. I came up with a list, lots were completed already, but there were a few still recruiting. You'll have to read through the requirements and detailed info to see if she may qualify.

I hope this helps a little, and good luck!

Newbie New User
    Has anyone tried minnelide? There is a current clinical trial in Arizona and Minnesota for it, and the preclinical results look promising. Here is a video of one of the University of Minnesota scientists who developed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdmT2U2Wla4

Clinical trial page is here: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01927965

Senior User
    May 2012 - dad jaundice and weight loss, ultrasound sees lesion on pancreas
    Summer 2012 - all tests possible, biopsies inconclusive
    Nov 2012 - sees oncologist, put on gemcetabine - doesn't work
    Dec 2012 - discharged under hospice care... Frail but ok...
    December 2012 - Ascites
    February 2013 - Now very weak.....
    23rd February 2013 - Dad passes away, no more pain.....

MM-398, with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and leucovorin Result of early testing

Promising results from a Phase III study on a drug called MM-398. Read full article here...
    http://www.pancan.org/merrimack-phas...press-release/
    Last edited by BobInBonita; 02-03-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add heading

Senior User

Another hopeful PC test...just sharing

May 2012 - dad jaundice and weight loss, ultrasound sees lesion on pancreas
    Summer 2012 - all tests possible, biopsies inconclusive
    Nov 2012 - sees oncologist, put on gemcetabine - doesn't work
    Dec 2012 - discharged under hospice care... Frail but ok...
    December 2012 - Ascites
    February 2013 - Now very weak.....
    23rd February 2013 - Dad passes away, no more pain.....

Banned Regular User

9.2 Mos of Progression Free Survival Just Reported with PegpH20-Gemcitabine-Abraxane

If you are untreated and newly diagnosed with Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer- Stage 4b- Find a Trial Here- Halozyme Therapeutics Sponsoring Ph2 across the country-

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...pegpH20&rank=1

Banned Regular User
    Halozyme just reported 9.2 month Progression Free Survival in Unplanned Interim Phase 2 data readout of PegpH20-Gem-Abraxane, and 2/6 patients in Phase 1b lived over 18 months with PegpH20-Gemcitabine.

================================================== =
    ddessert (moderator input): Halozyme reported in their 8-K SEC Filing [here] on slide 19/36.

Reported Progression-Free Survival (PFS) rates for PEGPH20 phase 2 pancreatic cancer clinical trial in the Jan 2015 8-K statement:
    1. *FOLFIRINOX [paper]: 6.4 months
    2. PEGPH20+GemAx (this trial): 5.5 months
    3. GemAx (Dr. Van Hoff clinical trial): 5.5 months
    4. GemAx (this trial): 4.8 months
    5. Gem (Dr. Van Hoff clinical trial): 3.7 months

* I added this line for your reference [DD]

One of the criteria for entry is the availability of a fresh block tissue sample (so they can determine your HA status?). I feel certain that you will not be informed of your HA status by the researchers (do they really want all the HA low patients to bail out?). Halozyme estimates that 40-60% of pancreatic cancer patients will have HA high status (8-K slide 15/36). In case you do know your tumor's HA status (unlikely), here are the PFS stats broken out:

1. PEGPH20+GemAx (HA high subgroup): 9.2 months
    2. GemAx (HA low subgroup): 5.6 months
    3. PEGPH20+GemAx (HA low subgroup): 4.8 months
    4. GemAx (HA low subgroup): 4.3 months

In summary, the 25 HA high patients in their phase 2 study have thus far had a median PFS (progression-free survival) of 9.2 months. The median PFS of all participants in the study is only 5.5 months (the same as Dr. Van Hoff's phase 3 study of Gemcitabine & Abraxane). Definitely note that patients enrolled in this clinical trial in the HA Low group fared worse when using PEGPH20 than they did when not using PEGPH20. These are interim statistics being reported to shareholders. I'm certain that the researchers cringe when anyone quotes these statistics as they are certainly going to change after the study ends (predicted for 18 months from now!).

Based on this interim data, I would hesitate to advise patients to join this study unless they knew they were in the HA high group.

Halozyme is working on another clinical trial application strictly for known HA high metastatic pancreatic cancer patients. Now that looks promising.
    Last edited by ddessert; 02-06-2015 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Adding crucial missing information

Gemcitabine + PEGPH20 (CHEMO)

Originally posted by LancePeace - Reposted here to preserve info and organize this thread.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01453153
    The Trial above. Article below.

Overall survival increases in mice

Art Chimes Voice of America March 20 2012

Scientists at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center report they've found a way to break through the unique biological barrier a pancreas cancer tumor builds around itself in mice.
    Scientists in Seattle are reporting a potential breakthrough in the treatment of pancreas cancer, a disease which stubbornly resists most therapies.

Pancreas cancer tumors are resistent to chemotherapy partly because they form a biological barrier around themselves.

Researchers at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center believe they've found a way to break that barrier down.

"Pancreas cancer actually has the highest one-year and five-year mortalities of any cancer," says Sunil Hingorani, senior author of the study published in Cancer Cell.

That high fatality rate has been something of a puzzle for researchers who study pancreatic cancer. Powerful chemotherapy drugs that kill off pancreas cancer cells in the laboratory are next to useless in living cancer patients.

Scientists have observed how tumors in the pancreas, in effect, wall themselves off with a collagen material similar to scar tissue. That exerts pressure on the blood vessels that supply the tumor, collapsing many of them and restricting not just the flow of blood but also of chemotherapy drugs.

"And so in this way, the tumor actually isolates itself completely from the circulation, and when we try to give drugs through the vein, they essentially bypass the tumor and instead go everywhere else," Hingorani says.

So the problem may not be that the chemotherapy medicine doesn't work, but that it simply may not be able to reach its target.

To find out, Hingorani and his colleagues used mice genetically engineered to stand in for human pancreatic cancer patients. They treated them with the standard chemotherapy drug, gemcitabine, plus the enzyme PEGPH20, which is designed to open up the collapsed blood vessels that supply the tumor.

"We found that in essentially every animal that we tested, we saw the tumors shrink or at least stop growing," he said. "And we found that overall survival increased by about 70 percent so not quite doubling, but just about."

Of course, what works on mice doesn't necessarily work on people, so the researchers are beginning human trials. Hingorani says he is optimistic, but cautions that it will be a year or two before results are available from the tests with people.

However, if all works as the researchers hope, not only would the chemotherapy be more effective, there may be fewer nasty side effects. That's because with more of the medicine actually reaching the tumor, doctors may be able to use less of the powerful chemotherapy drugs.
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.