A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 30 years old, female...just diagnosed with colon cancer 2 days ago...terrified.

Newbie New User
    Hi Rhea,
    just found this forum and thought I would reply to your thread. Im sorry to hear about your story, and totally understand your fears!! I just got diagnosed too, and had a huge operation after a total obstruction in the upper part of the large intestine. And yes, it was a malignant tumor...It had spread to a few lymp nodes, so now Im starting the Chemo next week. My liver and lung scans were fine, however I feel like my entire body is a huge cancerous mass...Im feeling lumps and aches everywhere. My mood also swings alot from normal to very sad/scared. I dont think this time of year (xmas) helps us either...so worried my children will have to grow up without a mum. Like you I am young for this diagnosis, only 36. It was very kind of comforting to find this forum though, and read other peoples thoughts and experiences.
    Hope you are feeling better. Are you really going to work? I already got a sick note for the next 6 mnths. Would love to be able to work though...but thought it would be very difficult?
    Take care

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by superwoman76 View Post
    Hi Rhea,
    just found this forum and thought I would reply to your thread. Im sorry to hear about your story, and totally understand your fears!! I just got diagnosed too, and had a huge operation after a total obstruction in the upper part of the large intestine. And yes, it was a malignant tumor...It had spread to a few lymp nodes, so now Im starting the Chemo next week. My liver and lung scans were fine, however I feel like my entire body is a huge cancerous mass...Im feeling lumps and aches everywhere. My mood also swings alot from normal to very sad/scared. I dont think this time of year (xmas) helps us either...so worried my children will have to grow up without a mum. Like you I am young for this diagnosis, only 36. It was very kind of comforting to find this forum though, and read other peoples thoughts and experiences.
    Hope you are feeling better. Are you really going to work? I already got a sick note for the next 6 mnths. Would love to be able to work though...but thought it would be very difficult?
    Take care
    Hi superwoman,
    I'm glad you found this forum! Ugh, yes I know exactly how you feel, as far as feeling like your whole body is a cancerous mass. I'm hoping my chemo shrinks my stuff enough to be a candidate for surgery...but we'll see. I'm sure this situation is so much harder if you have kids. It's amazing how this disease is striking younger and younger.

Yeah I'm still working for now. I'm a bartender, I cut one of my shifts out. But the thing with being a bartender is that I have no disability, no paid time off, no medical leave. No safety net. Not a lot of savings, so I kind of need to keep making the cash while I can. sigh. Going to apply for Social Security Bennefits soon though.

Good luck with everything! Feel free to stay in touch too, it's good to have someone to talk to going through similar things as you.

Newbie New User
    Rhea,
    oh dear...it sounds hard and difficult having to work while you are going through this. But at the same time maybe it helps putting your mind on other things.

How is your chemo going? Do you have a lot of nausea?

Yes, I think there are sensitive issues when having children. that does not mean that its better or worse if you have or havent...I guess we all have ups and downs. When having children around (like for the whole christmas) you can get so busy you forget the whole c-business for a while

Thank you very much for replying, and yeah we should definately stay in touch!

Ella G