A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Incontinence - Long Term

Incontinence - Long Term

Hi

Glad I found this place and I have a couple of questions...

Went though a Radical Prostatectomy on 3/15, got rid of the bag (thank the stars) on 3/27. Healing seems to be going as expected and I'm planning on returning to work by the end of April. My question concerns incontinence. It's bad at both ends but I'm learning the signals and while I have no control yet I can at least sense that it's coming. My biggest concern is going to work this way hoping, as I write this, that I'll be recovered by then.

My biggest question is... will I?

And my second biggest question is what to do about it if I'm not.

I drive a fork lift in a warehouse or will again doing ten hour shifts. I'm worried about accidents, changing and the risk it's going to be worse at one time or another. Am I overreacting? Anyone out there been through this? My doctor has hinted that it could be a month to three, perhaps forever... Anyone know what the average times are?

All things considered, it's really good to be alive and I can live, happily, with the problems. Mostly I just want to know what's ahead. I'm considering talking to my boss (pretty good guy) about taking an extended lunch without pay which would give me a window of time between the two five hour stretches for time to change.

Good talking about this...
    Quality of life, for me, is waking up.

First, it's good to be done and over the worst part, meaning surgery.
    Hope everything is good with pathology and follow-up PSA's.
    What to do about working long shifts while incontinent is a worry. Some of us really have to work, which is perfectly logical. Taking many weeks off is just not possible, therefore you are left with the what to do's. I have an idea if the leakage is really significant when you are ready to return to employment. Ask, but ask soon, about a condom cath that can be used only while you're working. There would have to be no control to
    require this type of solution however it is a non-invasive alternative. Your Urologist can certainly give his opinion on the subject.

Another solution is to use a depends type garment and change a pad liner as frequently as you need to. From a woman's point of view leakage is a workable problem. We've had to work at this issue for a long time and there are some tricks to heavy leakage. Kegels are a woman's best friend by the way. Another friend is a pad. A poise type pad inside a second layer of protection (depends) may be all you'll need by then. It's early in the game for you right now. Things should improve a great deal by then but if not, depends and poise pad should work fine. We'll hope for no need for either though. Good luck, God Bless
    swim

Quote Originally Posted by swimom
    condom cath that can be used only while you're working. Another solution is to use a depends type garment and change a pad liner as frequently as you need to. Kegels are a woman's best friend by the way. Another friend is a pad. A poise type pad inside a second layer of protection (depends) may be all you'll need by then.
    Ask and ye shall receive!

Many thanks for the helpful hints and I've already been on-line searching for the cath. Great idea. Found a web site called

http://www.alphadry.com/system.htm

which has a neat idea, but I'm guessing. Anyway, it's definitely a good alternative to consider and thanks.

Not too worried about the depends and pads and they are already giving me enough security to do chores. I have 17 acres of ranch to take care of so being off too long is simply not possible.

I've already started practicing with Kegel via a helpful hint from a friend of ours. She's had problems for years now and while it's not helping me much "yet" I can see where it may in the near future. I've also noticed that it's seems to help manage the discomfort some. Thanks for that advise as well.

Biopsy after surgery showed positive for a few cells that got past the wall of the prostrate but the doctor is confident he can treat it in a few months when I heal more. Only problem, and it's minor at this stage of my life, is hormones for a few months, then radiation.

Frankly, I'm feeling pretty positive right now compared to the news before surgery.

Thanks again for the advise....

Big hugs
    Herb
    Quality of life, for me, is waking up.