A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fermented Wheat Germ helps fight off cancer cells!

Banned Senior User

Fermented Wheat Germ helps fight off cancer cells!

Hi,

Some of you may have heard of wheat germ and it's one of the most nutritious foods available to help in cancer treatment.

This info from Natural News website tells what this amazing wheat does:

Mechanisms of action responsible for Avemar's anti-cancer and immunoregulatory properties include:
    * Prevents cancer cell proliferation
    * Induces programmed cell death in cancer cells
    * Enhances the immune system's ability to target cancerous cells
    * Increases recovery rate of immune function following immunosuppressive therapies
    * Decreases uptake of glucose by tumor cells
    * Promotes balance between cellular and humoral immunity, thus regulating the immune response

There's a lot of info about this available on the web for you to check out if you're curious to know more.
    I myself eat a couple spoons of wheat germ every morning with my whole grain breakfast such as with either stone ground millet, quinoa, multi-grain, oats, kamut, etc. You can find this grain at Whole Foods but they're just okay compared to Rainbow Groceries which is the only store in SF CA that sells all kinds of grains, etc and are pretty pricey since they sell organic.

I highly recommend this powerful super food to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SFGiants13 View Post
    Hi,

Some of you may have heard of wheat germ and it's one of the most nutritious foods available to help in cancer treatment.

This info from Natural News website tells what this amazing wheat does:

I highly recommend this powerful super food to everyone!
    Rather an irresponsible recommendation in view of -

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    It should not be taken by those who have undertaken organ or tissue transplants, or those who suffer from bleeding erosions or bleeding ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract, enteritis, colitis, or malabsorption syndrome. Patients taking prescription medicine should consult with their doctor before use.
    Could you point me to a double blind, randomised study showing good results, please.

Are non randomised open label trials in which the age, type of treatment, time since diagnosis of the group vis a vis the control group are vastly different worth the [paper they are written on, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    A non-blinded, non-randomized, open-label clinical trial investigated the effects of FWGE on colorectal cancer. The FWGE treatment group included 66 patients who were already under treatment with standard care (i.e., chemotherapy and/or radiation) and elected to receive FWGE for 6 months in addition. The control group consisted of 104 patients who elected to receive standard care alone without FWGE. The rate of progression-related events was significantly lower in the FWGE group versus the control group (3.0% vs 17.3%, respectively), as was the incidence of new metastases (7.6% vs 23.1%) and mortality (12.1% vs 31.7%). Significant improvements in progression-free and overall survival probability were also noted in the FWGE group. However, the authors reported that, because the subjects were not randomly allocated to treatment, there were significant differences in the characteristics of the two groups at baseline (prior to FWGE therapy); namely, the control group was significantly older (66.1 vs. 61.7 years), had a greater proportion of patients who were receiving radiotherapy (53.8% vs. 27.3%) and a much shorter time interval from diagnosis to study entry (1.1 months vs. 11.2 months).[3]

David

Yes.
    Please cite any scientific studies that back your claim up.
    This does not include anecdotal stories from people who just say it works.
    Again I quote this from another member whose name escapes me.

" I have had a glass of orange juice every morning for 2 years and have not had a car accident, therefore orange juice prevents car accidents."
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Banned Senior User
    Hi,

Since I cannot post links, google each of these statement titles and look up their sites to see studies on wheat germ and let me know what you think or decide for yourself? Thanks

Fermented Wheat Germ Extract (Avemar) in the Treatment of Cancer and Autoimmune Diseases

Avemar: cutting-edge cancer fighter?

Avemar: The Wheatgerm Extract That May Help Reduce Cancer

Fermented wheat germ extract - nutritional supplement or anticancer drug?

You can post links.
    You have been here over 1 month and have done 10 or more significant posts.

You missed out on the word EXTRACT in your post which is very misleading.

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun;1051:529-42.
    Fermented wheat germ extract (Avemar) in the treatment of cancer and autoimmune diseases.

Boros LG, Nichelatti M, Shoenfeld Y.
    Source

Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA.

Abstract

Avemar, the product of industrial fermentation of wheat germ, possesses unique cancer-fighting characteristics. Taken orally, Avemar can inhibit metastatic tumor dissemination and proliferation during and after chemotherapy, surgery, or radiation. Benefits of Avemar treatment have been shown in various human cancers, in cultures of in vitro grown cancer cells, in the prevention of chemical carcinogenesis, and also in some autoimmune conditions. This document reviews the clinical and experimental results obtained with this extract so far. Special references are made for its safety, including its coadministration with anticancer drugs, as well as for its immunomodulatory activity, its molecular targets, and its use in cancer clinical trials.

PMID:16126993 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16126993
    Last edited by Didee; 12-12-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    Aussie, age 61

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Banned Senior User

Hi

Oh okay, I could've sworn BrainMan mentioned that site links are not allowed???

I might not be as clear, precise, or sharp on my posts but I'm still recovering and learning. As like everyone on this forum I'm always searching for a better solution, answer, or cure to our illnesses! Thanks

The rules are that a member has to be here for one month and have 10 or more significant posts to be able to have link privileges.

You have been here longer than most, if not ALL of us.
    Links to push alternatives are always removed and the poster banned but you were talking about something that is being scientifically tested when I looked into it.

It looked like you were telling people if you eat wheatgerm you will cure your cancer. That would definitely be not allowed here as this forum is for those who follow conventional treatments.
    Proven supplements are good though as they complement conventional treatment..
    There are plenty of forums for those who wish to pursue the alternative routes.

Your post appeared to be along those lines with your wording but it was not.

Please feel free to link to genuine medical sites as you did with Pubmed.

Anything that is being scientifically tested for benefit of those with cancer or trying to avoid it is VERY good news.
    Last edited by Didee; 12-14-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    Aussie, age 61

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

SCT Aug 2016

Banned Senior User
    Hi Didee,

Okay and thanks for explaining the rules, I may need to review the forum policy to avoid encountering another misunderstanding. I know I would never say that wheat germ can cure cancer which is not true but heard it can help fight. I also need to be more careful, double-check my wording before submitting to avoid confusion and again misunderstanding. I just want to help in any way I can since we're all in this mysterious journey searching for the hope of light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks =)

Banned Senior User

Thumbs up Hi

Just wanted to add another article about wheat germ which I hope is relevant coming from a Doctor.

"How Avemar Helps Fight Cancer"
    http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/avema...#axzz2IXoP7yRe

Rainbow Grocery is a store in SF that stocks full of organic stuff and tons of grains like wheat germ. It's the only store in the whole CA that carries all these great healthy items!
    http://asoft7155.accrisoft.com/rainbowcoop/

I remember in the past I told my friend Jay to try wheat germ and for his mom to pick some up at Rainbow G. I wish I should've pushed him more and persisted him to try it to see if it could help fight off his tumor and possibly save his life; but unfortunately I'll never know. R.I.P. Jay.

I highly recommend to anyone to try it, since it's highly nutritious and just might save your life!

Thanks
    Last edited by SFGiants13; 01-22-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Banned Senior User

Talking Hi

Just wanted to add that as far as taking wheat germ, I just add a couple spoons of it to my very nutritious whole grain breakfast every day instead of eating just regular cereal.

-I either eat Kamut, Multigrain oats, Oats, Quinoa, Millet, or Stone ground Millet, etc.
    (You have to boil them in a pot of water of course)

- I also add/choose from a selection of either organic nuts for example: almonds, almond slices, sunflower seeds, etc.
    -Organic dried cranberries, etc.
    -some Almond Breeze
    -a dash of Cinnamon
    -some honey

-Mix, serve and you have a yummy delicious meal!

This is just my example but you do whatever you prefer!
    I prefer eating Multigrain but my mom likes Quinoa since it's easier to chew

A lot of these great ingredients you can find at again Rainbow Groceries for whole grains and Trader Joe's for foods
    http://www.traderjoes.com/