A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage IV Lung cancer in an OLD guy

I am so sorry about your sister, sending thoughts and prayers to your family.
    Mom's xray July 2011 looks suspicious, CAT scan July 2011 SCLC ES diagnosed August 2011
    Etoposide Carboplatin begins august 24th 2011
    CAT December 2011 lung tumors gone or greatly reduced, liver tumor not detectable PCR January 2012 CAT March 2012 more shrinkage
    CAT July 2012 tumors growing July 2012 Topotecan CAT October 2012 Liver tumor has grown October 2012 Taxotere begins CT scan - no growth - brain mets, WBRT in February, CT Scan in March 2013 shows more growth, begin Gemzar.
    Mom passed away July 8, 2013.

Senior User
    I'm back after my first round of Alimta. I had very mild side effects. A constant runny nose is the most annoying.
    I may do a "Alimta expectations" post 'cause I couldn't find one before I started.
    My second round is next week so I see if the side effects are cumulative.

Senior User
    THat's great old man!

If the only thing running constantly is your nose, you are ahead of the game. Good luck next week!

Hugs,

Lori

Senior User
    Hi Zim, wishing you well, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. From reading your post I gather you were around here in 09/10?. You live pretty close to me, I live on the other side of you, Bel Air, md. Always liked it up your way. do you have an orginal thread? would like to read.

Praying you do real well on altima. Mickey

Senior User
    Thanks for all the well wishes.
    Mickey61, I worked on and off in Cockeysville, Md for 25 years and am somewhat familiar with the Bel Air area. I could not find my initial posts.

I completed my second Alimta infusion Wednesday and I must say that so far; (for me), this chemo is a LOT less difficult than the Cistplatin.
    I just hope that the lack of side effects does not mean the lack of effectiveness. I will get a CT scan after the next (3rd) Alimta hit.
    In the mean time, I'll keep doing my green tea extract and circumin.

Stage IV sure makes you pay attention to all the JUNK (treasures) you have accumulated. Talk about a pack RAT!!
    I ask you, who needs 6 working computers in one room. I'm starting to clear out now, because I can't see leaving that effort to my caregiver/wife Linda.

Best wishes to all of you, and DON'T forget to take care of your "Caregiver"!!

zim

Zim, I've been de-junking my space for a while now. I'm glad you are getting on well with the Alimta. The effects were cumulative for me, although you get a break in between to recover. Guess what never left me? Runny nose!

Jody
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, I’m going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I don’t. I’ll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldn’t but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Senior User
    HI Jody,
    Thanks for your comment. I glad that you are hanging in there.

I have also heard that the side effects of Alimta get a little more difficult with each treatment.

Here's some advice for all prospective Alimta users; " BUY TISSUE COMPANY STOCK" !!!
    Or a Sam's Club membership...

regards,
    zim

Zim, my mom had very few side effects with her 1st line of chemo and it was very effective. Really the main side effects were fatigue and hair loss. So it could be very effective even if it doesn't make you feel terrible! Good for you for clearing out the stuff (not junk) and not leaving it for your wife, my mom has done that and made sure that everyone got what they wanted from the stuff she was not keeping. Now that she lives with me she did the same with a lot of the stuff left over so that is one less thing we all will have to deal with.
    Mom's xray July 2011 looks suspicious, CAT scan July 2011 SCLC ES diagnosed August 2011
    Etoposide Carboplatin begins august 24th 2011
    CAT December 2011 lung tumors gone or greatly reduced, liver tumor not detectable PCR January 2012 CAT March 2012 more shrinkage
    CAT July 2012 tumors growing July 2012 Topotecan CAT October 2012 Liver tumor has grown October 2012 Taxotere begins CT scan - no growth - brain mets, WBRT in February, CT Scan in March 2013 shows more growth, begin Gemzar.
    Mom passed away July 8, 2013.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by icaps3 View Post
    Thanks for all the well wishes.
    Mickey61, I worked on and off in Cockeysville, Md for 25 years and am somewhat familiar with the Bel Air area. I could not find my initial posts.

I completed my second Alimta infusion Wednesday and I must say that so far; (for me), this chemo is a LOT less difficult than the Cistplatin.
    I just hope that the lack of side effects does not mean the lack of effectiveness. I will get a CT scan after the next (3rd) Alimta hit.
    In the mean time, I'll keep doing my green tea extract and circumin.

Stage IV sure makes you pay attention to all the JUNK (treasures) you have accumulated. Talk about a pack RAT!!
    I ask you, who needs 6 working computers in one room. I'm starting to clear out now, because I can't see leaving that effort to my caregiver/wife Linda.

Best wishes to all of you, and DON'T forget to take care of your "Caregiver"!!

zim
    AAAH Zim here is praying you will around for many many years to come! Mickey

Regular User
    Feeling good and no side effects that are noticeable can happen. My first 6 cycles of taxol/carbo platin was a breeze and it worked for 4 cycles and the last 2 it did not.

On ciplatin/vinerboline which was pretty harsh as I did not have a port so the first 2 doses days 1 and 8 were shots which caused a lot of pain in the elbow/hand it was injected in. Got power port and no more pain. Some tingling sensation in toes and fingers but no so bad. Have complete 2 cycles of new treatment whch next week I am off and getting a pet scan. The side affects seem to lessen as I go along.

Just roll with the punches and see what happens. Sometimes we are surprized.

You will be in my thoughts.

Patrick
    59 yrs male diag 7/19/12 biopsy, 7/30/12 scan stage iv squamous nsclc, left lung lobe, left hilar, subcarinal, bulky prevascular adenopathery mult adjacent sites, 2nd subcarinal, destructive T10 verebra bone erosion left side & invasion into spinal canal, left adrenal, posterior right iliac bone adjacent to the SI joint
    Tmt 7/31/12 rad 24 days, 22Aug12 chemo taxol/carboplatin 6 cycles (no pain for 6 cycles) 5Nov12PetScan 4 cycles all tumors shrunk significantly,Doc mentioned 2 extra cycles, 2nd opinion 18Sep12 liked the doc would do same recommends shot for bone, 7Dec12 2nd visit 2nd opinion thought was transferring & did not know said wanted to take a wait & see approach
    2Jan13ThirdPetScan, no reduction cancer growing multiple areas & 3rd Opinion doc has tmt with success for my cancer, transferred new tmt 8Jan13 partial because of ins: cisplatin/vinorelbine, D4 treatment pain left arm & forgot to setup appt for port so 2nd week tmt more side affects, no cake walk now