A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage IV Lung cancer in an OLD guy

Senior User
    Hi Aim,
    You wrote this post on my dad's birthday, he would of been 105 . Just letting you know I'm thinking of you and Linda. Yes, humor is important and even if at the time it might not seem like it, sometimes we can later laugh at our selves or the situations we find ourselves in.
    You take care of yourself, Zim.
    Linda

Hi Zim!
    Yes that's the Zim we know, and i am so glad we did get to know you a bit!!! Thanks for that!!
    And Linda>>> you go girl!!! Enjoy every ride, that's what it's made for!!!
    All the best to both of you!!!
    Petra
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    August 18, all still same, living life every day
    January 2019 < CT said NED!!!!
    Fingers crossed

Senior User
    ‘Lo Petra & Linda,

Never lose ‘yur’ sense of humor! (Said by an Englishman just before the AX fell.)

My sister, whom I adored, thought I would beat her to the death bed once I went to stage 4, but she managed to get there ahead of me. (She usually beat me at everything and WAS one to gloat!!!)

When she and I talked on my October 2012 birthday, she asked me why I wasn’t overly concerned that I was not getting better. I responded that laughter was so much better that tears and I fully intended to cheat death for as long as I could. I have…AND... I will continue ‘till I don’t. So there.

I’m sure that both of you have benefited from mike b’s wisdom and I was thinking of him while watching the bikers struggle up our hill. It has been a good NED run for him. I remember his first picture here (with his daughter) and I think that the 6-7 years between then and now have done him well and that (that) daughter is surely a young lady now. I am so glad that he was lucky enough to see all of his daughters grow up. I understand how much he has appreciated them as I’m watching our grand daughter grow, with glee on both of our parts.

Hug you caregiver, and enjoy life, one day at a time!!
    zim

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Bumping your thread Zim since it has been a few weeks since we have heard from you.

Lisa

Ya ol'buddy, whatcha doing?

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Yes, we miss you Zim!!!
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    Fingers crossed

Senior User
    Hello Ya’ll,
    Well, Yep, it has been a little while. I’ve been busy, naturally!

I’m going to bring up a touchy subject now, so please be patient with me as I ramble through it.

The State of Washington passed a law a few years back (effective in 2009) called ‘Death with Dignity’. It allows adults with a terminal illness to request prescriptions for lethal doses of medication. The patient has to be within six months of death and he/she must take the prescription without help, so the individual has to be mostly “with it” to do this.

It is pretty complicated… multiple visits… more that one Dr….. written request, etc.

So, off to the oncologists for Linda and I to ask about this. Why? Well that’s kinda long, but I’ll be as short as possible:: My brother in law died from throat cancer. In terrible pain .. mainlined morphine for weeks….weighted 87 lbs when I took him to the crematorium. After discussing this with Linda, I came to the conclusion that ‘mainlining morphine’ just ain’t in my future. (I have an extremely high pain threshold, which has been put to the test more than once, but there is a limit.)

As it is, less than 40% of patients actually need to take the prescription, but check out the process (like me) just in case. I am glad that Washington state passed this law. It makes sense. It is a lot more humane that keeping someone ‘alive’….when they really aren’t.

I hope that I haven’t bored you guys to much. BUT, I got that off my chest, so to speak.

All of you, take care of yourself; and take care of your caregiver!

Regards, zim

Zim I support you and whatever decision you make.
    A similar law has been passed in Canada. Actually my great uncle chose this for himself as he suffered from so many medical conditions I could not even begin to list them all. He passed peacefully at home with his family beside him. I was sad he was gone but relieved he finally wasn't suffering so terribly any more on a daily basis.
    Mick and I also discussed this when he was first diagnosed and given 8 months to live. When his mom was in hospice for lung cancer, she lingered on for over 10 months, no longer the person she was thanks to the brain met and heavy drugs she was on, she was skin and bones yet hung on as I watched her and the family suffer every day. The family was dedicated and they made sure someone was always with her 24/7 regardless of the toll it took on them for those 10 months. I have never seen so much pain in my life. Mick said he never wanted to be his mom or do that to me. Of course I never wanted to say goodbye to the love of my life but it is his life, his body, and therefore his choice. I supported his choice and still do should it ever come to be. So yes I understand where you are coming from.
    I commend you for raising this topic. I am glad you got it off your chest. I am here any time if you want to talk.
    Hugs old friend,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Yes Zim, we just passt this law here in Victoria ( will start in June ) and i'm happy about that. Not just for me, but there are so many ppl out there suffering. And as you said, it's not easy to go trough. At least three doctors, and and and...
    When i got my diagnosis, i made the decision not to die at home, as i was thinking my hubby still needs to life here...but that's just me. I already donated my body also..
    We all have to decide for our self if we still able to. After i had done all this it just kept me calmer, all was sorted.
    So what ever you want, and Linda is okay with it, we are behind you!
    But hey, i hope not to soon. We still want to enjoy a few stories from you!!
    Big hug, Petra
    Fingers crossed

Zim

You gotta do what's best for you and your family. It's nice that you have the option. However, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

mike
    At the time - 46 yo male, non-smoker
    Sept 2012 - DX - One tumor NSCLC Squamous Cell Right Upper Lung
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0
    Now - Wait, watch, & pray