A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage IV Lung cancer in an OLD guy

Senior User

Unhappy Stage IV Lung cancer in an OLD guy

I've been along time off-and-on viewer here. I'll be around more now with my new login name. A little background:

At 72 I'm in pretty good shape except for myasthenia gravis and stage IV lung cancer.

My right lower lobe was removed in 11/09 followed by heavy chemo in early 2010. 2011 CT's showed minor “tree & bud” structures in both lungs which slowly increased. No major mass shown, so washes and guided needle biopsy where just an exercise.

Finally got a needle biopsy that worked:
    Well-differentiated lung adenocarcinoma with features of bromcho-alveolar carcinoma. (Still well diffused along bronchial paths' with no major 'mass' anywhere; and I can maintain 96-98% oxygen.) I'll get a full CT in early Jan 2013 to establish a new baseline.

I'll start Alimta in January 'cause I did not have any of the markers for targeted treatment.

I'd like to hear from Alimta users to know what to expect.

Hopefully I'll be hanging around here for a while..

Regular User
    I was 72 when diagnosed Stage 3B in May '10. Alimta and one other were my first line and did well for me for over a year. I then went to Abraxane which also worked for me for over a year. Now I'm on Tarceva, though no markers were ever done, and so far my CEA #'s are coming down and I feel good so will hope it does a good job for me. My tumor was 3.1 cm in October on CT scan and had not grown in 2 years - started out as 2.5 cm. so guess all I can say is stable is good and I will hope that you and all others have a good a run as I am having.
    Female age 73. Diagnosed with stage 3 B lung cancer in May '10. Started with Avastin and then Alimta for maintenance which lasted fromn June '10 to May '11. Progression, so swithched to Abraxane June '11 and working well - CEA tumor marker # down from 165 to 8 as of March '12.

I did four infusions of Alimta but only after eight weeks of Carbo/Taxol/rad. It wasn't any harder than the other two drugs and I'm sure I would have tolerated it better if my blood counts had been optimal. I was told that it's main use, in my stage of treatment, that it was to try and eliminate the cancer further from my nodes in particular. The original tumor was not detectable. Jody
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, I’m going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I don’t. I’ll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldn’t but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Senior User

Alimta

Thanks for your input.

I did not tolerate my initial chemo very well, so I'm not sure how many cycles of Alimta I'll take. We won't know the complete story until after the full CT(with contrast) is evaluated; SO, depending on the results, I may make Jody's Option 2 choice.

Right now I'm more concerned with "taking care of my caregiver". It has been a difficult ride for her.

Happy New Year.. 'zim'

Senior User
    zim, You sound like a sweetheart wanting to take care of your caregiver. I'm sure it's been diffcult for the both of you. I hope your results are good.

Linda
    Lindahun/Summerfield, FL

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi icaps

Welcome to our Forum. Ahhh what a sweetie, taking care of your caregiver. I did a little digging as I seem to recall that Dano, here on the forum had great results with Alimta... here is one of his threads for you to read through. http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...rom-Paradise-D

I hope you have the same success that Dano did.

God Bless.

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Quote Originally Posted by icaps3 View Post
    Thanks for your input.

I did not tolerate my initial chemo very well, so I'm not sure how many cycles of Alimta I'll take. We won't know the complete story until after the full CT(with contrast) is evaluated; SO, depending on the results, I may make Jody's Option 2 choice.

Right now I'm more concerned with "taking care of my caregiver". It has been a difficult ride for her. Happy New Year.. 'zim'
    You might be a real good candidate for clinical trials if you feel good enough. You are my superman. You sail over every hurdle put in front of you. What didn't you take very well with the first chemo? I endured Alimpta. And it took a lot out of me. It drained me, but I finished it. It will push it back.

Your caregiver will be able to do those little things that bother you. If you pass on before her.

Take care and good luck my friend. Jody
    Last edited by april51; 01-02-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Duh.
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, I’m going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I don’t. I’ll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldn’t but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Senior User
    "Your caregiver will be able to do those little things that bother you." If you pass on before her.

Thank you all for your kind words.
    Jody, I hope that my 57 year old caregiver last a long time!! Twenty three years ago I had to decide whether to adopt her or marry her. Marriage turned out to be a lot more fun!

I'm sorry for not posting a reply to your comments sooner, but a trip to NC for my sister's service took me away.

My 74 year old sister passed away on Christmas Eve. She had breast cancer (a different type in each breast) about 12 years ago and was clear until back pain sent her to the doctor in late October 2012. She had advanced NSCLG in both lungs with mets to various other places. She had one round of chemo but was to weak too tolerate more. Her condition was complicated with other medical problems and she was in so much pain that death was welcome.
    Her daughter (caregiver) is truly a saint for keeping on and keeping on through my sister's last days.

regards zim

Super Moderator Top User
    icaps,

So very sorry to hear about your sister. May she rest in peace.

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

I as well am sorry to hear about your sister. Many prayers with you and your family.
    Mom's story: http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-no-symptoms. 10/30/12 first alert lung cancer. 11/13/12 barochoscope done - lymph nodes tested positive, port put in. 11/16/12 diagnosed SCLC. First Chemo 11/26 -11/28/12. Notified that she has brain Mets. First radiation 12/03/12 - last 12/14/12. On 4/1/13, tumor has shrank from 9 cm to 4.1. Brain mets are microscopic. 12 weeks off (had 6 rounds of chemo)