A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Average cost of a PET scan?

  1. #11
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    I am suddenly so grateful for what I thought was crappy insurance!! My copay for a fully body PET scan was only 100.00$...and I thought that was a lot!

  2. #12
    Senior User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Massachusetts HMO. Billed insurance $7470, cost to me NOTHING, in 2014 PET/MRI will cost me $250, CT scan NOTHING. In 2014 our insurance is starting with TIERS, 3 of them for everything, drs, tests, inpatient hospital stays. Everything used to be free or small co pay for DR 's visits, primary or specialists. Medications have had 3 TIERS. Not wonderful but at least MOST things ARE covered.

  3. #13
    Administrator Top User Kermica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    My coverage is through my employer and the only thing I pay is $15 per specialist visit. Scans, treatment, whatever is $15. Of course, when I signed up, I signed up for what is called the "buy-up" plan which means I agreed to pay more in monthly premium for lowest overall out of pocket cost in the event of a catastrophic illness in my family. At this point, I am very happy that I opted for that choice.

    Of course, since I am now considered totally disabled, I will have to make some choices again later this year. In August, I will have to transition out of my company plan to a sole payer plan which is mandated under a law here known as COBRA. I will also check out the Veteran's Administration since I am eligible for benefits there, as well. As a last resort, I will consider using Obamacare, probably a gold or silver plan.

    My friends in the United Kingdom, I have come to admire most aspects of what NHS provides (less so in Canada, from what I can see) at reasonable cost. I don't think the U.S. will ever get there. Step one is to see if Obamacare can survive all of the trials and tribulations that have developed during this initial implementation phase. Most of them were avoidable but the arrogance of our two party leadership made that failure almost a foregone conclusion...oh, well.

    Good health,

    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

    Age 67
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxan, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.
    August 2015 - physical exam in error, PET/CT shows no evidence of disease. Remission continues well into second year!
    December 2015 - Cardiologist tells me I have plaque buildup growing at an alarming rate. Stent or bypass down the road but not yet...
    March 2016 - new tumor below the jaw so remission is over. Back to active surveillance until treatment is needed.
    June 2016 - C/T scan indicates presence of multiple lesions in iliac chain.
    August 2016 - PET/CT shows multiple areas of lymphoma as expected plus new areas of concern in bowel.
    January 2017 - C/T scan shows significant progression in cervical and inguinal lymph chains, largest tumor is impacting hearing, measures 2.1x4.6 cm. 4 to 8 cycles of R-CVP, 1x3weeks to commence 2/6/17.
    April 2017 - Mid treatment scan shows about 1/3 reduction in multiple tumors. Also shows abdominal aortic aneurysm with peripheral thrombus. Cardiologist changed meds, spoke of need for surgical repair down the road.
    September 2017 - finished 10 rounds of R-CP, V was stopped due to neuropathy in feet. No further treatment planned at this time, at least 10 tumors can be felt which seem to be growing again.
    December 2017 - Biopsy of external iliac node with SUV of 13.1 shows no transformation! However, the FL grade is now 3A instead of Gr 1-2. Will start indefinite protocol using Copanlisib, one of the new targeted therapies. I remain hopeful.
    March 2018 - Copanlisib failed, treatment stopped 3/28. New plan is to go to Dana Farber on 4/16 for case review and treatment recommendation.

    May 2018 - did not qualify for clinical trials at Dana Farber. Tumors need to get larger to be considered. On consultation w/Dr. Armand at DF and my onc, have decided to take a break from cancer treatments. Will have a biopsy of the mass in my sinus discovered in scan at DF and to get the aneurysm repaired as it has developed a potentially catastrophic penetrating ulcer. Surgery scheduled for 7/12.

    September 2018 - biopsy of mass in nose shows transformed DLBCL throughout. Assessing options for this negative development.

    October 2018 - started 6 to 8 cycles of R-CHOP. Goal is to get to full remission to open up other options.

    February/March 2019 - PET shows four hot spots following R-CHOP. referred to Dana Farber for stem cell transplant. Pre testing all good, accepted for Auto Transplant. Will begin inpatient process about April 1.


Similar Threads

  1. Average time to gain bladder control
    By rooster0330 in forum Prostate Cancer Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
  2. Colposcopy: Ball park...average estimate without insurance?
    By Midnight_Butterfly in forum Cervical Cancer Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 07:37 PM
  3. average wait time from diagnoses?
    By Vinny in forum Colon Cancer and Rectal Cancer Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 05:53 AM
  4. Treatment Cost
    By Fairwind in forum Prostate Cancer Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 05:09 PM
  5. Cost Of Test
    By Johnny in forum Prostate Cancer Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts