A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: AML Treatment

Newbie New User

AML Treatment

Hello, I'm new to this site, and this will be my first post. I'm 17 years old, and I was diagnosed with AML in December of 2011. I finished my treatment in May of 2012. I'm curious as to how my treatment differs to everyone else. I only went through 4 rounds of chemo, which was cut back from the original 6. They told me research had shown that it would not really make a difference in relapse rates etc, if I were to do 6. I also did not receive a bone marrow transplant, should this have been offered to me? I was told that the transplant was only used as a last resort. I feel cheated, so to speak, out of my treatment. I feel as if I could relapse any day because I did not receive a "proper" treatment. I want to get opinions from other view points on this situation. Do you think there's something wrong with the way this was handled?

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

So sorry you are here and also sorry that you are feeling this way. Fear of relapse is normal and in your case it is exacerbated by your chemo being cut by 2 cycles. Not knowing what your chemo was I can't really comment on why they did cut the last 2 cycles out but I would guess it was because of a large study which showed that 6 is better than 8. The fact you are freaked out is normal. We call this fear the 'noise' and it can become deafening as you have found out. You need to distract yourself away from cancer for a while in healthy ways, do as much exercise as you can, eat and sleep well and you will do the best you can to avoid the 'noise' and relapse.

If you are in remission then all is well. Try not to worry too much about relapse because you have a good chance of not ever having one.

Good luck
    Last edited by ChemoMan; 02-14-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.