A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stage 1A, grade 3 serous ovarian carinoma

1st treatment went much better than I expected. Afterwards, no nausea at all - so the premeds really worked. My husband and I read our Kindles, and played cribbage. I ate a lite lunch, and was surprised that I was hungry (maybe more of the premeds affect). Afterwards, I went to work the next day. Other than stomach cramps, I did well. The second day, I was a little lite-headed, but again, was able to stay at work all day. I'm on my two week rest period now - still haven't lost my hair, but I'm sure that's still coming.

Have added two new supplements - probiotics (to help my digestive tract) and milk thistle (to help my liver). After I took both of them, the next two days my balance was a little off, so today I took a break from both of the new supplements. Now I'll have to figure out which one of them is causing the balance problem for me. Tonight, I'll take just the probiotic. I've also been drinking a glass of prune juice nightly, and that has been doing a great job of keeping me "regular". Really trying to use as many natural products as possible.

My attitude is still positive. I've taken a medical leave of absence from EMS - I still have my EMT license and will have it thru 2014. Needed to reduce some of the "business" in my schedule, so that I can take care of myself right now. Am finding that it's really great to have more time with my family, and less time running from one scheduled activity to another. This cancer diagnosis has made me look at what's really important to me, and appreciate all the little things. I haven't joined a support group yet, but plan on doing that soon.

Brooklyn Girl, this is great to hear! I'm glad it's going so well for you. Please make sure your gyn/onc knows what supplements you're taking. Some can interfere with chemo, and she'll be able to tell you which ones. I hope you'll find a good support group. Mine is a good one and I've learned a lot from the women there.
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking.
    - 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo.
    - Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles
    - Additional chemo regimens: Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles.
    - Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avastin - 1year.
    - April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.
    - September, 2015, started on Megace because my tumors are PR positive. Stopped Megace after three months.
    - September, 2016, hospitalized for shortness of breath and back pain.
    - September, 2016, respiratory failure reversed with prednisone. Maintaining on 50 mg Prednisone per day and supplemental O2.
    - October, 2016 left hospital with no supplemental oxygen. Feeling great! Will start tapering off the prednisone Oct. 10.

Newbie New User
    Brooklyn Girl, Hi,
    I had surgery 5 weeks ago and am starting chemo on Thursday. You're the first person I've been able to find with my exact staging and grade rating: 1A grade 3. Did you end up doing 3 treatments or 6? My oncologist, whom I trust, is recommending 6 based on the latest research. I'm wondering if you did 3 or 6 and how do you feel about your decision. I'm also wondering how you are now and would love to hear that you're well and thriving. All best, Lisa

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    LBLG

Welcome to the forum.

Brooklyn Girl has not returned to the forum in over 4 years so unlikely you will receive a response.

If you care to start your own unique thread then perhaps a current member may be able to offer some insight.

I am closing this thread to avoid confusion.

Lisa