A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Can they identify pancreatic cancer spreading to liver based on CT on infected liver?

Newbie New User

Can they identify pancreatic cancer spreading to liver based on CT on infected liver?

My father had the Whipple procedure in May 2012. He was told they got everything out and nothing spread to the surrounding tissues based on the biopsy. He was on 6 months of chemo "just in case". A month after he finished chemo he became Jaundice and he is now back in the hospital. They had a CT done in the ER and later found his liver to be infected. They diagnosed cancer spread to the liver based on that CT, I question the CT results taken when his liver had so much infection in it. Now that it is drained they refuse to do another CT, and insist they can tell the difference. Initially, I found this paper: Link removed per new user policy and understood that this is a rare phenomenon and
    The development of a biliary stricture in patients who have undergone PD for malignant disease is usually benign and should not be automatically attributed to anastomotic tumor recurrence.
    means that they can put a stint in and there should be no extra cause for concern. The dr that read this paper (my brother presented it to her) was surprised and said that this is not a rare phenomena and that most Whipple patients come back with Jaundice and their outcome is bleak.
    I would like to hear your opinion on this.
    Last edited by DebbieC; 02-28-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Link removed

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Hi Sondacop,

Welcome to the forum. I had to remove the link from your posting due to our new user policy, but I am reposting it here....
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1570556/

....because I do think it's an article worth reading.

I have not read through the article in its entirety as of yet, but based on your comments alone, in your position I would request that a biopsy be done to determine whether or not this is, in fact, a recurrence. In my dad's case, he had the whipple and when the mets returned in his lungs, they did a CT scan and had a good idea and were positive that it was cancer, but a biopsy was done just to be 100% sure. Seems to me that in any case, this should be the next step regardless of how "sure" the doctors feel that they are.

If they refuse, I would advise a second opinion without a second thought. Again, I haven't read the article yet but my initial reaction to the facts that you have given is that further testing is necessary. Period.

I just also have to say that I'm sorry that your family is again in this position. It sucks...without a doubt. And I also understand the need to find that it is anything, ANYTHING, other than a recurrence. I truly hope that in you dad's case, it is not.

Debbie
    Last edited by DebbieC; 02-28-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Typo..I hate typos!
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥