A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My 2 1/2 year old is underwfeight, anemic, fevers. Should I ask for more tests?

Newbie New User

My 2 1/2 year old is underwfeight, anemic, fevers. Should I ask for more tests?

I have a 2 1/2 year old son who is sick. He weighs 24 lbs. He is anemic and pale. He is vitamin D deficient and broke his leg twice when he was 20 months old. He has fevers all the time for no reason. He is irritable and tires quickly. He is sooo skinny. He ends up with small bruises mostly on his shins which is probably normal? He will lay down in the yard with his blanket an hour after nap time on a beautiful sunny day while the other kids run around. (Here in Portland Oregon beautiful sunny days have been few and far between.)

When he was born he was 8lbs 8oz. When he was 8 months old he only weighed 12 lbs. Then the broken leg (twice) and now anemia and fevers.

The Dr.'s keep telling me he is fine just "small." They did draw blood for a CBC with Differential and a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel after he broke his leg the second time. I was never given a copy of the results. The low HGB is a recent thing and was not an issue at the time the CBC and CMP were done.

I am not trying to be the crazy person who thinks their kid has cancer. I pray every night that he doesn't have cancer or anything else, and try to just forget about all his issues. I have this nagging feeling he is sick. I have an older son and do daycare for an 18mo old little girl. I am a stay at home Mom and it is apparent to me he does not feel good a lot of the time.

Did your child have any long term symptoms prior to diagnosis? Would the CBC and CMP performed almost a year ago for sure rule out leukemia? Did you ever have the feeling something was wrong? I'm just not sure if I need to push for more tests or just leave things alone. Any advice is welcome.

I should mention my sons paternal Grandmother has chronic leukemia. I should also mention that he is on "state" health insurance and has only been seen at "county" run clinics. I know this should not make a difference in the care he receives but itís a sad truth that it sometimes does.

Newbie New User
    Keep pursuing answers. It took us 5 months to diagnose our daughter. Leukemia can take a long time to show up in blood work. My daughter had bloodwork in mid February that was clean. In May it came back that 77% of her blood was filled with Leukemia lymphoblasts..... My daughter had all the symptoms you listed above. Hope you find answers. We have to be our child's advocate. I know our pediatrician thought I was crazy. I just kept coming in. I know she felt bad when we finally found out and it showed up in the blood.

Newbie New User
    my daughter was diagnosed with failure to thrive an dbrain cancer at the same time. her blood test were fine. if you feel something isn't right fight for proof

Please be aware this thread was posted over 2 years ago.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016