A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Hoping for some advise

Newbie New User

Hoping for some advise

My 8 and a half year old daughter is haveing surgery in 10 days to remove a neoplasm that is growing in one of the knuckle joints of her writing hand. I just found out that she will not be allowed to return to the softball season she just started (her first one) and won't be able to swim for the first 6 weeks of summer possibly longer if we have to do a second surgery if the pathology comes back as malignant She does not know any of this yet and I'm afraid to tell her because she is a very active and sporty gal. She is already freaked out about the surgery because the surgeon told her that she was going to make a "flap of skin to expose the joint". I just don't want her to be stressed out any more then she has to be. She had to go under general anesthesia for it because its in such a tiny area with lots of nerves etc so they want to make sure she doesn't move. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator Top User Hope2012's Avatar
    Not as major a surgery as your daughter, but my 11 year old is having her tonsils and adenoids out next week. She is very worried and anxious about it. Anyhow, I reassure her as much as I can, and I also found a counsellor for her to talk to and it's helped a lot. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and hopefully she's back to normal again quickly so she can enjoy her summer.
    This dark night shall end and the sun will rise again...
    Believe

- Dad diagnosed in 1992 with primary bladder cancer
    - bladder removed and new one made from resected intestine
    - chemotherapy regimen started
    - mets to large intestines discovered in 1993...more chemo...tumors disappearing
    - complained of neck pain Dec 1994. Mets to brainstem confirmed
    - passed away Feb 24, 1995