A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: T-Cell Lymphoma presentation

Senior User
    yes it is you
    Zorro
    Age 61
    diagnosed March 20 2013
    High Grade Non-Hodgkin Diffuse B-Cell Lymphoma w/some Burkitt like cells involved
    PET showed spots on liver and enlarged spleen w/hot spots all over Lymp areas
    Treatment started Martch 29 2013 R-ECHOP 6 rounds (1 week on 2 wks home)
    Spinal tap w/chemo for insuarnce (clean spinal fluid)
    neulasta shot after R-ECHop treatment
    June 29 PET clean
    Sepr 12 PET clean
    Nov 11 2013 melanoma removed from back all clear margins 7 inch cut
    Nov 25 confirmed MRSA infection and cleared up with bactrim
    Dec 16 still waiting for wound to close and heal (on his lat and he works out)
    wound from melanoma healed and infection gone, great war scar now
    Cat Scan Dec19th scan was clean
    Feb 20th Ct came back NED "NO ENEMY DETECTED" WHEW!!!
    May 20th 2014 NO ENEMY DETECTED!!!!!!!!! CT clean
    Aug 12 Bloodwork came back as doing what it should be doing. Cat scan in Nov.
    Oct 08 2014 tested positive for hyperthyroid. testing this week to find out more.

I am in your corner.
    Aussie, age 59
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo or hap transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable. All I needed to hear. I am pumped and ready. BRING IT ON

Senior User
    Thank you so much for posting this! It's the best information I've run across in my month of researching this disease. Based on your comment and what I think I heard Dr. Shustov say,
    does he recommend COP and adding etoposide (add the "E", take away the "H") for younger patients as well as 60+? He spoke so quickly I couldn't quite catch it. Also, I think I heard him say (but again, he spoke so quickly I'm not positive) that when auto stem cell is recommended, and there is a remission as per the PET scan after three chemo rounds, that he moves directly into conditioning for stem cell transplant vs. continuing the remainder of CHOEP?

It would be very grateful if there was a way to verify the above information. My son's treatment plan is six rounds of CHOEP and then move into BEAM and auto stem cell. It seems there is no change in the plan regardless of the remission after three rounds, or change in the conditioning protocol, even though he would have received 18 rounds of Etopocide and then more Etopocide in BEAM.

I wonder if Dr. Shustov would do a teleconference for a second opinion?

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar

A lot has changed

The information in the presentation is now almost 4 years old. And, the T-Cell world is rapidly evolving. I would contact him via his foundation's contact page. http://www.tcllfoundation.org/form/contact-us
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow aspiration/biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice. Two sub-types of lymphoid malignancies and a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Senior User
    Sadly, I don't find that a lot has changed for ALCL, at least not in the frontline. That's what my son's doctors tell him and it's confirmed by my month of research. It's just too rare of a cancer and clinical trials take many years to gather enough of a patient population for a Phase III trial. There are one or two clinical trials out now that include ALCL, but my son couldn't qualify because we had to move immediately into treatment. The standard is still decades-old CHOP or some approved version of CHOP such as adding etoposide, and immediate auto stem cell if it's an aggressive type such as his (ALK-negative, DUSP-22 negative). ALCL generally responds well to chemo - it's the potential for relapse that keeps me up at night. However, I am trying very hard to live one day at a time and rejoice if it's a good day! If I spend my life in fear of the future, I won't be much help to anyone.

I haven't totally given up all hope that there may be something new out there that Kaiser docs and Julie Vose may not know, and I did contact Dr. Shustov via email, so thank you for that info!

Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    The information in the presentation is now almost 4 years old. And, the T-Cell world is rapidly evolving. I would contact him via his foundation's contact page. http://www.tcllfoundation.org/form/contact-us
    Researcher, advocate, and caregiver to my son, age 24
    July 2016, Diagnosed with Systemic ALCL ALK-neg, DUSP-neg, stage IV, IPI 2, PIT 1, normal LDH, normal B2 microglobulin
    Sept 2016, Third round of E-CHOP complete; PET scan NED
    Nov 2016, Sixth and final round of E-CHOP completed - Continued to live alone and work two jobs through chemo!
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED
    March 2017, Experiencing symptoms: cough and stomach issues. Found two small lumps in neck
    March 2017, CT scan shows relapse. Confirmed by PET
    April 2017, CD-30 confirmed with biopsy; Begin Brentuximab for at least three cycles
    May 2017, Biopsy came back with new diagnosis: Classical Hodgkin's! Likely misdiagnosed initially (by three different pathologists)
    June 2017, Only partial remission with Brentuximab
    July, 2017, ICE x 2 (worst yet). Awaiting PET-CT scan.
    August, 2017, very good response, but not CR, moving forward with ASCT. Outpatient at CBCI in Denver.

Senior User
    An updated presentation on T-Cell Lymphoma (2015) from the Lymphoma Research Foundation Website: http://dream.presentme.com/audio2015/10032015LRFPro/
    July 2016, Diagnosed with Systemic ALCL ALK-neg, DUSP-neg, stage IV, IPI 2, PIT 1, normal LDH, normal B2 microglobulin
    Nov 2016, Sixth and final round of E-CHOP completed - Continued to live alone and work two jobs through chemo!
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED
    March 2017, Experiencing symptoms: cough and stomach issues. Found two small lumps in neck
    April 2017, CD-30 confirmed with biopsy; Begin Brentuximab for at least three cycles
    May 2017, Biopsy came back with new diagnosis: Classical Hodgkin's! Likely misdiagnosed initially (by three different pathologists)
    August, 2017, very good response, but not CR, moving forward with ASCT. Outpatient at CBCI in Denver.

Senior User
    An updated Presentation from 2015 can be found here: http://dream.presentme.com/audio2015/10032015LRFPro/. Alas, not a lot has changed from 2012, with the exception of checking for DUSP-22 chromosomal rearrangement if diagnosed with ALCL ALK-negative! http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/...o-checked=true
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED

Senior User
    YAY! Victory! The importance of testing for DUSP22 in pathology for anyone diagnosed with ALCL ALK-Negative, can no longer be ignored! It's in the new 2017 NCCN clinical guidelines! If you are ALCL and ALK-negative, but also positive for DUSP-22, your outcome is similar to ALK-Positive, which is to say, quite positive! *NOTE: stem cell transplant is not recommended if you are DUSP22 positive plus ALK-negative!* My son was diagnosed in July of 2016 and this information was not on Kaiser's radar. I found it during my own research and requested the test. If you are being treated "in the community" as they say (and not at a NCI-designated Cancer Center see https://www.cancer.gov/research/nci-role/cancer-centers) your facility and oncologist or managed care insurance company, like Kaiser, may still not be clued in. ADVOCATE for yourself and request the test. If you get any pushback, tell them to look in the 2017 NCCN clinical guidelines.
    Last edited by VMarie; 05-23-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Dec 2016, PET scan NED

Newbie New User
    Is there any way to get an online consult or a second opinion from Dr Shustov?
    Also the link to the interview doesn't show the interview.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
    Is there any way to get an online consult or a second opinion from Dr Shustov?
    Also the link to the interview doesn't show the interview.
    I do not know. You can try contacting him via the contact link at his foundation website.

www.tcllfoundation.org
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow aspiration/biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice. Two sub-types of lymphoid malignancies and a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.