A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Is there such a thing as germ protecting stroller

Is there such a thing as germ protecting stroller

I am completely new to the forum, and reaching out for some help. My 1.5 YO nephew, Cormac, was just received his first round of chemo for hepatoblastoma. With his white blood cell count expected to drop, his parents are very concerned about germs. One of the very few things that seems to make Cormac happy right now is going for walks in his stroller. His mother tells me she has seen some strollers that seem specially designed to keep out germs - with plastic wrapping around them, etc. I have been unable to find anything on this topic Googling for the past 20 minutes on various key words. Is anyone familiar with such a stroller or accessory, specifically to prevent the spread of germs?

I appreciate the help of the forum.

UncleJonathan

I have absolutely no idea but if it was my child I would be avoiding crowds, maybe drive to a park, beach or oval etc and walk there and carry plenty of wipes for hand hygiene. The plastic on strollers to my knowledge is for rain and I would not be creating a hotter environment if it is summer where you live by swaddling it in plastic. That is just me though but if you do make sure there is plenty of hydration for the child. My guess is that it would be uncomfortably hot too with no ventilation. If you are in winter like we are then that would, to my mind, be ok.

I would be more concerned with germs on shopping trolley handles, play equipment, shared toys, things others touch who may not have washed hands after the toilet or coughed and sneezed into them. Good hygiene would take care of that with strict vigilance with hands to mouth.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016