A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Steroids for pain relief

Regular User

Question Steroids for pain relief

My son found profound pain relief from his bone pain on Thursday when he was administered his first ABVD Treatment.

Today, he says the pain is coming back and getting worse. We know he was given steroids and the chemo, and can't decide which was making the difference in the pain.

Do you use Steroids for pain relief? What side effects do we have to worry about?
    I see articles and it looks like they are used a lot in the UK, but not necessarily here in the states (Cancer.Org doesn't even discuss steroids for pain relief!).

Any input is welcome,
    Thanks!

Mamma

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    My son found profound pain relief from his bone pain on Thursday when he was administered his first ABVD Treatment.

Today, he says the pain is coming back and getting worse. We know he was given steroids and the chemo, and can't decide which was making the difference in the pain.

Do you use Steroids for pain relief? What side effects do we have to worry about?
    I see articles and it looks like they are used a lot in the UK, but not necessarily here in the states (Cancer.Org doesn't even discuss steroids for pain relief!).

Any input is welcome,
    Thanks!

Mamma
    Steroids are not used for pain relief generally which is why you won't see to much online about it, in short they don't work. They do relieve pain in rheumatic diseases but this is due to its anti inflammatory effect They do have specific roles in various lymphomas as an integral part of therapy.
    Pain after chemo is common especially where the tumor burden is large. The pain is due to tumors breaking down. Take it as a good sign that the chemo is killing that cancer. This generally happens the first time chemo is given, it will most likely get better quickly.

Your doctor can prescribe painkillers for your son if it gets too bad and OTC pain killers don't work. No point in suffering needless pain.

All the best
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

For cancer pain, opioid analgesics ( like morphine ) are the mainstay of analgesic therapy. Opioid analgesics may be combined with non-opioid drugs, such as parasetamol, or with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ) and adjuvant drugs. Parasetamol can be used at any step of analgesic scale and improves pain and well-being, unless contraindicated. Steroids has no place in the treatment of cancer pain.

Newbie New User
    Bone cancer pain needs dexamethasone in addition to pain meds.