A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello...Mother-in-law with Stage IIIa NSCLC

Newbie New User
    Hi All,

Thanks for all your prayers, thoughts and concern. It's quite lovely to log on and see replies.

We are now at My Mother-in-law's apartment and she was so glad to be home. We got a hospital bed from VNS Hospice. We will do the bulk of her care with support from a Home health aid 3 hrs a day. VNS has been incredibly responsive. She is rapidly declining and they have taken swift action and followed up thoroughly with the pain medication changes. We are in good hands.

We have many of her friends around us who are supporting in lots of ways. One comes every evening and sends us out for dinner and a walk.

I spoke to my teenage children back in Canada about me staying here with her and how that would impact their first day of school and homework etc. My 15 year old son said "mom, we are going to start school 12 times in our lives at least, she is only dying once. You stay with her." We have great people with them so I know they will be fine.

We are now dealing with confusion, hallucinations - but she isn't frightened, thank goodness. We had 2 hours of conversation yesterday and then sleep and haziness. Today she's been either in pain or sleeping.

My husband is doing ok - we are glad to have each other to lean on.

Thanks again for reading.
    Sugar

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Sugar,

So sorry that this decline is so rapid and I pray for peace and comfort for all of you at this difficult time.

Lisa

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Sugar,

She's very lucky to have you 2 by her side. Your son sounds like an amazing kid....you've done a good job there too. Sending prayers to you all. God bless

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Newbie New User
    Hi Lisa and Irish,

My mother-in-law passed away on Tuesday night. She went very peacefully. On Sunday we finally got her pain managed and had no more breakthrough pain. She wanted to go into a deep sleep and then just go. That's exactly how it happened.

We had the honour of being with her many friends at her funeral and shiva on Thursday.

Thanks for reaching out and having this site which allowed me to get a ton of information and connection with people going through the same challenges.

Wishing you all the best!
    Sugar

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Sugar,

So sorry to hear another person has lost a loved one to this horrible disease. The memories you have of her will be with you always.

Lisa

Super Moderator Top User
    Sugar,

I'm so very sorry that you've lost your MIL. I'm glad her passing was gentle. It must have brought her great comfort to have her son and you with her at the end. God bless

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Sugar, I am so sorry that you lost your MIL, but very glad that she was peaceful at the end. I am glad you got to be with her and to be with family and friends for her funeral. God Bless.
    Mom's xray July 2011 looks suspicious, CAT scan July 2011 SCLC ES diagnosed August 2011
    Etoposide Carboplatin begins august 24th 2011
    CAT December 2011 lung tumors gone or greatly reduced, liver tumor not detectable PCR January 2012 CAT March 2012 more shrinkage
    CAT July 2012 tumors growing July 2012 Topotecan CAT October 2012 Liver tumor has grown October 2012 Taxotere begins CT scan - no growth - brain mets, WBRT in February, CT Scan in March 2013 shows more growth, begin Gemzar.
    Mom passed away July 8, 2013.

Newbie New User
    Just read your post. I was just diagnosed with squamous stage 3a wrapped around my pulmonary artery. Iím 68 yrs old. Iíll state chemo and radiation next week. Iím very tired already and have chest pain. I have no idea what to expect. Itís the not knowing thatís scary.

Hello Balt,
    I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. However this is a very old thread and the original poster has not been on for a very long time. I have copied and started our own thread for you to avoid confusion and to ensure your story is hear. Please look for this new post. I will write more there after I close this one.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED