A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Do you think this is stomach cancer or a stomach ulcer in your opinion ?

Newbie New User

Do you think this is stomach cancer or a stomach ulcer in your opinion ?

About 4 months ago I began to experience a dull pain in my upper abdomen. I thought,"oh no, whats this new pain?"
    Anyway, I was concerned but it gradually went away by itself after about 4 weeks.

But every now and again it comes back for a day or two and hasn't really gone away. My doc examined me yesterday and prodded my abdomen and put his finger right on the tender area. It felt uncomfortable.

I have noticed that when I am worried or anxious about something, this same pain pokes me. My doc's first idea was , "it may be an early ulcer issue" but I asked, "so waht about cancer?" and he made some noises about getting an endoscope etc.
    I don't know whether that was him being a super-cautious insurance-minded doctor , so whether he really thinks it could be?

Based on my symptoms, what do you think?

Hi. Sorry but none of us have crystal balls nor do we have any special expertise in diagnosing people.
    Your best bet is to do some tests like the doc suggested. Usually tests are done hopefully to rule things out, not have some preconceived idea then go looking for conformation.

Your symptoms are vague and could be anything. There is no need for you to be posting on a cancer forum where those diagnosed are battling hell every day just trying to stay alive. If you ever do get a cancer diagnosis we will be here for you.
    Good luck and best wishes.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

As a doctor, I agree with Didee, you need your doctor to manage your pain rather than a forum. There are pages of diagnoses for abdominal pain and no one in a forum can tell you which one you are suffering from.

Good luck
    Peter

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
    About 4 months ago I began to experience a dull pain in my upper abdomen. I thought,"oh no, whats this new pain?"
    Anyway, I was concerned but it gradually went away by itself after about 4 weeks.

But every now and again it comes back for a day or two and hasn't really gone away. My doc examined me yesterday and prodded my abdomen and put his finger right on the tender area. It felt uncomfortable.

I have noticed that when I am worried or anxious about something, this same pain pokes me. My doc's first idea was , "it may be an early ulcer issue" but I asked, "so waht about cancer?" and he made some noises about getting an endoscope etc.
    I don't know whether that was him being a super-cautious insurance-minded doctor , so whether he really thinks it could be?

Based on my symptoms, what do you think?
    I think it is stomach ulcer, If you want to affirm stomach cancer, you can see some books about stomach cancer
    Last edited by Didee; 09-05-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Reading books will not confirm anything and it is also useless as well as irresponsible just giving guesses as to what could be the matter with someone.
    People need to get trained medical advice.

How Stomach cancer is diagnosed.

Stomach cancers are usually found when a person goes to the doctor because of signs or symptoms they are having. If stomach cancer is suspected, tests will be needed to confirm the diagnosis.
    Signs and symptoms of stomach cancer

Unfortunately, early-stage stomach cancer rarely causes symptoms. This is one of the reasons stomach cancer is so hard to detect early. The signs and symptoms of stomach cancer can include:

• Poor appetite
    • Weight loss (without trying)
    • Abdominal (belly) pain
    • Vague discomfort in the abdomen, usually above the navel
    • A sense of fullness in the upper abdomen after eating a small meal
    • Heartburn or indigestion
    • Nausea
    • Vomiting, with or without blood
    • Swelling or fluid build-up in the abdomen

Most of these symptoms are more likely to be caused by things other than cancer, such as a stomach virus. They may also occur with other types of cancer. But people who have any of these problems, especially if they don’t go away or get worse, should check with their doctor so the cause can be found and treated.
    Since symptoms of stomach cancer often do not appear until the disease is advanced, only about 1 in 5 stomach cancers in the United States is found at an early stage, before it has spread to other areas of the body.

More....

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/stomach...ncer-diagnosis
    Last edited by Didee; 09-05-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016