A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: 10 years in remission of AML - just turned 33-there's hope

Newbie New User

10 years in remission of AML - just turned 33-there's hope

I was 22 when I was diagnosed with AML. I am now 33 (just turned this week) and am fine. Just want to tell everyone there is light at the end of the tunnel! My friend now has AML which has brought it all back to me and he is really struggling. I look at the statistics and wonder how I know someone so close with exactly the same disease that I had. I found the key to getting better was being positive, having a plan and milestones to work to, such as, I was part of a trial and I knew I was having at least 4 chemos so let's work towards the first one, I am a quarter of a way there already, then the second lot, I am half the way there.... Well I was on a trial so the randomisation gave me another chemo for good measure. But I felt positive by looking forward. The illness changed me for a long time, I was the most comfortable person in a body ever! I know me, and that's brilliant, I fell comftable with me. That's a hard place to get too. But I still dread the hospital appointments, which are now yearly, the smells of the hospital, the sick people....me, a long time ago. Just want to say its great to hear people talking about things, it's one thing I am not very good at which has brought it to light with my friend being ill. I feel more worried now than I have ever felt before.

Newbie New User
    Hi x I was diagnosed this year at 23 and am now 24 and in remission. Your post inspires me as I know that there is hope but readjusting back to normal after so long in hospital is really difficult. My friends are really struggling to understand how I feel and am at a bit of a loose end. There is so much I think and feel and I don't know how to get it out of my system. I suffer from terrible anxiety and don't always know what to do with myself. How did you readjust? Did you find anything particular that helped you? x

Newbie New User

Hi michael

Quote Originally Posted by michaela89 View Post
    Hi x I was diagnosed this year at 23 and am now 24 and in remission. Your post inspires me as I know that there is hope but readjusting back to normal after so long in hospital is really difficult. My friends are really struggling to understand how I feel and am at a bit of a loose end. There is so much I think and feel and I don't know how to get it out of my system. I suffer from terrible anxiety and don't always know what to do with myself. How did you readjust? Did you find anything particular that helped you? x
    Hi Michael, sorry I haven't logged in for a while due to unfortunate circumstances. I treated everything like a milestone, basically if I get to two chemos I am half way there, three and I am nearly done. Then I set myself targets in my life, by the time I was thirty I wanted to move house, get a new job, wanted a child and wanted to go disney world in Florida. I was told I wouldn't have kids and I took no notice, fate would tell me so I refused tests and tried for a baby 18 months after my treatment and we had my son. Anxiety wasn't an issue for me when I was ill and thereafter but in the past year I have been worried about getting ill again and it happening all of a sudden so if I get a general illness it makes me worry and the family too.But I have to have a word with myself and say sort yourself out ali, you are here and your fine. I had a friend who was worried when he was diagnosed and I think for me you have to stay positive and not give up. If you give up your body gives up but if you are strong and remain positive from my experience it lifted people around you and you. I remember laughing my head off one day in hospital after my fourth chemo, got my brother and sister and their partners in the room and we sat laughing for a couple of hours. My face hurt for days, but I needed it!

Please tell me how your getting on.

Newbie New User
    I was diagnosed with AML in September and just finished consolidation #3. Thank you for sharing. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Newbie New User
    Hiya, my sister was diagnosed in November 2013. She has just had her third lot of chemo. At the moment she is ok. But very much up and down emotionally. Just to let you know Michaela my sister has felt the same. Doesn't know what to do with herself etc. Luckly she has a little boy of 2. He keeps her busy when she is well. I believe in setting targets too. We have done the same three quarters of the way through with one more to go. Trying to think of things for her to focus on. I do feel very helpless at times.

Regular User
    Hi there,
    Kellya that's fantastic that you're 10 years in remuneration, well done! You're an inspiration to all sufferers. A friend of mine is currently battling leukaemia and I can imagine when you hit 10 years it can be a great moment, and a reminder. Taking each day as it comes certainly seems to be a great strategy to cope, remembering who you are and letting your family and friends comfort you is also important. From watching loved ones I realised emotional strength plays a big part in the lifestyle of those who suffer. There is no point in feeling helpless, that's not going to do anyone any good, most likely you have lots of people trying to help you or your loved one so stay positive; hope, treatment and attitude is all you have so don't give up on that.

Unfortunately I also have a family members with cancer so I have spent time doing research as I'm sure you all have too. Information I found about leukaemia is very positive. It has the highest survival rates in the UK out of all types of cancer http://www.pcrf.org.uk/pages/cancer-table.html The 5 year survival rate also has great numbers thanks to funding and research. In the 1970's the five year survival rate was only 12%, in 2011 that was 41%, that's a huge increase and with continued research that 40% can only get higher.

(Solicitation link deleted as per forum policy)

Well done for sharing your remission story, by continuing to do this you will give others hope.
    Last edited by po18guy; 03-12-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: solicitation link deleted