A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: NHL stage 4 and and the love of my life

Senior User
    Well, we went to the onc and we are keeping him on as permanent Oncologist. FINALLY!!! Someone who listens and spends timewith us.
    Good news first. DLBC is not back ����*♀️����*♀️����*♀️����*♀️. So everyone out there dong R-ECHOP it can and does work. Remember he had stage 4 and in the bone marrow.
    He does have Follicular Lymphoma. It is not in the Bone Marrow. We are now on a watch and wait protocol and my husband is so good with this. He is out for a 5 mile run as I type to all of you. He does have a lump we are watching and the onc had me feel it and showed me how to examine him once a week. Say what!!!! Insert own joke on guy code here
    We are seeing the onc and doing blood work every 4 weeks and we can go sooner if another lump or something else we are not sure about comes up. We will also do another PET in 3 months to compare the images. The onc said new things are coming out fast for lymphomas, I know this because some of you are testing them for the rest of us. How I thank you for being part of the cure while fighting it back yourselves. He mentioned a drug that began with a V and I am so sorry I did not write it down. He said it is not out yet, but soon. I am sure someone out there knows the name. If not I will ask next month for sure. We are treating this as a chronic illness now and will deal with things as they appear. Meantime we will enjoy life.

On another note. I have been reading nutrion books etc on cancer. I asked the onc if cancer ate sugar and made cancer grow faster. He smiled of course. He said "the guy just ran 5 miles, he can have a coke if he wants, live life and enjoy life"
    I am so grateful you all are out there.
    Zorro
    Age 61
    diagnosed March 20 2013
    High Grade Non-Hodgkin Diffuse B-Cell Lymphoma w/some Burkitt like cells involved
    PET showed spots on liver and enlarged spleen w/hot spots all over Lymp areas
    Treatment started Martch 29 2013 R-ECHOP 6 rounds (1 week on 2 wks home)
    Spinal tap w/chemo for insuarnce (clean spinal fluid)
    neulasta shot after R-ECHop treatment
    June 29 PET clean
    Sepr 12 PET clean
    Nov 11 2013 melanoma removed from back all clear margins 7 inch cut
    Nov 25 confirmed MRSA infection and cleared up with bactrim
    Dec 16 still waiting for wound to close and heal (on his lat and he works out)
    wound from melanoma healed and infection gone, great war scar now
    Cat Scan Dec19th scan was clean
    Feb 20th Ct came back NED "NO ENEMY DETECTED" WHEW!!!
    May 20th 2014 NO ENEMY DETECTED!!!!!!!!! CT clean
    Aug 12 Bloodwork came back as doing what it should be doing. Cat scan in Nov.
    Oct 08 2014 tested positive for hyperthyroid. testing this week to find out more.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    He mentioned a drug that began with a V and I am so sorry I did not write it down.
    Venetoclax, maybe?

Whatever the case, it's always good to read of yet another scare that turns out to be just that -- and life goes on.

PBL

Moderator Top User
    Thats a good update and now the stress levels are down, enjoy watching hubby get on with life and try not to examine that node to often
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.

Experienced User
    I am so happy its not the worst news ( also not the best i reckon ) but still good news.

Damn 5 mile run on his 60s ... i need to start doing something!

All the best for both of you!
    Nov/17 : Wife 36y diagnosed DLBC NHL in the Breast ( Stage 1AE )
    Nov/17 : Started 6 x RCHOP 21 ( finished Mar 2018 )
    Apr/18 : PET/CT early April confirmed in Complete Metabolic Response
    On to 15x Radiation ( total of 30Gys )
    May/18: Rads done
    Ago/18: 3x HDMTx completed!
    Dev/18: PET-CT Done. All good
    Apr/19: Follow up. All good.
    Oct/19: Follow up. All good.
    ... on to follopw ups...

Senior User
    Thanks, by the way he is now 67. Power on.
    Zorro
    Age 61
    diagnosed March 20 2013
    High Grade Non-Hodgkin Diffuse B-Cell Lymphoma w/some Burkitt like cells involved
    June 29 PET clean
    Sepr 12 PET clean
    Oct 08 2014 tested positive for hyperthyroid. testing this week to find out more.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Good news!

But, are you still worried about marrow involvement? Staging?

Fuhgeddaboutit! I laugh at stage IV! My marrow shrugs it off. Of course, I survived so I can be a little cocky. But, I also had it in my spleen and small intestine, stage IV-B twice.

Easy to say: Not to worry.

Senior User
    Hi Po,
    No bone marrow involvement and staging is still not done. I do know it is an A though. I also know this is the surprise lymphoma as in where the hell it will show in the body. kermicas thread has been read by me soooooo many times. Meantime we are doing ok and feeling healthy so we are making the best of that. Thanks for the laugh and your DARK humor dark humor can really be a friend of mine.
    Zorro
    Age 61
    diagnosed March 20 2013
    June 29 PET clean
    Sepr 12 PET clean

Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    On another note. I have been reading nutrion books etc on cancer. I asked the onc if cancer ate sugar and made cancer grow faster. He smiled of course. He said "the guy just ran 5 miles, he can have a coke if he wants, live life and enjoy life"
    I am so grateful you all are out there.
    Zorro
    Your Hubs is amazing. "Just ran 5 miles". If the man wants a coke and a cookie....Go for it!

David
    67 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1 (ALK-)
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. All fine, save a bit of arthritis.
    11/14/14: 24 month post transplant check-up--still NED.
    5/15/15: No NED this time. Relapse confirmed/ started every 3 week brentuximab
    Allo transplant in Feb 2016.
    100 day post transplant scans in June 2016 fine.
    3 yr. post SCT check up: all fine, no issues.

Senior User
    Just a hello and update on things. We go to get a cat scan next week to see how the organs are doing with fll. Not staged yet. It is odd to be on a wait and see kind of thing. Instints want to destroy ASAP. Other wise we are hanging in. We live in Northern calif by all the fires of late and are grateful for rain now. At one time it was just my husband in The stores wearing a mask and now it is everyone. Just wanted to post and say all is fine. Took a good month to wrap my head around this last diagnosis, but we all seem to adapt to things and I am sure it is how we survive. This forum is one of the best things I ever did for me. I am truly thankful for all of you.
    Zorro
    Age 61
    diagnosed March 20 2013
    June 29 PET clean
    Sepr 12 PET clean

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    We'll send all of our rain from up here! As to cancer therapy, we gauge our response to the ferocity of the attack. If it is attacking rapidly, we counter punch quickly. If it is just sauntering along, we keep a wary eye on it. This is actually good, since new treatments will then have the time to arrive on the market.