A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: No Good Data For or Against Taking Vitamins, Experts Say

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No Good Data For or Against Taking Vitamins, Experts Say

Even though millions of Americans pop a vitamin, mineral or multivitamin supplement every day, an influential government-appointed panel of experts says the jury is still out on whether they help boost health or not.

In its draft guidelines, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force said that in some cases, certain supplements, such as beta carotene or vitamin E, may actually do more harm than good. Instead of focusing on supplements, they recommend that people focus on the health benefits of a well-balanced diet instead.

read the full article here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ry_142401.html
    Age 60
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

So essentially..nothing new.
    Aussie, age 59
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo or hap transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable. All I needed to hear. I am pumped and ready. BRING IT ON

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Didee View Post
    So essentially..nothing new.
    That's right, stick to the diet recommened by your nations peak medical authority, stay away from fad diets and keep active.
    Age 60
    Stage 2a

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

Newbie New User
    I don't quite agree. Now I am a doctor of theology not of medicine so I am no expert in the field! However, I have a belief that there are natural oils, minerals, and vitamins that can help in defeating cancer or preventing it. We just don't know what they are. Nothing is proven. I guess I believe that the earth God created is so awesome that we have not even begun knowing all the positives that are out there. But again I am no expert and I have no experience on the issue. So treat my words like a grain of salt. I do believe in low fat and exercise.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemoMan View Post
    That's right, stick to the diet recommened by your nations peak medical authority, stay away from fad diets and keep active.
    But you can use vitamins to supplement certain things you need more of right? Or is that wrong?

Are you saying that vitamins are never really worth it? Or maybe that they are meant to be used as part of a balanced plan of diet and exercise?

Just a little confused. Sorry.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wargrr View Post
    I guess I believe that the earth God created is so awesome that we have not even begun knowing all the positives that are out there. But again I am no expert and I have no experience on the issue. So treat my words like a grain of salt. I do believe in low fat and exercise.
    Low fat and exercise, definitely. I can tell you that I have received at least two chemotherapy drugs, and one biological agent that were either derived from plant sources, or were isolated from cultures grown on soil samples - one in Italy and one in Japan. My email friend in Germany maintains that prayer alone has healed him several times (cardiac and stroke events).

Quote Originally Posted by KiannaB View Post
    But you can use vitamins to supplement certain things you need more of right? Or is that wrong? Are you saying that vitamins are never really worth it? Or maybe that they are meant to be used as part of a balanced plan of diet and exercise? Just a little confused. Sorry.
    There are some natural substances (i.e. citrus and even citrus oil-containing teas) that inhibit the liver's production of an enzyme known as CYP3A4. That enzyme is necessary for the body to metabolize (utilize) certain anti-cancer drugs, and a shortage of that enzyme means that treatment will be less effective - some of the drug passing unused out of your body. There are a lot of "ifs" here, so best to ask your oncologist's office.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin GvHD arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 3 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow aspiration/biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease. Active surveillance is the course of choice. Two sub-types of lymphoid malignancies and a myeloid malignancy lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KiannaB View Post
    But you can use vitamins to supplement certain things you need more of right? Or is that wrong?

Are you saying that vitamins are never really worth it? Or maybe that they are meant to be used as part of a balanced plan of diet and exercise?

Just a little confused. Sorry.
    Hi
    If you have a balanced diet the supplements are not necessary, you are simply wasting money.
    If you have a poor diet or are taking medications that deplete your reserves then supplements are not a bad idea.

I take Methotrexate for RA. This depletes my reserves of folate so I take supplements for it but this is recommended by my rheumatologist. As a result the mouth ulcers that can be bothersome for people who take MTX are within tolerable limits for me. I get a bit of peeling from the mucous membranes in my mouth but it does not hurt and I do not get ulcers.

I hope that clears this up for you
    Age 60
    Stage 2a

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    There are some natural substances (i.e. citrus and even citrus oil-containing teas) that inhibit the liver's production of an enzyme known as CYP3A4. That enzyme is necessary for the body to metabolize (utilize) certain anti-cancer drugs, and a shortage of that enzyme means that treatment will be less effective - some of the drug passing unused out of your body. There are a lot of "ifs" here, so best to ask your oncologist's office.
    But for those natural substances, I guess there is no reason to turn to vitamins. Seems like it is best to go to the source.

I will be sure to talk to the oncologist. Thank you for giving me some information that I can take to them.

It feels like I don't even have enough information to ask any questions. Really paralyzing stuff.

Thank you so much for your help.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemoMan View Post
    Hi
    If you have a balanced diet the supplements are not necessary, you are simply wasting money.
    If you have a poor diet or are taking medications that deplete your reserves then supplements are not a bad idea.

I take Methotrexate for RA. This depletes my reserves of folate so I take supplements for it but this is recommended by my rheumatologist. As a result the mouth ulcers that can be bothersome for people who take MTX are within tolerable limits for me. I get a bit of peeling from the mucous membranes in my mouth but it does not hurt and I do not get ulcers.

I hope that clears this up for you
    Yes, it does, thank you.

I am just so afraid of words like 'balance'. I just seems to uncertain, or precarious.

Pretty sure that I have just been using vitamins to try and gain some feeling of control.

Trying to get over these types of fears and the idea that I have to be trying everything simultaneously.

Newbie New User
    This is nothing new.