A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: low grade vs high grade -another point of view

Senior User

low grade vs high grade -another point of view

http://thelizarmy.com/2012/01/erin-glioblastoma/

A doctor would say her because her tumor type is more aggressive and malignant. But she thinks she has it better than me. She can use her time to focus on the important things in life like her husband and children. She’s traveled the world and has close friends and very close family. She’s grateful for the rich life she’s led.
    She said she felt bad for me because I will never know the joys of having children. And since my tumor is less aggressive I still have to deal with pretending to live a normal life while knowing death is around the corner any year now. (I can argue against her opinions but that isn’t the point of this post.)

just wanted to share this with you.

Super Moderator Top User
    I'm not sure what you're sharing, Stardome. Are you suggesting people with GBM have it better than people with low-grade gliomas?

After reading the whole blog page, it seems that the blogger is saying that her friend Erin (who has the GBM) is the one saying that she has it better with her GBM than the blogger does with her grade II Astrocytoma. I'm a little confused because the comparison seems to be in their actual lives (Erin has a family and children and has travelled, and the blogger does not and hasn't). So she feels luckier because of her life experiences? I'm not sure why the blogger can't have children, I didn't find anything about that.
    My own opinion would be that anyone with a grade II is much luckier than anyone with a GBM because they have time. Time to experience what they haven't, or live out the bucket list, and the possibility of never having an upgraded tumor or regrowth, and perhaps a normal life span. Times when I've felt sorry for myself since my my diagnosis, I've reminded myself how lucky I am that I have time.
    grand mal seizure leading to MRI discovery of a suspicious brain mass in left temporal lobe May 24, 2013
    99% resection of a WHO Grade II diffuse fibrillary astrocytoma July 11, 2013
    1st postoperative MRI October 11, 2013 - clear for any regrowth
    occasional complex partial and absence seizures
    Clear MRI September 2016
    Regrowth on MRI March 2017
    200 mg of Topamax daily

Senior User
    stardome-

This does present a different point of view than most people would likely agree with. I'm not sure whether Liz, the blogger agreed with it or not. She is an interesting character. She's very active as a brain tumor advocate, having traveled to Washington to lobby with congress people about funding for research. She's very proactive, and looks to the future, which is something we brain cancer patients have a hard time doing. On a positive note, Erin, the GBM patient, has had ups and downs but is still here fighting. She has problems speaking, and getting around easily, but she's enjoying watching her kids grow up.

Scott

Senior User
    sorry for the late reply. sibling i didnt compare or commented on the blog post. i posted the opinion of a gbm patient which is quite different.
    I'm not sure why the blogger can't have children, I didn't find anything about that.
    at her later post she commented

Brett and I are not having kids, which is partially due to brain cancer, partially due to being selfish, and partially due to a genetic disorder that may rear its head. However, it would be nice to have something like that to look forward to. For now we plan lots of trips.

as for Erin i follow her blog and i very happy to say that with speech therapy, she is improving day by day.

Super Moderator Top User
    Well, if one person who has GBM who has led a full life and is a longterm survivor has the strength and peace of mind to feel that way, that's great for her. But having lost my sister in the prime of her life to GBM when she had not led a full life I really don't agree or appreciate hearing about it as a "point of view". I would much prefer that my sister had had a low-grade tumor and was still alive.

If this woman was a member of this forum and wanted to state this point of view of course I'd welcome her opinion but as it is... I don't see the point in taking her opinion out of context and posting it here as if to say that people with high grade tumors are more fortunate than those with low grade tumors.

About a year ago, a woman came on here and posted a very similiar opinion, and her reasoning was that people with GBM are, on average, older than people with low-grade tumors. At the same time, someone else had just posted here that their twelve-year-old son had GBM.

On average.

How about if we just agree that nobody wants a brain tumor?