A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Fentora Alternative?

Newbie New User

Fentora Alternative?

Hello Everyone,
    I just joined this group with hopes of finding an alternative to the pain medication, Fentora. Fentora's made to treat cancer pain but I've been taking it for a little over six years for pain brought on by a spinal cord injury. I recently had to change my part D health insurance and the new policy doesn't cover Fentora. A 30 day supply of Fentora would cost me $15,000 which I definitely cannot afford! I was wondering if there is anyone else in this group in a similar situation where they've had to replace Fentora with another pain medication? I read online about a medication called Subsys and was wondering if anyone in this group as ever tried this medication? I was using Actiq but started getting many more cavities which is when my doctor switched me to Fentora. I found the Fentora to be a little more fast acting as well.

I really appreciate any information you all can provide, thanks!

Regular User
    Hi - talk to your doctor and see if you could use Addnok (Not sure if its available in your place , but this was prescribed for my mom for her pains)

Do ask your Doctor.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

This site gives some suggestions, perhaps one of the hints will help [pre-auth strategy for insurance coverage; A “compounding” pharmacy can make an under-the-tongue fentanyl product; Use a fentanyl patch and supplement the patch with Ethoxydose; make your own “under-the-tongue” fentanyl preparation].

You can help us learn: You mentioned that you use Fentora for back pain. Isn't it restricted to cancer patients (at least in the US)? It must be obtained through the TIRFREMS program, which states "TIRF medicines are indicated only for the management of breakthrough pain in adult cancer patients 18 years of age and older (16 years of age and older for Actiq® brand and generic equivalents) who are already receiving and who are tolerant to around-the-clock opioid therapy for their underlying persistent cancer pain."
    Last edited by Spouse; 02-16-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Tarceva hints in this thread.

Hospice - a support thread here .