A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Hyperthermia Treatment

Newbie New User

Hyperthermia Treatment

Not sure where I should post this, so hopefully this is an appropriate place

As with everyone else, unhappy circumstances lead me to register. I lost my father 6 months ago to lung cancer and a few days ago, my father in law has had CT results which look extremely worrying.

He has a mass which is 11cm height, and 12cm wide, 10cm deep in what you'd externally call his stomach area. From the breast bone down to the belly button under the skin, and 10cm deep. Inoperable as its tied up with blood vessels. And I assume very well supplied.

Its not attached to any organs but is now starting to press against them which led to his symptoms and investigation. He has a biopsy next week. What I suspect will happen is he is given a terminal diagnosis with aggressive Peritoneal cancer. I dont know obviously, it's as its a very rare cancer in men it might be an intra-abdominal malignancy but Im just speculating.

I'm getting extremely confused by the information and misinformation available. My main avenue of googling currently is the German treatment of hyperthermia. It seems that a type of this is used by the UK NHS in heating chemo drugs during debulking surgery

It seems that this might only be used in metastatic rather than primary peritoneal cancers by the NHS. I also dont yet know if his tumour is suitable for debulking.

Im reading that the German clinic type of hyperthermia might be a suitable treatment for him

Does anyone have an opinion on hyperthermia? Any advice on this or the situation as a whole?

It seems to be being trialled at stage 3 or something in the USA and theres a good few positive UK medical journal articles on it, so am hoping its not considered a complementary therapy as such.

Thanks in advance

Hello, and so sorry to hear of your father's passing and of your father in law's recent diagnosis.

I don't know much about hyperthermia treatment, but if you do a search at the top right of this forum for "hyperthermia", it will bring you to a list of threads where it has been discussed. Here are a couple of links to get you started...hope you can find something useful in them!

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...t=hyperthermia
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...t=hyperthermia

Wish your father in law the best!

Debbie
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Newbie New User
    Thank you Debbie, thats really helpful, will have a look this evening.