A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: tumor in femur of 5 year old grandson

Newbie New User

tumor in femur of 5 year old grandson

New to this forum, but when a family member was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 years ago, cancer net forum. Helped me through that journey so I thought maybe this is where I needed to turn now. My grandson, 5 years old, had been complaining with his leg hurting for a while but not constant. He is very active, plays soccer, wrestles with his older brother a lot, we assumed a bruise or something simple. He didn't limp or anything. Had him at his pediatric a couple of times never anything just growing pains he then started having more pain at nights and waking up with cold sweats and some fever. Finally the pediatric refers us to an pediatric orthopedic where we have X-rays and find a tumor inside the femur and now we are being sent to UAB for surgery. All in 2 days time. We are terrified. No one wants to ever think of cancer but everything I read is pointing that way. I read about Ewings Family and it scares me. Guess I'm just looking for some insight. Some prayers would be the greatest gift. If anyone has had any dealings with this type of illness please help us understand what to expect.

I am sorry but I am totally clueless about your grandson's issues. Having three little grandbabies myself, tho< I can imagine how terrified you all must be about thisw sudden turn of events. Hopefully someone with more insight into these kinds of childhood tumors will drop by and have better info. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I read your story, and am sending all prayers and good karma in your direction in fervent hope for an excellent outcome. Hang in there, and if you can, please let us know how the surgery etc turns out.

And know that loads of people here will read your story and say some prayers for the little guy. In the meantime, lots of hugs to you all....

66 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1 (ALK-)
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. All fine, save a bit of arthritis.
    11/14/14: 24 month post transplant check-up--still NED.
    5/15/15: No NED this time. Relapse confirmed/ started every 3 week brentuximab
    Allo transplant in Feb 2016.
    100 day post transplant scans in June 2016 fine.
    2 yr. post SCT check up: all fine, no issues.

cancer insurance