A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Testicular Cancer Concern

Newbie New User

Testicular Cancer Concern

Hi, this is my first visit to these forums. I am an 18 year old male who was diagnosed with stage 3 testicular cancer this last Christmas. An orchidectomy was performed (I believe that is what it was called). This left the tumor that spread to my abdominal region, and I have been going through the plan of 3 cycles of chemotherapy, two of which are complete. My most recent session completed two weeks ago.

My side effects from treatment were not as severe as other's, some nausea during and after treatment, issues eating, and hair loss, mostly. This is why when something does pop up, it sets off a red flag for me.

For the last two days, I have had a "pounding-like" headache in my left hemisphere frontal lobe-- always the same spot. I have also noticed an increase in blurred vision upon standing/walking for extended periods of time. I'm curious as to if the cancer can spread even during chemotherapy treatments. I don't recall the doctors ever taking a CT or MRI of my head, and I've just been really concerned lately.

I don't want to check myself into the hospital for a "headache", especially since my next treatment is in 11 days. I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had this kind of effect from chemotherapy or if this is something that I should be worrying about?

Hello. I would be letting your Oncologist and the radiation people know what is going on.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Newbie New User
    Thank you for the responses! HeartofSoul, to be perfectly honest, a lot of this confused me. I'll try and respond to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by heartofsoul1 View Post
    One of the questions I would ask your DR is why a MRI of your brain was not ordered since you were dx with stage 3 (there is no category of stage 4). The "pounding-like" headache in your left hemisphere frontal lobe could be from other causes not related to cancer but its important to find out what is causing it. While chemotherapy can spread during chemo treatments, the combo of 3 rds of Cisplatin, etopiside, and bleomycin is statistically highly effective against this type of cancer.
    The issue is, I don't recall them doing this. When I was diagnosed, everything happened so quickly; within an hour of diagnosis, I was going into surgery. They very well might have, I'm going to call to be 100% positive. And I take Bleomycin for 30 minutes, and Cisplatin and Etopiside for 90 minutes, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by heartofsoul1 View Post
    When I was dx one of the first things my Dr ordered was a MRI of the brain. I had stage 3b non seminoma embryonal testicular cancer. The results from my MRI of brain were negative.

Do you recall if the type of testicular cancer you have is embryonal non seminoma? Do you remember if there was any mention of malignant nodules or nodes in the lungs?

Sounds like a ultrasound was done and then a Orchiectomy followed by a cat scan which included coverage from your pelvis to your chest. Ask for the pathology report also.
    I'm not sure, however it started out in the testicle and spread to the retroperitoneum space as a germ cell tumor, if that helps. I can get more information when I call in today. And yes, they did a pelvis-chest cat scan which I remember clearly.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is an unrelated issue, but I developed head sores at the same time the headaches began (not in the same spot, these are on the back/side of my head). My roommate suggested that it may be a staff infection of some sort, but I thought I simply scratched at it in the middle of the night.

Thanks again for the very informative post!