A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symptoms that can be Colon Rectal Cancer (CRC)

Symptoms that can be Colon Rectal Cancer (CRC)

There has been many posts from guests and members worried they may have Bowel cancer herein after referred to as Colorectal Cancer (CRC).

The following is not to be construed or used in any way as a medical diagnostic pathway. It is a compendium of symptoms that may indicate the possibility of CRC.

Again from the worried posters, it is evident that many if not all have used a search engine such as Google to explore the symptoms they have.
    Remember, whatever search criteria one uses relating to loose motions,change in bowel habits, mucus in stools, blood in stools will lead you to a site that says Colon Rectal Cancer.

In fact the majority of posters go on to receive the good news they don't have CRC, but some others digestive disorder such as IBS, Diverticulisis, Ulcerative Colitis or Chrohn's disease to name but a few.

Following is a list of the most common medically recognised symptoms that may indicate the presence of Colorectal Cancer.

The list is for reference purposes only and does not constitute, infer or suggest a diagnosis. A diagnosis can only be made by a medically qualified doctor following exhaustive tests and procedures.

IF IN ANY DOUBT A QUALIFIED DOCTOR SHOULD BE CONSULTED.

SYMPTOMS

Blood in stools (faeces) or bleeding from the rectum

Change in normal bowel habits that has lasted for 3 weeks or more.
    Such as
    -Diarrhoea
    -Constipation
    -Passing stools more frequently
    -Change in stool formation
    Stringy
    Narrow
    Pellets
    -Passing Mucus with stools

Abdominal pain normally present below and the left side of belly button.

Unexplained weight loss

Anaemia

Fatigue

Breathlessness

Feeling bloated with the prescence of excessive gas (that has lasted for more than 3 weeks).

Vomiting.

The above list is not exhaustive, but highlights symptoms that should NOT BE IGNORED.

Bowel / Colorectal Cancer (CRC) can affect any part of the Colon and Rectum. Most commonly developes in the descending colon, the sigmoid colon or rectum.

CRC usually but not always developes from a polyp which has formed in the lining of the colon or rectum which becomes cancerous.

Some rare types of CRC arise from other cells within the wall of the Colon or Rectum which become cancerous and as yet these rare cancers are not fully understood as why the cells become cancerous.

RISK FACTORS.

AGE.
    Predominently CRC is most common in older people, 8 out of 10 diagnosed are older than 60 years.
    Yet, CRC can be diagnosed in people in their teens (extremely uncommon) and throughout up to middle age and beyond.
    Evidence suggests that the older one becomes the greater the risk factor of developing CRC.

Suggestions that a close relative has had CRC may indicate a gene factor but not always.

If you have had Chrohn's disease or Ulcerative Colitis for more than 10 years.

Obesity indicates increased risk

Lifestyle factors
    Little if any exercise increases the risk of CRC developing
    Excessive alcohol consumption.

Dietry.
    Although the jury is till out on what factor processed meats and foods
    may increase the risk of developing CRC, it is recognised that a well
    balanced healthy diet is beneficial in possibly reducing the incidence
    of CRC as well as reducing many more unwelcome illnesses.

I hope this so called check list is of some use and provides guidance to those that are considering posting under "Worried you may have Cancer" or on the new members or Colon Cancer Forum.
    Remember NOT EVERY DIGESTIVE OR BOWEL PROBLEM IS CANCER.

We can't make a diagnosis and we will not attempt to guess. What we can do and it is our mission is to attempt to guide, help and support those that unfortunately need to find us, be here even if you are just worried you may have CRC and in the unfortunate event you are diagnosed we will attempt to support you every step of the way.
    You are not alone, we are all cancer sufferers, carers and or survivors, as we have all been in the place you think you may be or are in, what you feel, we feel, your worries are our worries, we shall do whenever and whatever it takes to get each and every one of you through what are your darkest days.

Finally don't be all doom and gloom, take a look at our members yes, some are fighting for their very lives, but still support others and newbies, carers that have gone beyond every call of duty, those riding the roller coaster of surgery and chemotherapy and those that through what is the miracle of modern medicine are surviving and living a relatively or indeed normal life.
    We hope all of you that come here can leave us with a no cancer diagnosis or walk the hard and difficult road and eventually become a "SURVIVOR".

It doesn't matter if you have read the details above and are still concerned or you have been diagnosed

We will attempt to help you however we can.

Our members on the CRC forum are an amazing bunch of what I would say are some of the nicest, kindest and knowledgable people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

We don't have all the answers to every question, but collectively on the CRC with the personal knowledge and experience we manage pretty good.
    WE know as we are all there or have been there.
    Barry

Rider

We are not advertising for business, but going through the worry of pre diagnosis can be the most stressful of times for you, your family and relatives.

We regard ourselves as a international family, if you are new or an old hand you are part of our family and we look after our family. There is no need to be scared or anxious or frightened to ask questions or post your experiences, vent, scream or shout (excepting profanity which we don't tolerate) but please don't worry alone.
    Whatever and whenever our family door is wide open.
    Last edited by Baz10; 09-01-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Addition
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+3.
    Active surveillance for time being.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile.

Listen to Barry people, he definitely knows what he is talking about. He has mentored a lot of us SURVIVORS and we now all him friend.
    Diagnosed with Stage 1 bowel cancer on 12/12/13.
    CT scan showed no further incidences of cancer.
    Operated on 16/12/13 & 1 foot of descending colon removed plus most of my rectum, my gall bladder was removed with a large stone & they also removed endometriosis found during surgery.
    Discharged from hospital after 6 days later and no chemo or radium for me. Yeah
    Got myself impacted three times since discharge with first and third visit to hospitals, all treated with laxatives by doctors.
    Bowel finally started working again 8 weeks post surgery when a Chiropractor reset my digestive system.
    3 months post surgery now and using fibregel to control constant diahorrea as everything I eat gets me running
    Life is manageable again. Looking forward to being 12 months post surgery when my symptoms will be even better.
    Tip: Don't expect a fast recovery after surgery. Insides take ages to heal.

Newbie New User
    Thanks for that info re colon cancer
    I'm being referred for colonoscopy and endoscopy ASAP as have become aneamic with no other symptoms
    I'm scared .....

Jan,
    As the others said on your original post, don't jump to conclusions.
    The is no such thing as sleeping colon cancer, it lets you know.
    If you have no symptoms listed above apart from slight anaemia then I'm guessing your doc is being ultra cautious.
    Not a bad thing I'd say, but nothing to be alarmed about.
    Moral
    You don't have colorectal cancer until your officially diagnosed.
    Far to many other things can mimic colon cancer most are easy treatable.
    Best of luck with the upcoming colonoscopy.
    Ohh the worst bit is the laxative PRE treatment, don't stray more than 10 yards from the toilet, you have been warned, disregard this at your peril and embarrassment.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20.

Motto

Newbie New User
    I'm new here, and I am still recovering from my surgery from colon cancer, the wound hasn't even healed, however, I did want to throw in a symptom that I experienced during the last two months before discovery (which was only found because it completely blocked my colon causing uncontrolled vomiting and being only 34, cancer was not thought to be looked for).

Anyway, in the last two months before hospitalization, I would experience flu like symptoms with a high fever (102-104F) that would last for maybe 24-36 hours then disappear. I would go back to feeling fine again then anywhere from a week to two weeks later I would run the high fever again.
    Thought I would add that to the list. My cancer had grown the point of enveloping my left kidney and spleen which were also removed with my transverse colon. By the grace of god it had not gotten into my lymphatic system, but I still have chemo to go through, however my oncologist has a very good prognosis for recovery so far.

Zeno,
    Thanks for your input however the symptoms you had are categorised under Nausea and vomiting in the original post.
    Hoping your oncologist is right and you make a complete recovery and remain NED.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear

Motto

Newbie New User

Thanks, from Brooklyn, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    There has been many posts from guests and members worried they may have Bowel cancer herein after referred to as Colorectal Cancer (CRC).

The following is not to be construed or used in any way as a medical diagnostic pathway. It is a compendium of symptoms that may indicate the possibility of CRC.

Again from the worried posters, it is evident that many if not all have used a search engine such as Google to explore the symptoms they have.
    Remember, whatever search criteria one uses relating to loose motions,change in bowel habits, mucus in stools, blood in stools will lead you to a site that says Colon Rectal Cancer.

In fact the majority of posters go on to receive the good news they don't have CRC, but some others digestive disorder such as IBS, Diverticulisis, Ulcerative Colitis or Chrohn's disease to name but a few.

Following is a list of the most common medically recognised symptoms that may indicate the presence of Colorectal Cancer.

The list is for reference purposes only and does not constitute, infer or suggest a diagnosis. A diagnosis can only be made by a medically qualified doctor following exhaustive tests and procedures.

IF IN ANY DOUBT A QUALIFIED DOCTOR SHOULD BE CONSULTED.

SYMPTOMS

Blood in stools (faeces) or bleeding from the rectum

Change in normal bowel habits that has lasted for 3 weeks or more.
    Such as
    -Diarrhoea
    -Constipation
    -Passing stools more frequently
    -Change in stool formation
    Stringy
    Narrow
    Pellets
    -Passing Mucus with stools

Abdominal pain normally present below and the left side of belly button.

Unexplained weight loss

Anaemia

Fatigue

Breathlessness

Feeling bloated with the prescence of excessive gas (that has lasted for more than 3 weeks).

Vomiting.

The above list is not exhaustive, but highlights symptoms that should NOT BE IGNORED.

Bowel / Colorectal Cancer (CRC) can affect any part of the Colon and Rectum. Most commonly developes in the descending colon, the sigmoid colon or rectum.

CRC usually but not always developes from a polyp which has formed in the lining of the colon or rectum which becomes cancerous.

Some rare types of CRC arise from other cells within the wall of the Colon or Rectum which become cancerous and as yet these rare cancers are not fully understood as why the cells become cancerous.

RISK FACTORS.

AGE.
    Predominently CRC is most common in older people, 8 out of 10 diagnosed are older than 60 years.
    Yet, CRC can be diagnosed in people in their teens (extremely uncommon) and throughout up to middle age and beyond.
    Evidence suggests that the older one becomes the greater the risk factor of developing CRC.

Suggestions that a close relative has had CRC may indicate a gene factor but not always.

If you have had Chrohn's disease or Ulcerative Colitis for more than 10 years.

Obesity indicates increased risk

Lifestyle factors
    Little if any exercise increases the risk of CRC developing
    Excessive alcohol consumption.

Dietry.
    Although the jury is till out on what factor processed meats and foods
    may increase the risk of developing CRC, it is recognised that a well
    balanced healthy diet is beneficial in possibly reducing the incidence
    of CRC as well as reducing many more unwelcome illnesses.

I hope this so called check list is of some use and provides guidance to those that are considering posting under "Worried you may have Cancer" or on the new members or Colon Cancer Forum.
    Remember NOT EVERY DIGESTIVE OR BOWEL PROBLEM IS CANCER.

We can't make a diagnosis and we will not attempt to guess. What we can do and it is our mission is to attempt to guide, help and support those that unfortunately need to find us, be here even if you are just worried you may have CRC and in the unfortunate event you are diagnosed we will attempt to support you every step of the way.
    You are not alone, we are all cancer sufferers, carers and or survivors, as we have all been in the place you think you may be or are in, what you feel, we feel, your worries are our worries, we shall do whenever and whatever it takes to get each and every one of you through what are your darkest days.

Finally don't be all doom and gloom, take a look at our members yes, some are fighting for their very lives, but still support others and newbies, carers that have gone beyond every call of duty, those riding the roller coaster of surgery and chemotherapy and those that through what is the miracle of modern medicine are surviving and living a relatively or indeed normal life.
    We hope all of you that come here can leave us with a no cancer diagnosis or walk the hard and difficult road and eventually become a "SURVIVOR".

It doesn't matter if you have read the details above and are still concerned or you have been diagnosed

We will attempt to help you however we can.

Our members on the CRC forum are an amazing bunch of what I would say are some of the nicest, kindest and knowledgable people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

We don't have all the answers to every question, but collectively on the CRC with the personal knowledge and experience we manage pretty good.
    WE know as we are all there or have been there.
    Barry

Rider

We are not advertising for business, but going through the worry of pre diagnosis can be the most stressful of times for you, your family and relatives.

We regard ourselves as a international family, if you are new or an old hand you are part of our family and we look after our family. There is no need to be scared or anxious or frightened to ask questions or post your experiences, vent, scream or shout (excepting profanity which we don't tolerate) but please don't worry alone.
    Whatever and whenever our family door is wide open.
    Thank you so much Barry. You are a true warrior from the posts I've been reading. I am relieved after reading this post as I am not sure, but after reading your post I think I do not have cancer. I've been crying for the past 3 days at night when I lie in bed, just scared that at 25 years old I could have cancer. But no blood in my stool, no weight loss, no anemia and I am missing a lot of other symptoms as well. Have been severely constipated (someone who used to "go"
    2x a day) and having belly ache, bloating, change in shape of stool. Today I found a lump under my left rib cage. Going to gastroenterologist on Thursday. Hope it's nothing to worry about, but I just feel so different that I know there must be something wrong. It frustrates me because no one takes me seriously, people tell me I'm just constipated when I know my body is telling me there's something different. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you and stay strong. I'm gonna have to steal your motto. I really like it!

Newbie New User

Confused and Worried

Hi everyone. Wasnt sure if to post here or start a new thread but as I am yet undiagnosed I thought here was better.

About 5 weeks ago I had a bout of diarrhea that seemed to clear up after a few days. Since then I have had loose bowel movements up till now. I visited my doctor who did a digital rectal exam. I had mentioned that I had noticed bleeding but bright red and only on the tissue assumed was haemorhoids. After the DRE he said was fine, no bleeding. He ordered blood tests and told me to provide a stool sample which I did. The day after my visit I received a letter from the hosital to advise that I was on a 2 week waiting list for a colorectal examination. This freaked me out totally as I assumed the only reason for this was suspected colon cancer. The doctor did not mention this to me the previous day (I would add he was not my regular doctor and I was annoyed that he had not mentioned).

I have an appointment this friday (19th) for a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy which of course I am worried about. I called the doctors today for an update on my bloods and stool sample. Stool sample I have to do again as they forgot to put my date of birth on it

I was told by the nurse that my bloods show an issue with Iron. Either too high or too low. She could not tell me which and I have to make an appointment to discuss that with them next week. Other issue was increased cholestral in my blood. Not sure what this means to a possible cancer diagnosis.

Today my neck glands are slightly swollen but not painful, just tender to the touch and I have a slight fever. I have experimented with my diet and cut Gluten and my stools have firmed up. Its just a very confusing and worrying time and things seem to be moving at a snails pace. So glad I found this forum and to know there are others out there in similar situations.

Patrick

Newbie New User
    I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I'm new here.

I was diagnosed in September 2007 with Ulcerative Colitis. I have had a total of 3 flare ups a few hospital stays as a result. However with the exception of a mild and short lived flare a few years ago, I have been in complete remission since 2010. Then last month I started seeing bright red blood, mucus and blood clots. This was not new to me having UC and my stools were still normal otherwise. Usually it goes away after a few days especially with probiotics. This time it hasn't and now I am having "gas pains" and bloating feeling along with cramping and tons of pressure to the point where I almost constantly feel the need to go as well as stool changes. I'm going to my new PCP tomorrow to ask for a referral to a GI since we recently changed insurance. I am actually overdue for my routine colonoscopy anyway so it cant hurt to get one.

My main concern is that I do not have the usual symptoms for it to be a UC flare. This feels different.

I am 34 years old married with a 10 yr old daughter.

Lisa

Newbie New User

Re patch64

You are doing a great job advocating for yourself! It's so irritating when docs don't tell u stuff. Hang in there and keep advocating! Try not to worry too much until there's something to worry about.
    Last edited by nygcrochet; 05-17-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: mistake