A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Oxidant Supplements and Chemo/Radiation therapy

My sister and mother have begun going to a day spa. One of the treatments they receive is a detox wrap which was developed by an oncologist to help remove the chemo from his patients' systems after chemotherapy. We were told when Lovey began treatment that chemo leaves the body within 48 hours after the dose is received.

G, I agree with you re: what seems to me to be contradictory perspectives and very limited knowledge of nutrition & dietary supplements as companion to and after chemotherapy. There's a lot that they can't, won't or don't answer, or to which they respond to with disparaging overtones. We're asking about basic nutrition to support optimum health, not soliciting their opinions on the latest quack/miracle cures from Gonedollaland.

One of my frustrations as Lovey's caregiver is that "they" focus on cancer to the exclusion of all else. He's still a person who has gout if he doesn't watch what he eats, needs corrected vision, has a cataract, and needs dental work. It further frustrates me when faced with such situations as having to pay out of pocket for eye exams because insurance doesn't cover "vision" despite the fact that the side effects of the chemotherapy include vision problems.

I take supplements because my primary care provider told me to. It was either fish oil and a 10 minute walk every day or prescription blood pressure medicine. The blood pressure is down from 135/85-90 to 120/80, but I'm still on a diuretic until the BP is back down to what was normal for me. The diuretic (also for the blood pressure) predisposes me to low levels of potassium and magnesium, so I have Rx potassium and OTC magnesium. I take Vitamin D to complement my antidepressant medication and deal with some of the symptoms of menopause; I also take a B-complex and just added black cohosh & melatonin for that. That's a lot of dog-gone supplements, but they're still less expensive than the copays for Rx's.

However, it's also worth noting that it's said we Americans have the most expensive urine in the world because of all the unnecessary dietary supplements we take. Courtesy of said B-complex, right now my urine appears more "radioactive" than Lovey's.

MM
    Caregiver to my significant other.
    May 2008: transrectal procedure for Stage I CRC. Age 59
    April 2013: Finally "sick enough" to go to the Dr. CAT scan.
    May 2013: PET scan, surgical biopsy. DX'd terminal, inoperable, recurrent, metastatic, hypermetabolic StageIV CRC w/mets to liver & lymph node in neck
    June 2013: Port placement. Oxaliplatin, Erbitux, Xeloda
    August 2013: PET scan; NED
    September 2013: surgical repair of inguinal hernia
    November 2013: PET scan; NED
    January 2014: Changed out oxi for Irinotecan; continue Erbitux, Xeloda
    March 2014: PET scan; NED

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Certain supplements can raise your risk of cancer
    Age 60
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    It was either fish oil and a 10 minute walk every day or prescription blood pressure medicine.
    Thirty mins of moderate exercise every day is the best (and free) supplement that you can take. Studies indicate it can reduce the chances of colon cancer recurrence by up to 60%. Not bad for something that doesn't cost anything.
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourlegsgood View Post
    Thirty mins of moderate exercise every day is the best (and free) supplement that you can take. Studies indicate it can reduce the chances of colon cancer recurrence by up to 60%. Not bad for something that doesn't cost anything.
    Precisely,well said.
    Age 60
    Stage 2a

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I take fish oil. magnesium for leg cramps and glucosamine and Chondroiten (sp?) for joints. One of my dogs is also on fishoil and the joints one as per vet advice.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ChemoMan View Post
    Precisely,well said.
    Exercise, proper nutrition and rest ... and perhaps a good mental attitude should be pre requisites .. the default behavior. Supplements are supplementary things you do in addition to the default behavior to enhance both normal healthy practices and , hopefully , reparation of the body that is in a disease state.
    -----
    I guess it is possible that people sometimes rely too heavily on taking supplements alone without the prerequisites --> 1. good diet 2. exercise 3. rest 4. proper mental attitude. I am not sure of the benefit you would get from just taking supplements alone. In fact, it might be unhealthy to do so.
    -----
    We do live in a pill-popping society right now and it could be that the normalization of taking pills for everything affects the way we approach supplements. Do not think that is a good approach or idea.
    I tend to view supplements as miracle food products taken from the many miraculous plants, most still unknown to man, that grow on this planet. Probably there are miracle herbs and plants growing in the amazon right now that have yet to be discovered.

Blog Entries
    I tend to view supplements as miracle food products taken from the many miraculous plants, most still unknown to man, that grow on this planet. Probably there are miracle herbs and plants growing in the amazon right now that have yet to be discovered.
    Indeed.

Vincristine which is a chemo drug is derived from a plant that grows in Madagascar. Doxorubicin is another chemo drug that is derived from a microbe that grows in the soil first found in Italy. I am sure future compounds will be found in nature to help us in the fight against cancer.

Studies have been done on fish oil and it was found that any benefits of taking it are far outweighed by incorporating fish into your diet. In other words you are better off eating fish than swallowing the capsules. This is the same for everything. Eating a good diet is best and if you do taking supplements will not help you it will just drain your wallet. As pointed out some supplements are in fact detrimental to your health so buyer beware.

I am moving this thread to the nutrition forum
    Age 60
    Stage 2a

I eat a lot of fish and take the fish oil on my Oncs advice.
    Yummmm, crispy skin salmon, freshly caught trout, tuna, sardines...the list goes on. There are always frozen fillets on hand too. One of my fave foods.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Prettybird
    2014 Study: Intravenous Vitamin C May Boost Chemo's Cancer-Fighting Power

Lab study found it also left healthy cells unharmed, but experts say more research needed

Link to article: http://consumer.healthday.com/cancer...er-684595.html

A few excerpts:

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 5, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Large doses of intravenous vitamin C have the potential to boost chemotherapy's ability to kill cancer cells, according to new laboratory research involving human cells and mice.

Finally, the team conducted a pilot phase clinical trial involving 27 patients with stage III or stage IV ovarian cancer.

The patients who received intravenous vitamin C along with their chemotherapy reported less toxicity of the brain, bone marrow and major organs, the investigators found.

These patients also appeared to add nearly 8.75 months to the time before their disease relapsed and progressed, compared with people who only received chemotherapy. The researchers did note that the study was not designed to test the statistical significance of that finding.

But vitamin C's cancer-killing potential hasn't been taken seriously by mainstream medicine ever since clinical trials performed by the Mayo Clinic with oral vitamin C in the late 1970s and early 1980s found no anti-cancer effects, she explained.

Researchers have since argued that those trials were flawed because vitamin C taken orally is absorbed by the gut and excreted by the kidneys before its levels can build up in the bloodstream.

Prettybird
    One cannot lump all anti-oxidants into the same basket. In particular, one must be careful with bioflavonoids. Even though they are "anti-oxidants," they also slow down the detoxification systems in the body. Excessive amounts, as can be reached by using high dose supplements, can be detrimental. Bioflavonoids are phenolics, like estrogen. The liver has to detoxify them using the same pathways. Hence, an overload of bioflavonoids can interfere with the disposal of estrogen. Excessive estrogen, especially if not balanced with natural progesterone, is cancer causing.

Let's take the popular bioflavonoid called quercetin as an example. Quercetin (or quercitin or yellow dye #10) is often tooted as an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. Yet a little quercetin has anti-oxidant properties, but a lot has oxidant properties, at least in vitro. [1] Quercetin is advertised as generally non-toxic and beneficial. However, just like other bioflavonoids, it may interfere with the removal of estrogen. It could be particularly harmful when you are estrogen dominant.

“quercetin did not significantly enhance tumour incidence, except that of renal tumours induced by oestradiol in a model in hamsters.” [2]

Quercetin is mutagenic.

“Quercetin increased the frequency of DNA damage and lipid peroxidation in liver nuclei of rats in vitro.” [2]

I suggest that you get your bioflavonoids from food and avoid supplements that have a lot of bioflavonoids in them. In fact, if the PST detoxification system that deals with phenolics is weak, some people must even avoid the bioflavonoids in food. (Unfortunately, weak PST enzymes are common in people with autism. Some of these people must go on a "white" diet, because the colors in food contain phenolics.)

References

1. Stadler RH, Markovic J, Turesky RJ, “In vitro anti- and pro-oxidative effects of natural polyphenols,” Biol Trace Elem Res 1995 Jan-Mar;47(1-3):299-305

2. These quotes are from an article by the IARC Monographs Programme on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, of the World Health Organization. http://193.51.164.11/htdocs/monographs/Vol73/73-18.html