A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anti-Oxidant Supplements and Chemo/Radiation therapy

A nutrition & supplement related question: has anyone been prescribed Vitamin D to support Rx meds prescribed to treat neuropathy? (I'm still searching for more info on this.) I have, however, learned that all the topical creams for diabetic neuropathy can be used by people who have neuropathy from chemo.

On a separate but related note, to the point chemoman raised:

St.John's Wort (natural remedy for depression) is known to interact with chemotherapy (WebMD doesn't specify whether it's all chemo or specific types of chemo).

A good many of the women's supplements recommended for menopausal symptoms are known to be carcinogenic, ineffective, interact with acetaminophen (pain reliever) and erythromycin (an antibiotic), or to be stressful to the liver. Although they are not estrogen, they have to be detoxified by the liver like estrogen.

Something else to be careful with, with supplements, is dosage. Many of them are sold in amounts three, four, or more times greater than the recommended daily intake. You don't need more than the RDI unless your healthcare professional tells you otherwise. Some dietary supplements accumulate in the body rather than have the excess be excreted in bodily waste; others act as poisons when taken in excessive amounts.

I should have looked into dosage more before I began taking the black cohosh...which is a source of frustration, because I *did* do my research and have been careful to add things one at a time instead of in a multi-symptom formula for menopausal women. I tripped over the dosage info while searching for something else. Apparently, the recommended dosage is 50 mg. The caplets I bought are more than 10x that amount; the multi-symptom formulas I looked at contain the amount I purchased, and I wasn't able to find it in a smaller dose.

As everyone has said, supplements are not a replacement for a balanced diet of nutrient-dense foods. I wouldn't be taking them if my nurse hadn't told me I needed to.

MM
    Caregiver to my significant other.
    May 2008: transrectal procedure for Stage I CRC. Age 59
    April 2013: Finally "sick enough" to go to the Dr. CAT scan.
    May 2013: PET scan, surgical biopsy. DX'd terminal, inoperable, recurrent, metastatic, hypermetabolic StageIV CRC w/mets to liver & lymph node in neck
    June 2013: Port placement. Oxaliplatin, Erbitux, Xeloda
    August 2013: PET scan; NED
    September 2013: surgical repair of inguinal hernia
    November 2013: PET scan; NED
    January 2014: Changed out oxi for Irinotecan; continue Erbitux, Xeloda
    March 2014: PET scan; NED

Prettybird
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    A nutrition & supplement related question: has anyone been prescribed Vitamin D to support Rx meds prescribed to treat neuropathy? (I'm still searching for more info on this.)
    There is a correlation between low vitamin D and neuropathy in diabetics. However, I only found one case study where giving vitamin D by itself got rid of the diabetic neuropathy.

If you bring your vitamin D levels up, you may have to have your chemotherapy dose lowered. Here is a page devoted to studies of vitamin D and chemotherapy.

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Chemothe...d+by+vitamin+D

It says that vitamin D before or during chemotherapy may increase the effectiveness of the chemotherapy and shorten the recovery time. However, there is also a warning. If you use vitamin D, the dose of the chemotherapy may have to be reduced or it may be too strong for you. The chemotherapy doses were developed on a population that was generally low in vitamin D.

Prettybird
    You can have too much or too little vitamin D. A deficiency of vitamin D is usually defined as blood levels below 30 ng / mL. Too much is probably anything over 80 ng/mL. Here is a table of what various organizations think the levels should be. https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/abou...for-vitamin-d/

There are various regimens for bringing up vitamin D levels. Higher levels of supplementation than you might think are often needed in order to bring up the levels in a reasonable amount of time. Here is an article about how quickly various amounts of supplemental vitamin D will bring up the vitamin D blood readings in adults. “Evaluation of Vitamin D Repletion Regimens to Correct Vitamin D status in Adults.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683376

One of the more effective protocols described in that article uses 50,000 IU of vitamin D taken 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Then you retest. This brings up vitamin D levels much more quickly than the one pill per week schedule still employed by some doctors. There are exeptions to the rule though. Some people have very poor absorption of their fat soluble vitamins, and may need to take more than 3 pills per week. If it takes more than the 3 pills per week, then check the other fat soluble vitamins. They are probably low as well.

Vitamin D2 is the usual form pharmacies keep in stock. So, that is what you will probably get when your doctor prescribes vitamin D. However, most people consider the natural vitamin D3 a better form of the vitamin. It is available as a prescription in some countries. However, it may be more convenient to get vitamin D3 from a vitamin shop. If you wish to get 50,000 IU of vitamin D3 in one pill, you might look for the Bio Tech Pharmacal brand called D3-50. Unless your prescriptions are free, the Bio Tech D3 will most likely be a lot cheaper than your prescription copay for the D2.

You need to do regular testing when you use this much. If you are in a hurry to bring up you vitamin D levels, you may have to pay for some of the tests yourself, because medical insurance will generally only pay for vitamin D testing 4 times a year. You can order your own tests at one of the referral sites listed at the Vitamin D council website.

Be aware that when you bring up vitamin D, you are going to increase your absorption of calcium. One would think this is good. However, those with kidney stones should be wary of the increased influx of calcium. Those with heart fibrillation issues need to be aware of their calcium / potassium ratios.

Vitamin D is actually considered a hormone. It seems that most of your hormones work better when you have enough sulfates, including vitamin D. One more possible complication: The vitamin D might bring down your blood pressure. So, monitor your pressure when you take this. If you take blood pressure medication when you don’t need it, you might faint.

GcMAF activates the vitamin D receptors on macrophages. This helps your immune system get rid of infections and cancers. GcMAF seems to have some super impressive results in studies of cancer patients. However, please be aware, that all the cancer studies using this substance were on patients who had first debulked their cancer with at least one of the traditional means: surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or hormonal therapy. When it comes to cancer, GcMAF is not to be considered a therapy by itself, but it may be helpful, especially when it comes to helping your macrophages keep metastases and infections under control. http://gcmaf.timsmithmd.com/book/chapter/63/

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Nobody should ever take vitamin D before getting their blood levels checked. If you have normal amounts in your blood then there is no need for supplementation. You should get your D levels checked every 3 months if taking supplements to be on the safe side. Too much Vitamin D is toxic so those blood tests are important
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't have cancer
    If you do not have cancer or are not caring for someone with cancer then you should really not be here at the place that no one wants to be. While I understand that you want to help this is not the place to do this. This is a community of people who deal with cancer on a deeply personal level.

I wish you luck in your endeavours but please do not push your cause here.
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Regular User
    There are plenty of great supplements out there that all cancer patients should consider.

Turmeric has fantastic anti inflammatory properties and it backed by some pretty good research.

You can add a few others to that as well like green tea, grapeseed extract, CoEnQ10, cellfood.

If you have the money it is worth trying to stack the odds more in your favour and the worst most of these things can do is nothing really.

If you don't want to spend money on supplements something that might even be better than any supplements is using heat therapy like saunas, steam rooms or heating beds like biomats. Hyperthermia is gaining some credibility as an adjunct cancer therapy working on the theory that cancer cells are heat sensitive and can be killed by exposure to heat that leaves healthy cells untouched additionally heat therapy is supposed to boost the immune system.

Newbie New User

Anyone experienced Gcmaf or the Swiss Protocol ?

I've seen a mention of Gcmaf on this thread, so I wondered if anyone has tried this, or knows anyone who has ? I have not been able to find any reviews on the internet anywhere which I find strange as it sounds as if this 'supplement' has wonderful powers for fighting cancers.