A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hospice - a support thread

Thank you Amanda, well wishes and prayers are always appreciated.

Dar, my husband is doing OK, thanks for asking. He had quite a bout of constipation last week due to his narcotics, but we have that under control again. I'm adding prunes to his diet, so that we can try to avoid a repeat. Perhaps I should start a list of OTC helps (stool softeners, senna, enemas, etc), I'm sure that there are others who will/have/are now experiencing similar problems due to their pain meds.
    Tarceva hints in this thread.

Hospice - a support thread here .

A new addition, confusion. My husband is having short term memory problems, and confusion. The Hospice nurse does not feel it is contributable to his pain meds. Also, he is much weaker today. He was unable to get up to eat, and could not even sit up on the side of the bed to eat off a tray set next the bed. He had a liquid dinner through a straw, slightly propped up on pillows. It is surprising how in just one day he went from "slowly getting up and walking a dozen steps" to ... not.

Hopefully this is just a temporary change, and he'll recoup a bit and have a stronger day tomorrow.

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Spouse,

Sorry to hear how fast things are changing. My Dad also had days like that. It was a blessing to see the rebound the next day. Unfortunately those days become more frequent. (((((HUGS))))

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Irish, my husband did have a rebound of sorts today, at least mentally he was not as confused. His physical strength did rebound as well, and he agreed with the Hospice nurse that we'll end doing the showers and now go to sponge baths. That is a major compromise for him, a totally different reality for him from his "prior self".

I started a new thread asking advice about Dexamethasone (Decadron). I didn't want my question to be buried this thread on another topic (Hospice).
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...327#post242327
    Please check it out if you have experience with the drug.
    Last edited by Spouse; 06-11-2014 at 04:35 AM.

My wife Barbara passed away in hospice from pancreatic cancer that spread to her liver on 6/13/14. She had 2 local hospital stays for about a week each with a week at home in the middle. She was not able to continue chemo since she was so weak and her condition deteriorated day by day. I tried everything to get her more treatment, but her oncologist said it would shorten her life at this point. With great sadness, I let Barbara know what was happening (she had a string of a few very lucid days in late May) and she was okay with it. Her oncologist left the door open for her to be treated if she was stronger. Which never happened, she lasted 2 weeks in hospice and it was the best thing we could have done for her.

Experienced User
    Hi Bob, I am so very sorry for your loss. I find it so very hard to watch this journey happen to a loved one. My husband has been on hospice for about a month now and it was the best decision we have made. He is getting worse and it is so stressful, he is now having problems with shortness of breath and this is very scary for him and me, but hospice is right here for me guiding me through it step by step. Saying prayers for you and your family.
    Dar

Top User
    Dar, so sorry to hear that he is getting short of breath. Have they started oxygen yet?

Spouse, I hope your absence means that things are the same. Please know my prayers are with all who are on this thread for strength, endurance, and freedom from pain.

Amanda
    Caregiver to son, 32 , 5/18/2011 Stage IV
    Sigmoid colectomy , liver biopsy 5/18/2011
    6cm sigmoid tumor, low grade (well-to-mod. differentiated)
    6 of 33 lymph nodes +
    FOLFOX /Avastin 6/2011-8/2011
    Rt hepatectomy on 9/20/2011---70%
    FOLFOX /Avastin 4 cycles 1/31 stopped-low platelets
    3/5 CT clear
    4/ PET scan showed peritoneal mets
    4/24 splenic embolization for low platelets
    FOLFIRI/ Avastin 5/12-8/12
    Consult for HIPEC 8/12 denied---tumors too many, possibly in ureter.
    5FU/ Avastin 8/2012-2/2013
    12/5/12 scan tumors stable
    12/12 aranespt
    3/5 tumor progression in abdomin
    Restart FOLFIRI/ Avastin with lower dose of Irinotecan 3/11-3/25
    nuelasta shots
    ER - bowel obstruction 4/4
    Port removed 4/12
    Port replaced 5/9
    ER 30 hrs
    Erbitux in, Irinotecan lowered 5/20 & 6/17
    9/17scan indicates stable
    9/18-27 & 10/7-11 small bowel obst.
    Erbitux & Irinotecan 11/5, 12/2
    Bowel obst. 12/31
    1/8 urether stent
    1/17 Hospice
    3/27 started his heavenly journey

Experienced User
    Yes Ash we have started the oxygen, and I have to give him liquid morphine it get him to calm down....they are very scary when they happen. Yes Spouse how is your husband doing??
    Dar

With sadness I give this update that my husband has died.

I want to be reassuring to everyone reading this thread, I think I should put in a gentle reminder that Hospice is like any other group of people ... there are exceptional workers, and there might be less experienced or knowledgeable workers. If someone offers advice that does not seem right, ask questions and get the final word from the ones that you trust.

Experienced User
    Oh Spouse I am so so sorry.....I just don't know what to say...my prayers are with you.
    Dar