A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowel problems after colon resection

Tam tam, well put, that's why the sticky was started to get useful input.
    I would still suggest clearing with your surgeon/doctors after a resection.
    Never the less thanks for the input.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2.
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+4.
    Active surveillance ceased and intervention recommended.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 07/09 to be done.
    Just a little recurrence and another 20 cm of colon vanished under the knife.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Newbie New User
    Hey all, I'm just now registering on a forum to share my story 4.5 years after my rectal cancer diagnosis and treatment (2012 - 47yrs old). I was T3N0M0 Stage IIa. As close as you can get to breaking out of the colon. I had 5-6 weeks of radiation, and Zeloda chemo for about a year. LAR/TME after the radiation. That all went as good as could be expected. What I didn't quite expect and what I'm most interested in sharing is the difficulty that I experienced afterword and to this day. I've read all the "I have to go a million times a day til I'm raw and can hardly walk and leave the bathroom." I know that so well.

What I haven't seen much of, if any of here, is talk of enemas. I became so frustrated with my constant pooping - just a bit, followed by just a bit, and on and on. I visited my surgeon earlier this year (2016) in desperation. We talked about fiber - again! Then I mentioned how if I had a meal that didn't agree with me and had to sit on pot afterward - like a normal person that had had a meal that didn't agree with them - I felt better and didn't have to "go" till the next day. Well, after I said that, at the very end of our visit, he said why don't you try an enema - as if a light bulb had gone off in his head. So....for the better part of a year now, I've been doing the enema thing and its changed my life. What has happened with the loss of my rectum (and part of sigmoid - 27cm total) is permanent and my life is forever and permanently changed, BUT, if I "clean out" every morning, and if things are going as good as they can be, I can go 24 hrs until the next bowel clean out is necessary. I can spend an hour in the shower flushing water up my butt over and over again - poop coming out and down the drain. Sounds gross I know, but you get used to it and the HUGE upside is that you're free from poop for maybe the rest of the day! Freedom like you've never known.

I also take fiber to bulk up and slow things down. Still working on the right amount of that to this day. I've done the Imodium thing, but I found that drug pretty scary as its easy to get bad cramps if you take too much. I know everyone is different, but I just can't seem to tolerate having any poop in the lower region of my colon. And for almost 4 years I suffered needlessly - chasing the right amount fiber combined with the all the variables introduced by different foods. It was mind boggling to me. I suppose if you fixed the diet variable by eating the exact same thing in the same amounts at the same times each day - you could narrow down the right amount of fiber - but I can't eat the same thing every day. Not sure if anyone can.

One other thing I've learned is that with a the variables involved, when chasing the right amount of fiber for instance, the experiment cycle should be in terms of weeks, not days, to take into account anomalies and spikes. You have to visualize the overall trend of the graph. If you try a certain fiber amount for a week lets say, then decide that you'll try a different amount the next week - my experience is that that's too short of an experiment cycle and you'll get lost.

Uggg....fun stuff. Hope this might help some of you. Good luck!