A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: The long wait for new treatment. How long is too long?

The long wait for new treatment. How long is too long?

Hi,
    My husband is going to have y90 radioemobilation done to the right lobe of his liver and then one month later he will have the left done.
    My concern is that his last dose of chemo was May 8 and he isn't scheduled for the procedure until June 26. This seems like a long time to me to just let those tumors sit there.
    Does anyone have any idea how long is too long to wait for a procedure? I have a call in to his doctor now to ask this same question but am wondering what your experiences have been?
    Should we be concerned? I think the majority of the waiting is because of the long wait for the insurance companies approval. I had to move heaven and earth today to get it approved stat. They finally approved and scheduled it. But without my hell raising, when would they have done it? Good Lord!!

Has he been on avastin? If so this sometimes causes a wait d u e to bleeding. Let them know ins approved it. Good luck. I'm sure others can give more info.

Yes he has been on Avastin. I believe they do need a month after stopping it. We did get a return call from the oncologist and he wants him to take another round of chemo while we wait. So this is both a relief and a disappointment. I had sort of hoped he could move mountains and get his radiation moved up. But this will be better than nothing.
    Thanks for your response.

Glad he will do another chemo. And hoping radiation is soon, hugs, sharon