A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whipple

Regular User

Whipple

Hi I just found this forum. I am a 69 year old male that was diagnosed with "Carcinoma of Ampulla of Vater" in early December 2005. Four Doctor's from the local hospital all told me Whipple surgery was a no-brainier in my situation so I went for it. Surgery was set up with Dr John Bolton at Ochsner Hospital in New Orleans for 12-16-05. I was released from the hospital on 12-24-05. During the Whipple Dr Bolton took out the usual parts and I had Stage 2 cancer that had not spread so no Chemo in my case. I had problems with eating and the recovery for two months was not good (hospitalized twice) but then it completely turned around and my weight started to increase and I feel fine. I have some stomach stress from time to time but have found that by taking GasX it helped. In August and September I had my first checkup which included a Cat Scan, MRCP and a Liver Biopsy along with blood work. All the test were normal except for evaluated ALK Phos which is thought to be drug (meds) induced.

I just wanted to share that there is life after cancer and as for me I give all the glory to God for healing me. Life does exist after the Whipple procedure.

I have read lots of the stories on this forum and my heart goes out to each of you. Don't give up hope and trust in God who is with you on this journey as he has been with me.

Ken

Regular User
    Hi Ken!

Good to hear about your situation. This forum needs more stories like yours. My mother, who is 49, has recently been through a whipple, and is still very weak. It's been approx two months since the surgery was done, and we are still looking very hard for signs that she is starting to gain strength and actually starts the recovery. So far, we haven't seen these signs. The surgery was extremely succesful, the cancer hadn't spread at all, and the tumour was completely dead from all the chemos and radiation.

Was it something specific, that affected your recovery, and suddenly caused this turn around that you are telling us about? My mother is currently having huge problems with her food digestion, her illness is frequently preventing her from keeping the small amounts of food that she is able to eat. And due the weight she lost after this surgery, she is even looking more sick then ever, which is ironic, since she from a clinical point of view, not longer has cancer.

Regular User
    Hi Vismund,

Glad to share.

I started feeling better when my Doctor put me on the medicine Zelnorm, 3mg twice daily. Prior to that food did not taste good, would not move in the stomach and I just did not have an appetite. Even water did not taste good. The only thing I could eat at that time was Mashed Potatoes and Peaches. Would feel bloated after a couple of bites of food. Not long after starting this medicine I also had the feeding tube removed and after that I really started feeling better, could not get enough to eat and have not looked back. Surgery on 12-16-2005. Feeding tube removed on 2-9-2006. Will able to walk two miles by March. Took a month long RV trip in April. Went caching (my favorite sport) which involves lots of walking during the RV trip.

Tiredness has been there the entire time until the last two months or so. You still have to adjust your eating to what agrees with you and eat smaller portion but often. Prior to surgery my weight was 162. I got down to 133 and currently weight 150. I could weight more but feel good at this weight so have held it.

Still have some stomach problems that are solved with Gas-X.

Glad to answer any questions but keep in mind what worked for me may not work for others.

I am aware that my cancer could come back but for this time God has removed it and allowed me to be cancer free. All the Glory goes to him.

Ken

Regular User
    Has been a while since I posted on this forum but just wanted to say that I had my Cat Scan and blood tests on 3-14-2007 and all signs indicate that I am cancer free. It has been 15 months since my Whipple and each day is better. I am able to walk 3 miles and eat most anything except spicy food. I am very thankful and blessed for being here and my heart goes out to each person as they are tested daily. God is with each one of you.

Experienced User
    Such GREAT news! From what I've learned, the Whipple surgery is the only thing that works. Miracles aside.

Thanks for sharing the good news. I wish my brother had had the option. I miss him every day.

Big Sister

Regular User
    I am now 35 months, one week post PC and remain Cancer free at my last checkup about one month ago. Recently I had a scare of possible return of my cancer but it turned out to be Ulcerative Colitis which I am very thankful and blessed.

There seems to be lots of bad news here from time to time that I thought I would revive this thread to make sure no one gives up hope. We are all in this together so keep thinking positve.

Sure the Whipple is not easy from start to current time but it is a chance for a cure. As stated, it worked for me but every case if different.

With that said, I give all the credit to my condition to God who give me strength and has blessed me from the beginning. I trust in him and what ever his will is fine with me.
    Ken

Ampulla of Vater Carcinoma
    Whipple Procedure 12-16-2005
    Tumor Staging: pT2 pNO pMX
    Moderately differentiated invasive Adenocarcinoma of Ampulla of Vater, 3.0 CM Tumor Invading but not through Muscularis Propria
    Two Oncologist stated no benefit would be gained with Chemo or Radiation so none was performed

Regular User

6 weeks post op

Glad to read your post.Was wondering how things would go for me post op,had trouble with fats but now on enzymes and things are improving everyday.Have a question for you tho how was,is your temper mine has shortened dramaticly,I am aware of it and am trying to curb it,think it might be rollercoaster ride of emotions causing it and now I am cancer free I am hoping Il settle down.

Regular User

Re: 6 weeks post op

Quote Originally Posted by kezza1
    Glad to read your post.Was wondering how things would go for me post op,had trouble with fats but now on enzymes and things are improving everyday.Have a question for you tho how was,is your temper mine has shortened dramaticly,I am aware of it and am trying to curb it,think it might be rollercoaster ride of emotions causing it and now I am cancer free I am hoping Il settle down.
    I can't say that I have had any problem with my temper since the Whipple. I have counted my blessing that the Lord has given me some more time on this earth. If you sit around and think too much about all this it may get to you. I have a hobby that I enjoy and it keeps me busy. Good luck to you. May God bless.
    Ken

Ampulla of Vater Carcinoma
    Whipple Procedure 12-16-2005
    Tumor Staging: pT2 pNO pMX
    Moderately differentiated invasive Adenocarcinoma of Ampulla of Vater, 3.0 CM Tumor Invading but not through Muscularis Propria
    Two Oncologist stated no benefit would be gained with Chemo or Radiation so none was performed

Regular User
    I don't know that I have trouble with temper but have noticed that I have less patience with BS. I mean really, if you know me and know what I went through especially post op (I was dead on the table for a little while), why would you continue to worry about nothing? I am going day by day giving praise for this life and honestly can't wait to see our Lord face to face. St. Paul said it best when he said

"Life to me, of course, is Christ, but then death would be a positive gain.
    On the other hand again, if to be alive in the body gives me an opportunity for fruitful work, I do not know which I should choose. I am caught in this dilemma: I want to be gone and to be with Christ, and this is by far the stronger desire and yet for your sake to stay alive in this body is a more urgent need. "Phil 1:21-24

There it is no matter where I am I am the Lords.

God Bless
    Aaron

After reading the suffering some of you have been through I feel humble and blessed.
    I was working in India with my Company in October 2007 then went home to Scotland for a week before taking up an assignment in Houston.
    After four days I had bad wind ( gas) and developed a sharp pain in my right rib cage and centre of my spine. Investigation at the emergency Clinic in Sugarland showed an abnormality so I was admitted to St Lukes.
    There I had a biopsy and further test which showed I had acute Pancreitus and suspected cancer. I spent 9 days in hospital then was let out for 6 whilst the pancreas settled down.
    I had a whipple performed by Dr Berakat and his wonderful team in St Lukes. I had very little pain and was walking 2 days after surgery discharged after six days.
    I went back to work after three weeks and worked whilst having chemo.
    I take enymens but am still blessed with little pain , I put down my experience to faith in the good Lord and very good surgeons , doctors and nurses.
    God Bless them all.
    Hope this gives those who are frightened by this horrible disease confidence to have faith.

Best wishes,

Andrew Mcgrath
    Andrew G McGrath