A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: 8 y/o daughter undergoing leukemia testing.

Newbie New User

Unhappy 8 y/o daughter undergoing leukemia testing.

Hi, my baby girl, Abby started having right leg and hip pain a few months back but she was an active girl due for a growth spurt so we chalked it up to that. Around the same time she began developing constant flu like symptoms every month or so. Always began with a mild runny nose and then the fever would come, it would hover near 102=103 for days while she sat listless for that time on the couch. Somewhere in there the vomiting would follow even though she would totally lose her appetite. It wasn't severe, but typically once a day, usually in the morning she'd throw up. I kept taking her to different doctors, even the ER a few times and kept getting told it was a bad year for viruses.

Well, this has been going on for several months and the last doctor suggested we treat her aggressively for seasonal allergies. Two inhalers, Rx nose spray and claritin every day. For the first two weeks she seemed to be improving although her appetite was still poor and she's lost weight since around December through now.

Not four weeks later from our last ER visit she comes home this past Monday from school looking pale, exhausted and tells me her leg is hurting, her stomach is hurting again and she aches everywhere, she even had to nap in the nurses office at school. By the following morning the fever had set in, really high this time and my husband and I had had enough and took her to Children's Hospital in Seattle (they are the Taj Mahal of children's care on the west coast). Sure enough her cbc came back with high white blood cell counts for the fourth time in as many months and the did Xray to rule out fracture in the pained leg, ultrasound to rule out appendix and more urine and blood work. Her lymph nodes are swollen and visible when she lifts her head so before letting us go home to get some rest (we were there until 6am) they made it clear she needed a bone scan immediately and to set one up as soon as they could get her in (we live North of Seattle and our Dr's are up here). They called our medical center to make sure it was pushed through as urgent as she is showing a lot of signs of leukemia.

Now, I'm currently living with my mother to care for her and have been doing so for two years. She's only 62 but after a 6 year remission her breast cancer came back in the chest wall of her mastectomy site and even though she had 4 major thoracic procedures to remove the tumor, three months later it metasticised to her lungs and she is now terminal. She is state disabled due to memory loss and needs a medical advocate for each and every procedure, appointment and phone call and that person is me. Seems irellavent to my daughter's case but I just cannot imagine slowly losing my mother and having Abby sick like that ever, let alone now.

I am just terrified. Has anyone else's child had similar symptoms and had the bone scan come back normal? What else could all this be? A fever that last for days and comes back every couple of weeks, random vomiting, stomach pains, leg and hip pain that is worsening, headache, fatigue, weight loss, lack of interest in previously favourite activities and foods? Swollen lymph nodes in the neck that would sometimes make it painful for her to swallow? Constant elevated white blood cell count??? Now she needs a bone scan and we'll "go from there"

Please help walk me through whats to come and be honest with me? I need all the support I can get

Thank you so much to everyone who got through all of this

JJB:

I am so sorry your Abby is having these problems. And I am very glad you found your way to the excellent facility you are going to now. I have no idea about the symptoms of childhood leukemia, so I cannot answer your specific questions. Hopefully, one of our other members who does know about this will come along soon and weigh in. For the moment, I can only imagine the anguish you must be feeling, and the stress. I would be crazy sick with worry if it were me. What I can say is that there a lots of knowledgeable and empathetic people around here, and they will be along. But know that there are a whole lot of prayers and best wishes heading Abby's way, and your way as well. Please keep us posted, if you will.
    til then, lots of hugs

David
    67 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1 (ALK-)
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. All fine, save a bit of arthritis.
    11/14/14: 24 month post transplant check-up--still NED.
    5/15/15: No NED this time. Relapse confirmed/ started every 3 week brentuximab
    Allo transplant in Feb 2016.
    100 day post transplant scans in June 2016 fine.
    3 yr. post SCT check up: all fine, no issues.

Regular User
    I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter's health struggles. I hope it's something that they can cure, and that she'll be able to live a long and healthy life.

Good luck going forward

Newbie New User
    Hello , I am so sorry to about your daughter and I dont know if you had any result
    for her as yet , but it sounds like it could be Acute Lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL)
    My daughter Mariah was only four when she started to have those same symptoms and
    just like you the doctors was diagnosing her with flu, fever and bone infections at one point
    They even said that it was strep throat , but in the end after it was suggested by another doctor
    to test for cancer unfortunately it was blood cancer ALL Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
    She is 8 year old now and finished chemotherapy 1 year ago so she is in remission for a year now.

Regular User
    So sorry about your daughter, my sister was diagnosed with Leukemia when she was a kid, she didn’t have all the symptoms your daughter have, just some of them like leg and hip pain, headache and fatigue. Best wishes for you and your daughter

Common symptoms include:

Fatigue or pale skin
    Infections and fever
    Easy bleeding or bruising
    Extreme fatigue or weakness
    Shortness of breath
    Coughing
    Other symptoms may include:

Bone or joint pain
    Swelling in the abdomen, face, arms, underarms, sides of neck, or groin
    Swelling above the collarbone
    Loss of appetite or weight loss