A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: mother of 8 in icu- desperate and looking for optipns

mother of 8 in icu- desperate and looking for optipns

My mothers right now is hospitalized at Northwestern in Chicago, Illinois she has been battling multiple myeloma for 2+ years now. A year ago it had gone into remission after 2 stem cell treatments. But just recently it started coming back. But not like the first this time the myeloma came in a more aggressive form. Just a week ago she was hospitalized and brought to the Northwestern Emergency room because she had been experiencing excessive pain and a burning sensation in her body. At first they wanted to move her to the Womens Prentice side of the hospital to treat her cancer. Then the doctors decided to move her to the ICU because she was having a hard time "breathing" and may be experiencing and "infection". So they moved her up there she has been here already for a week and the hospital has yet to find where the infection is or even if there ever was and infection. They now have her hooked up to a ventilator with a breathing tube in to help her breathing but it seems like its not really doing her any good. Then the doctors are coming in the room now saying she doesn't have that many options and it just seems like there giving up on her. My family and I feel like Northwestern really isn't giving us that many options and there giving up on our mother were willing to do anything for her money isn't and a problem were willing to do anything. Can you please helps us out refer us to anyone, give us a better opinion, were willing to fly her out there by you guys to treat her. Can you please i'm begging you for the sake of our mother tells us what to do.

Super Moderator Top User
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's situation. Having been through this with my sister I know what it is like. You're at one of the best hospitals in your region, and I don't know if you'll hear anything better elsewhere. But you might try contact the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and seeing if they have anything else to recommend. They have a good reputation for treating this disease. Here is the contact page:http://www.mayoclinic.org/appointments